Active Topics

and I just cant. everytime i get this idea that i can use it to do something, it finds a way to fail.

software crashes, stupid interface, no task bar, its SLOW, cant do youtube, no error correcting typing (im faster on T9 by a long shot), dissapearing bluetooth icon at the top, constant freezing. you know how this thing could be useful? have a charger port on it so it can charge my Nokia 6131 phone that is actually useful.

sorry, just venting. such a useless device. at least on windows i can crtl+alt+del when it decides to have a stupid moment.

Last edited by Garage Battle; 2007-05-07 at 07:07.

did you upgrade to the latest firmware? doing so could some a number of issues you're facing.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by Garage Battle View Post
and I just cant. everytime i get this idea that i can use it to do something, it finds a way to fail.

software crashes, stupid interface, no task bar, its SLOW, cant do youtube, no error correcting typing (im faster on T9 by a long shot), dissapearing bluetooth icon at the top, constant freezing. you know how this thing could be useful? have a charger port on it so it can charge my Nokia 6131 phone that is actually useful.

sorry, just venting. such a useless device. at least on windows i can crtl+alt+del when it decides to have a stupid moment.
Sell the stupid thing and get something even stupider "Windows Mobile" :P
And if you do ill buy it

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Garage Battle View Post

I gave up trying and am in the process of offering mine for sale on this forum. Got a Nokia N95 and could not be happier. Well, a bit if the GPS module was better, but other than that no complaints.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I love blanket condemnations. I guess all the people that the device works for are lying.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If I were going to buy one (I'm happy with the N800 I have!) I certainly wouldn't buy one from someone who chimes in with me too! after someone says his N800 is always freezing and crashing.

software crashes: out of memory, strange software installs, old firmware?
stupid interface: in some ways yes, if you muck around there is a way to run kde or rox...but then, some would consider that a stupid interface for a 4" screen.
no task bar: it is on the left below the menu icon, in addition to that there is a double arrow that brings up a task list, below the taskbar.
no "error correcting typing": lern 2 spele (train your autocomplete with properly spelled words..)
disappearing bluetooth icon at top: not having this problem, even in itos2007/770 (is anyone else?).
ctrl-alt-del: install the load applet, it has a task list that you can use to kill rampant processes.

as far as preferring a 6131 over a 770/800...thats just silly. two different animals for two different purposes.

just remember, these things have more in common with a linksys wrt54gs than a cell phone..

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by mattsqz View Post
disappearing bluetooth icon at top: not having this problem, even in itos2007/770 (is anyone else?).
In fairness, the disappearing BT icon on the N800 is a well-known and documented bu^H^H feature. While on the 770, if the user disables BT, the icon merely greys out, on the N800 it vanishes completely, requiring a trip to the Control Panel every time one wants to re-activate it. It's blooming annoying, not to mention one of the most stupid "design" decisions I've ever encountered. Especially as all the Nokia geniuses had to do was copy the community BT plugin that works as it should.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
But wasn't the Bluetooth icon disappearing trick fixed (at least partially) in 3.2007.10-7, hence the question from luketoh in comment #2? It does sound like the OP is running old firmware.

I agree the BT icon behaviour is not ideal, but improved slightly with the latest firmware.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes, the bluetooth icon disappearing was fixed in the latest firmware. It hasn't disappeared once since, even across reboots/shutdowns.