Originally Posted by jjx View Post
Not as open as Maemo, and not as programmer-friendly as Maemo either.
that statement is really depending on who you ask.

Look i did buy a N900, but if i really wanted to program in i rather would have bought a Android phone because i am a java developer so the android would be a better fit for me programming wise.

Also i have a friend who does have a G1 and programs for it. And the ease to set it up and debug on it with Eclipse IDE and a few plugins. Thats the great strength...

I am a windows users and a java developer...so N900 is not really a great match, i dont matter to much that java is not an option for me, but setting up a good developing IDE on Windows is for me just a pre.. So i really hope that QT Developer or something will be coming for windows with full support for the N900 out of the box..

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Leeds, UK
Originally Posted by jjx View Post
Anyone who can say "i'll stick someone real good" with a straight face is a chav themselves in my book.
There was no straight face involved, I think id just watched an episode of the Mighty Boosh, and was inspired to talk like a shadowy cockney psychopath.

I stand by what I said though. i'd hate to see such a device 'diluted' by people who generally just see it as a phone with a slide out keypad. What a waste it would be of such potential.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
Yes, that was very interesting, and sums it up very nice. But I think he missed one obvious point. Those that will earn money on smartphones have to deliver both the OS and the hardware. Android is a dead end road for everyone except Google and OEM. Everyone can make a nice phone with Android, but I don't see how this will be cost effective in the long run when none of the solutions can be reused on "milk and butter" phones that makes most of the profit. Going with Android you will enter a fierce battle with one single variable, price.This is not good when the OS requires high end expensive HW, not good at all.
I think you miss Google's strategy. Remember that Google made money when the iPhone was introduced. Millions of iphone users hit Google pages and saw Google ads. Enough that AT&T's network has still not recovered.

Android is not a way for Google to make a profit, Android is a way for Google to ensure that the next generation of smartphones can not only hit Google Search but can also use Google Docs and their other cloud applications. More hits, more ads, more revenue.

As far as smartphone manufacturers, there will be as much competition as there is in the Windows PC market. Sure there's a standard operating system but competition in the hardware market is about far more than just price.

For Nokia, it means that they need to offer an advantage over the iPhone OS or Android (or Web OS or Moblin) and, for the average consumer of $500+ smartphones, that needs to be more than root.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
I think you miss Google's strategy. Remember that Google made money when the iPhone was introduced. Millions of iphone users hit Google pages and saw Google ads. Enough that AT&T's network has still not recovered.

Android is not a way for Google to make a profit, Android is a way for Google to ensure that the next generation of smartphones can not only hit Google Search but can also use Google Docs and their other cloud applications. More hits, more ads, more revenue.

As far as smartphone manufacturers, there will be as much competition as there is in the Windows PC market. Sure there's a standard operating system but competition in the hardware market is about far more than just price.

For Nokia, it means that they need to offer an advantage over the iPhone OS or Android (or Web OS or Moblin) and, for the average consumer of $500+ smartphones, that needs to be more than root.
Right, which is why the Ovi ecosystem was (is still?) so critical to Nokia's future success. They moved away from focus on devices to focus on services-- and then failed to effectively execute as we all know. But the thinking was sound: leverage that 40% global phone share into a means of getting Nokia content in front of eyeballs. Nokia's logistics expertise *should* have trumped Google's advantages... but failed due to Ovi maturity lag.

Speaking of logistics-- Google is now learning the hard way about customer service.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-01-16 at 03:18.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Right, which is why the Ovi ecosystem was (is still?) so critical to Nokia's future success.
Absolutely. I used to work for a land line carrier (remember those? ) and I was in a series of meetings with our brass and Vint Cerf who had come in as a consultant. He urged us to plan for a time when phone calls would be free and we would make money off of value added services. I think that's a lot closer than many people think.

I'll offer this thought experiment: if the iPhone offered an app which allowed you to watch every football match in the World Cup and you could not hack the DRM to get it to run on the N900, would you buy an iPhone?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
true ... the one that will be able to sell more services through their devices will make more money. here nokia is behind. ovi is making progresses, but ... how many nokia fans use ovi, and not gmail for eg, or ovi photo , or chat ... not many ... why is so difficult to populate ovi store with apps? i thought developing for symbian is "easiest" (i'm not a developer )

i would move to ovi, if i could get something close to the google experience

The Following User Says Thank You to jean2323 For This Useful Post:
You all guys miss the point! Nokia DO need to change stuff! Take for example N-gage at first it was a damn good platform! but the lack of change and the same crappy looking games over and over again made it so bad that eventually even the hardcore Ngage fans said to nokia "We are getting fed up with this ****!" including me!

I think the n900 is by far the nicest phone out there. the only problem? Nokia built it! Why is that a problem ? Like Hex900 stated. they are not getting the point of what people want!

They need to get rid of the grey staff in the top and hire some fresh new guys that know what people want nowadays.

I personally read allot of posts here most of them are chinese to me. I dont have any clue of the codes x-terminal and what so ever. you know what? 99,99% of all nokia's customers dont.

Yeah yeah with firmware updates you will fix allot of stuff and add new things. well thats great but 75% off all the people say "im not gonna update! i dont know how and the phone works for me". The worst thing is that 50% of all the firmware updates fail! i needed to help allot of people i know to reflash their device because the nokia updater froze up and nothing happened anymore.

Offcourse you can have allot of options for people like you guys with an x-terminal and devel repos. But for godsake! atleast fix the ovi store before selling the n900 and at launch atleast 1000 apps to start with adding up 10 to 100 every day/week. spend some money on it nokia! greedy bastards.

This phone is doomed to fail same as to some phones, ovi store and ngage (2 times allready). If there isn't enough good content and good marketing!

I think its great that i can download apps from the devel repo wich i can use to brick my phone! or trash the rootfs so that i cant update anymore. but 99% of the people dont! and nokia cant see the whole picture anymore! and this is the beginning of the end of nokia if they dont listen to threads like these!

One last thing. everyone tested the pcsuite and ovi suite with n900. its not even full compatible yet! Thats really insane!

Last edited by sygys; 2010-01-15 at 12:10.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sygys For This Useful Post:
It's not that they ''killed'' NGage. They just moved it to Ovi store so they can have everything in one.

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Nokia has already lost it. Reason 1: lost focus. It will be around for a long time because it's well diversified but it will be no trendsetter in any segment it operates in. It will be the forever catch-up company.

Originally Posted by sygys View Post

One last thing. everyone tested the pcsuite and ovi suite with n900. its not even full compatible yet! Thats really insane!
The Nokia N900 is a great device. Overall I feel that it is more flexible for receiving information.

The reason I stayed with Nokia was PC Suite to synchronose with MS (contacts and calendars)

Part of my work access involves synchronising PC suite with various computers. My home PC synchronises N900 with MS seemlessly by Bluetooth but some of the work Desktops use Windows 2000 and have no bluetooth so you have to connect with a cable. These PCs will not recognise the cable connection to the N900.

The iphones in the office cannot use PC Suite and Microsoft so the Nokia has a chance to demonstrate an advantage if they can make it cable compatible.