when i run apt-get auto remove i get 4 not to upgrade result. what does it mean?

it mostly means that apt needs to pull some new dependencies in order to install some new packages that were held back (not installed) during the last apt-get upgrade operation.
usually you can force an upgrade with:

apt-get dist-upgrade

be careful though, if they're being held back sometimes it's for a very good reason.

The Following User Says Thank You to adancau For This Useful Post:
Posts: 156 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
I thought apt-get dist-upgrade was a very bad idea? I wouldn't at least recommend it...

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bolton, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by asidana View Post
when i run apt-get auto remove i get 4 not to upgrade result. what does it mean?
If it says 4 not upgraded then that means there are newer versions of installed packages available, but if they're not showing as updates in the application manager then they're of no use to you on their own. Best to leave them alone.

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Pennsylvania, US
Packages that are "not to upgrade" are held back for one reason or another. Typically packages are held back because they have unmet dependencies. For example, you install package foo version 1 and two months later package foo version 2 is released, which now requires package bar (which is not installed) - since package bar is not installed, the dependencies for package foo version 2 aren't met and it is held back.

Using apt-get dist-upgrade is more dangerous - it'll allow apt to pull in packages which are not already installed (which will allow it to satisfy dependencies, when possible, in cases of held back packages). I've done it on my N900, but you have to be very, very, VERY careful what packages you allow it to upgrade/install - especially on Maemo. I've heard stories of people bricking their device due to a dist-upgrade... so proceed with extreme caution if you seriously think about trying this.

Last edited by rewt; 2010-01-12 at 01:54.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Try parameter "--just-print" in apt-get first and see what would be done.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
try "apt-get dist-upgrade" and you will get additional information. some thin like x additional packages will be installed and y packages will be removed.
After you will get this information you will get question continue you can answer NO. But you will get answer.

Package is not upgraded by "apt-get upgrade" if is necessary to add new package or remove some package.

You can put result of "apt-get dist-upgrade" here and somebody will tell can you do it or not.....

have maemo-luncher is not to upgrade list after update . would it be ok if i do apt-get dist-upgrade and update it?

I have open a bug about that this morning

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7965

I dont really see that as a "bug". That is the design of apt-get, and is a safety feature. Certain packages are held back to protect your system because it needs you to manually check that it's OK to do that.

Also.. you'd be surprised how many packages you don't see in the Application Manager that you'll see in apt-get.. and this is by design. A good portion of those packages your normal user has absolutely no need to deal with. Red Pill mode granted access to these.. as well as other things - and it obviously created enough of a stir as to get removed.

Anyway, doesn't surprise me at all that apt finds updates that Application Manager doesn't. It's just the way the system is setup.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!