Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Thinking about the various ways the community communicates, I was wondering whether we should have an official 'maemo.org twitter account'. It would be something for people to follow for news of what's going on here.

I would guess if an account were set up you'd give a handful of trusted people the account password to keep tweeting.

I realise many (if not most) people here consider twitter to be a bit of a fad, and not a Serious medium for communication. But I have encountered a number of people whose primary source of maemo information is twitter, and we're missing them. For example tonight there have been many tweets from people wondering where the respositories are - and those of us in twitter have been pointing them here. And official account might be preferable for doing that.

What do others think?

[Note: will copy this to the mailing list]

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
... sounds sensible to me ... who are "maemoexperts" then? ... I hadn't really thought about it, but if I did I'd have thought they were in some way connected to maemo.org ...

... and who on earth thinks twitter is a fad? ... presumably they don't use it themselves, as it's a really useful and fun way of staying in contact with the world ...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by EmmaGx View Post
who are "maemoexperts" then? ...I'd have thought they were in some way connected to maemo.org...
Heh. No.

---

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Heh. No.

---
... then there really should be some kind of official twitter presence ...

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bellshill, UK
all the good people live in twitter

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I like this idea!

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Thinking about the various ways the community communicates, I was wondering whether we should have an official 'maemo.org twitter account'. It would be something for people to follow for news of what's going on here.
While not Twitter, there are some useful Qaiku channels:

#maemo (developer-oriented stuff and announcements).

#N900 (user stuff, mostly in Finnish)

#maemork (maemo.org sprint reporting, you can follow what is happening in the projects)

One way would be to use TwitterFeed to pipe some of those onwards to appropriate Twitter accounts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
It might be better for the community to not so much have a dedicated channel on twitter, but self-organize around the idea of tags and hastags in respective areas.

The official channels for Maemo I thought were already established in these areas, and there's the press/online-press side of Nokia Conversations. Beyond that, and the number of already existing Maemo communities which are on Twitter with their own identities, there's probably not another need for one.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
One way would be to use TwitterFeed to pipe some of those onwards to appropriate Twitter accounts.
So what stops us?