Active Topics

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Connecticut
Firmware update worked flawlessly for me here in US @ Connecticut. Also it gave me about 20mb free space in rootfs which is reaaaally nice Maemo also runs a little speedier, but not sure if it's actually the firmware or just me. Anyhow it's a great update + working ovi store )

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Here's the simplest answer to your question: if you at any time accepted the warning given in the preamble to all descriptions of how to enable Extras-devel or Extras-testing repository, and installed one or more apps from those repositories, you should know about it.
There is a more real solution - read http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33429
You can download X-Terminal shell script from http://pastebin.com/f1355fe1f and execute it to find out how much root file space is consumed by each package. But don't try to move files with this script if you don't understand the process - it can be dangerous and difficult to fix.

BTW, the solution "remove applications installed from Extras-devel or Extras-testing" does not work actually - most of them pulls HUGE libraries to root file space and that libraries are NOT automatically removed by application removal. You should target it specifically with red pill ON + careful research of packages dependencies OR use 'dpkg autoremove' from X-Terminal root shell... with some luck...

Last edited by egoshin; 2010-01-12 at 00:14.

haha the update added more to the rootfs then it took for me. but then again i had recently reflashed and reinstalled everything so it was at 68 percent. now it's up to 71. oh well.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Starting updating, took forever, then at the end it said "Error Encountered with Nokia Software Updater", then nothing, won't turn on at all now.

I'm really fed up with all this ****. I love the phone, but Nokia needs to realize just because they have something allot of people want releasing a product with the same 'Shitty *** CS and product support' is not going to bump them back up in the cell world.

I've been very reserved up until now with voicing complaints as I didn't have any issues before, probably because I didn't download PC Suite or NSU.

**** it, returning the phone for full refund. Will revisit the product over summer to see if it's gotten any better though I doubt it considering Nokia half the time doesn't know wtf is going on their regions.

-Socrates 469 BC

Last edited by spinnukur; 2010-01-12 at 18:17.

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
updated mine successfully.. didn't see big changes on the phone except the icons and etc... Ovi store is open now too.. just go at store.ovi.com using the browser... and the available apps are all nice...

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
There is a more real solution - read http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33429
You can download X-Terminal shell script ...
Well i did say it was the simplest solution. I think you made a good job of verifying that it's also the most real, though: installing -devel packages is asking for trouble if you're not comfortable with the unix filesystem and command line apt tools. As that is common knowledge, it's acceptable to tell users worried about their rootfs to uninstall said apps and leave it at that.

He's talking about windows and file explorer to peep his disk usage...

and you're suggesting a shell script.

Hopefully one of the two suggestions will get the job done, but it's a disservice to ordinary users to claim that the "real" usage of the device will require shell scripts and "some luck".

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Frankfurt, Germany
Update also works on my repartitioned (solving the rootfs problem) device like a charm! Hopefully the major update will work like this...

is the bluetooth problem addressed?

I didn't see the update listed in App Manager here (US) until doing the following in X-Terminal:

- sudo gainroot
- apt-get clean
- apt-get update

Then the update appeared, which I ran. Rebooted no problem, but performance lagged between screen-clicks/button-pushes. Another reboot cycle (including battery-removal & re-seating it to un-freeze it) and everything cleared up.

Within an hour of the Maemo update, updates appeared in App Manager for Evernote, Qik, & Foreca.

Will keep my eyes peeled for noticeable changes, but from the 'Details' pain in App Manager, the Maemo update touched about ~40 packages....

Happy to field questions where I can help.
================================================

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by jjx View Post
Yikes, that sounds like a regression not an improvement.

If you're wearing headphones somewhere quiet so that other people won't be disturbed by your phone, you don't want it to suddenly start making a noise.

Besides, if you're listening on headphones, why would you want it ring on speakers?
Have only recently started using my N900 as a media player on the journey to/from work and can't believe this bug made it through testing - at least, I assume it's a bug and hope it's not "by design" or WONTFIX as it's "too difficult to fix".

Anyway, I suggest you all vote for bug #7837 which I just opened....

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:

Tags
firmware, firmware update, minor update, n900, ota, pr1.0.1, ssu, update