Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I assume you mean this?

If you're going to use WinSCP.. you don't need rootsh AFAIK.. just install the openssh-server on your N900. It should require you to set a root password.

Then you use WinSCP to remote to your N900 using that root password. This is still risky though, you could delete files. I'm just making sure you know to be careful. If enough people want sound tricks.. I'm sure someone will make an app for it.
im just replasing the camera sound that is located /usr/share/sounds/camera_snd_title_1.wav to other is that risky?

and can u tell me step by step how to do all this? how to do a openssh server? O__o

Last edited by owerlord; 2010-01-12 at 20:47.

Originally Posted by owerlord View Post
im just replasing the camera sound that is located /usr/share/sounds/camera_snd_title_1.wav to other is that risky?
Replacing the file itself not likely. I'm saying if you make a mistake as root it can be risky.

IE: Replace the wrong file, move a different file, etc.

You should be fine if you're careful.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Replacing the file itself not likely. I'm saying if you make a mistake as root it can be risky.

IE: Replace the wrong file, move a different file, etc.

You should be fine if you're careful.
and can u tell me step by step how to do "ALL" this? how to do a openssh server? O__o

Unfortunately I can't.. not in any reliable way. I don't have any way to go through it myself.

The openssh-server package is available in the normal repositories so you should be able to open your application manager and find openssh-server and install it.

During the installation process it should ask you to set a password.. you give it any password you want (preferably a strong one) - that will be the new "root" password. After that's installed open a terminal and run:
Code:
ifconfig -a
And make a note of the IP Address of your N900 (it should be on your internal network/wireless whatever.. the line will say "inet: 192.whatever" for example).

After that is installed you'll go to your windows machine and launch WinSCP and connect to your N900 using the ip address you got above and the username "root" and the password the one you created when installing the package.

After all that.. WinSCP should show you the N900 files.. You'll have to then navigate to that directory: /usr/share/sounds/ and replace that file.

This is just a generalized idea of what you're looking at.

this is actually really really simple, i've done it on my own n900

1. open app manager and install rootsh
2. connect n900 to your computer via usb and copy your new camera sounds over to the n900
3. open terminal on your n900
4. type "root" this will open a new terminal as root
5. type "cd /usr/share/sounds/"
6. OPTIONAL back up any sound files you may want to later restore using "cp <original file name> <back up file name>"
7. Copy the sound files you put on your n900 in step 2 using something like "cp /home/user/MyDocs/<sound_file_location> ./camera_snd_title_1.wav "

That should be all you need to do. As with any advice, you should make sure you completely understand what you're doing before attempting this. Like one of the previous posters said, when logged in as root if you dont know what you are doing you can quickly mess up your device. Good luck to ya.

ALSO if you are changing your camera sound to a silent or very quiet shutter noise you should be aware that in some areas there are laws which state cell phones must have an audible camera sound. Just something to be aware of. Here is another thread where a similar topic is discussed: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=442272

Last edited by lfcobra; 2010-01-12 at 21:34. Reason: more information

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lfcobra For This Useful Post:
And then there's that way.. with rootsh .

hmmmm seems complicated ^^" maybe i need to wait someone to make a app for it? is that easy to do?

Last edited by owerlord; 2010-01-12 at 21:32.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Open the apps manager
Choose 'download' since that's what you want to do.

Choose 'all' (I have no idea which category rootsh is in)

Scroll though till you find 'rootsh' and highlight it.

Follow the instalation wizard from there.

But you know what? If you can't make it through the apps manager UI to d/l a ready made package, I really, really don't think you're ready for root yet.

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kuopio
I don't think one really needs open ssh to change camera sound in a way Ifcobra explained.

Edit: I thought the same. You really should not do things, if you don't know exactly how it works. At least not with 600€ phone. Why do you even need to change the sound? It's pretty useless anyway...

Last edited by Tesno; 2010-01-12 at 21:39.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
There's already been a discussion about it, and a bug entered which has been declared WONTFIX - meaning Nokia aren't plnning to change things. I believe this is because some countries have a law against silent cameras (so you can't take sneaky-pics).

Why don't you head to the applications forum, or maybe the multimedia (they seem to discuss the camera there) and ask someone. Explain that you know it can be done by a complex method, but ask if someone would be willing to ake an app for it instead for people like you and me who don't like getting blood on our hands by messing in root.

Asked nicely, the developers are an incredibly helpful bunch!