Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by mrdally204 View Post
For people having trouble with gizmo call back, are you connected via wifi or 3g? If wifi, is there another gizmo5 account or even VOIP account connected to this IP. Is your router fairly old? I was at my brothers house and was having all kinds of issues. He had an old router and a gizmo account on an ATA. He updated his router and we play along just fine now.

Epage what problems are you having with gizmo5? I've had mine registered with the sipphone setting and a simple SIP log in and both work great. See if setting up a stun server helps at all. Also if you still know your gizmo account, you can try changing the password. Or if all else fails, use sipsorcery.com to register your gizmo account and log into their sip settings and should function the same.
I used to have Gizmo working and then it stopped, maybe a year ago. I've tried the official client, Ekiga, and RTComm. Around the time it stopped working I upgraded my computer, upgraded my router, and changed settings on my DSL modem, so how knows . The odd part though is I have a couple other SIP accounts that work without issue. I'll look into sipsorcery to see what its like

Edit: Hmm, silverlight, nm

Last edited by epage; 2010-01-12 at 13:31.

Is there anything you can recommend as far as learning the ins and outs of telepathy? I've been reading through telepathy-butterfly code, as well as your telepathy-onering code, and I'm still wondering why at quite a lot of it.

Originally Posted by intervigil View Post
Is there anything you can recommend as far as learning the ins and outs of telepathy? I've been reading through telepathy-butterfly code, as well as your telepathy-onering code, and I'm still wondering why at quite a lot of it.
I've found the spec both enlightening and confusing.
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/

A couple rules to keep in mind.
  • python-telepathy implements bindings for me but also mixins that I save me from doing a lot of repetitive work.
  • A concrete type implementing interfaces serves three functions: (1) "inheritance" (as in there are common operations performed on a channel no matter if its for chat, calls, etc, (2) optional behavior like reporting call state on a call, and (3) backwards compatibility, they found some parts of Connection are slow so added Requests to speed things up.
  • Connections, Channels, etc are implement forms of double initialization, which in some circles is poor design but here avoids race conditions because you can't register to listen for an event till the target is created but by the time you do register, it might have fired the event you are looking for.

Maybe an analogy will explain the order of things. You've got a web browser which allows you to have a login session with Gmail. Within that session you can have multiple tabs open. You can browse your email, respond to email, look at contacts, etc.

The Connection Manager is the browser. Connections are the login sessions. Channels are the tabs.

The One Ring connections have features like providing aliases for contacts, reducing server polling by changing your presence status, and creating channels.

Handles are numbers that represent contacts, contact groups, or channels.

This help much?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Hey Epage,
I requested a while ago to have finger scrolling available in the app. If I recall correctly you got it established in the 900 but not the 8x0. I was wondering if this may be useful to bring this feature to us 8x0 users?

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=25640

Thanks, yeah it is pretty useful advice. I'm still going through the spec... slowly, when I get time off from work.

Originally Posted by mrdally204 View Post
Hey Epage,
I requested a while ago to have finger scrolling available in the app. If I recall correctly you got it established in the 900 but not the 8x0. I was wondering if this may be useful to bring this feature to us 8x0 users?

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=25640
Thanks for providing a resource that gives easy finger scrolling. Otherwise I wouldn't have felt it was worth the benefit/time tradeoff. I'm not sure when I'll get to this or if I'll find it is worthwhile in the end, but now I've got this noted.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
Hi epage,

I am really interested in the TheOneRing. I keep installing, hope that it will work, uninstall, then install again couple of days later.
Do you have a time frame in mind when you think this will be in beta status so we'll be able to use it ?

Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
Hi epage,

I am really interested in the TheOneRing. I keep installing, hope that it will work, uninstall, then install again couple of days later.
Do you have a time frame in mind when you think this will be in beta status so we'll be able to use it ?
From an email I sent out this morning to another Dialcentral user anxiously awaiting The One RIng

I am glad you currently enjoy Dialcentral. I plan to offer the same
level of support for the The One Ring including receiving of user
input and ease of debugging once I get things into a workable shape on
the Maemo platform.

As you noted, right now it is pre-alpha software. As such I am not
sure how worthwhile it is to offer support when I expect it to be
broken and keep breaking. I am honestly surprised to hear people
install software from extras-devel without any kind of endorsement of
the author or prior history with that application and then to be
surprised when it is broken. Due to the number of inquiries into
this, I plan to add to the package description a warning about it
eating peoples kittens. Hopefully that helps or else it shows very
few people like kittens. Sad.
Beyond that, currently the only time frame I have is "when its done". I was not able to make my goal of End of 2009 which due to confusion on the telepathy spec, surprising changes in the python-telepathy package, and differences between Empathy and RTComm. I've been able to get every feature to work on Empathy on an Ubuntu 9.04 machine (yeah I need to upgrade but it has similar packaging as Maemo 4.1 which i want to also support). In parallel to getting basic features working on Maemo I am working to add the polish I would expect to deliver in Beta software. I still consider it Pre-Alpha though due to major implementation holes on Maemo 5.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
For those interested in The One Ring, please see the following thread
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=488632

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Does anybody have problems with the Contacts? They are there, but the "Title" or "Name" entry is blank? If you click on the Line, you see the number, but nothing else, so you don't know who the contact entry is for.

Anybody else have that?