Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Okay, first post is updated with what I consider to be the "thank God it's finally over" release.

Any posts after that which complains of junk not working can be safely ignored since I have yet experienced a single problem over the past several days with this new solution.

I hope everyone here who still has a N800 makes good use of this like I have.

And I truly mean that for both of you. *lol*

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Addison,

As half the multitude, I'd like to give you my thanks and tell you I've been impressed with your vigor and dedication. I haven't been any help as I don't use any of the programs for which you use Xkbd.

But when I get home to Seattle in January, I'm going to try installing a Macintosh emulator and some old System 7 applications, and I'll be giving Xkbd a workout then. Thanks for making that feasible.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Addison, this rocks,....totally unbelievable that this finally works! You're my hero and I worship you and your greatness!! Seriously, this is truly amazing and I thank you for your patience on figuring this out!

The Following User Says Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the compliments Push.

I'm very happy with how it turned out as well.

If you have slide rotate installed, that Garnet keyboard is definitely kicking it.

I can type in new entries and search through my various databases in record time now. Also, the invisible arrow keys are a very nice addition as well.

A quick mention, double tapping the shift key makes it turn into Caps Lock.

Sliding the stylus up on a key produces a capital letter as well.

If you can't shake off the keys going all caps, hold the shift key for about one second and then release. That gives about a 50/50 chance of correcting this issue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Ehi Addison, great work!
I'm sorry I haven't updated you for a while, I had a bad Christmas present when my 2 year young battery decided to die on me, and it's been just 4 days since my replacement arrived... d'oh!
I fiddled with your files (btw /media/mmc2 is internal card for me, /media/mmc1 is the external SD slot on N800) and noticed that you are using an older libxpm4, but the libxpm4_3.5.6-2osso1_armel.deb works perfectly too: is there a particular reason you chose the older one?
I tried xkbd 0.8.16 too, works fine, but on GVM the keyboard doesn't take up the full width of the screen, there's some space left blank on the left side that corresponds exactly to the size of the maemo menu while screen is rotated...
Now I just have to check your keyboards in dosbox...
Thanks again dude

Heya Nick!

I just got a few batteries myself since I have no intention of letting go of my N800 anytime soon.

The reason for the older version of libxpm4 is because I didn't know any better.

Installing xkbd 0.8.16 is a mistake on your part.

It doesn't feature Minimize., Maximize or Exit functions. It also doesn't support the geometry command either hence the weirdness with the Garnet keyboard.

Just open up the Xkbd install notes file, select all, copy then paste it in Xterm and you'll be good.

If you need any help with Dosbox, I'm pretty good with getting great performance and features with that as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Heya Nick!

I just got a few batteries myself since I have no intention of letting go of my N800 anytime soon.

The reason for the older version of libxpm4 is because I didn't know any better.

Installing xkbd 0.8.16 is a mistake on your part.

It doesn't feature Minimize., Maximize or Exit functions. It also doesn't support the geometry command either hence the weirdness with the Garnet keyboard.

Just open up the Xkbd install notes file, select all, copy then paste it in Xterm and you'll be good.

If you need any help with Dosbox, I'm pretty good with getting great performance and features with that as well.
I have the same feelings toward my tablet
xkbd 0.8.16 was just an experiment, given the fact that all your procedure takes less than two minutes it would have been a crime not to try it
I'm using latest libxpm4, so far so good, if you want to try it by yourself you can find a link a couple of posts after your first one in this thread
Rubybox and Dosbox work both when using the mapper72 file, finally no dead Dpad or missing keypresses
Thanks again

The Following User Says Thank You to JustNick For This Useful Post:
Hey Nick.

One thing you'll need to do after downloading the xkbd layout files from Rubybox is to replace them with the newer ones otherwise all the letters will be capital.

They go in:
/home/user/.rubybox/.xkbd_layouts/

No need to replace all of them, just the ones you'll be using.

For me, I only copied over Rightfull.xkbd to that directory.

I think I've got another idea about the weirdnes that xkbd produces.

It will probably take a week to test it out but I'll post my results either way.