Active Topics

On my 32" lcd, movies are VHS quality and doesn't fill the screen (difference aspect ratio). Borderline acceptable if you don't have any other way to watch movies but it reminds me of the mid 90's technology.

It certainly is NOT crystal clear in real-life..

Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
On my 32" lcd, movies are VHS quality and doesn't fill the screen (difference aspect ratio). Borderline acceptable if you don't have any other way to watch movies but it reminds me of the mid 90's technology.

It certainly is NOT crystal clear in real-life..
SDTV feeds are not "crystal clear" on an HDTV...one shouldn't expect the 900 to be any different. Though some HDTVs are better with displaying SD than others.

However on an SDTV:

The "pixels" on the TV are not visible at normal viewing distance, nor at the distances of the camera when picture taken, by the naked eye. The 900's "desktop" on the SDTV is as clear/focused as the HDTV feed I watch normally.

Last edited by colnago; 2010-01-19 at 17:12.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ By the swamp
Yeh, the TV out is certainly not HD quality, but that's a limitation of the tech used, not really a flaw in the device. Composite video was made for a quite different time, but as it's simple and requires very few I/Os, it's seen widespread use in generic TV out implementations. The actual observed quality varies ridiculously much from one TV to another... My friend's a bit aged 32" Sony LCD shows the video as almost acceptable though a bit jittery, my parents' quite new 46" Philips LCD shows the picture in excellent clarity and can even spread it correctly over the entire panel and my sister's old 20" Thomson CRT TV only showed me a blurry mess regardless of the settings in either device - colors were quite correct, though, but never in the right place. My only real complaint is slightly too low level on the sound output to loads presented by the audio in ports in most TVs - I have to crank up the volume setting on the TV very much and the next user get a nice shocker from insanely high volume setting if I forget to turn it back down after showing something from my N900.

I don't know how far TV technology rollout has advanced in Europe, but in USA because of the recent switch to digital TV the majority of folks no longer use SDTV as their main TV.

The last time I saw a TV like the one you have was about 5 years ago

I don't know how far TV technology rollout has advanced in Europe, but in USA because of the recent switch to digital TV the majority of folks no longer use SDTV as their main TV.

The last time I saw a TV like the one you have was about 5 years ago
FWIW, there are a lot of hotels that still have SDTVs. Something to think about when on the road...especially when there is some sort of Sling/HAVA support, and you want to catch something live, or on your DVR.

Does the 1080p Panny plasma with service menu calibration work better? It should given that plasma generally has better SD performance than LCD :

Last edited by colnago; 2010-01-19 at 18:12.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Is there any way I can connect the sound to a mono device? I have borrowed a projecter which has a video socket (yellow) which works just fine. But it only has one audio input, while the n900 cable has a stereo (two jacks) output.

If I were to connect just one, what sort of sound might get? And which one???

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Is there any way I can connect the sound to a mono device? I have borrowed a projecter which has a video socket (yellow) which works just fine. But it only has one audio input, while the n900 cable has a stereo (two jacks) output.

It depends on the "receiving" unit, especially since the 900 isn't very flexible. Usually, if enabled, the receiving device can manage a "stereo output", based on a single channel input, usually via the "Left channel".

That or just get an RCA splitter with a single male, and (2) female.

Last edited by colnago; 2010-01-19 at 18:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post

There are small and cheap adapters of 2 pins (stereo) to one (mono), check the local Radio Shack or a store like that.

If my memory serves me well, if you pick the white jack, you get the "left" sound and the red one is the "right" sound. In some cases it doesn't matter (depends on how well it is recorded and how differentiated the sound is), but is you listen music, you will probably miss some part of it. Give it a try.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Who said is going to watch VHS movie? We are watching international TV via WorldTV99 on N900 with TVout. And this is the ONLY way I know that I can watch from Arabic to Serbic (anyone knows any language after S ) . Better than your DirectTV

And while travelling, as colnago posted above, tapped into my HAVA and TVout to hotel TV to watch...........you got it right, Duke basketball game! Yike.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-01-19 at 18:31.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Who said is going to watch VHS movie? We are watching international TV via WorldTV99 on N900 with TVout. And this is the ONLY way I know that I can watch from Arabic to Serbic (anyone knows any language after S ) . Better than your DirectTV

And while travelling, as colnago posted above, tapped into my HAVA and TVout to hotel TV to watch...........you got it right, Duke basketball game! Yike.

bun
I think the VHS reference was in regards to "picture quality".

The Following User Says Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post: