Posts: 52 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Montreal, Canada
Ovi maps is so complicated... the gps never locks and it always ask for a network connection even if it's disabled...

Any advices are welcomed =)

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
i dunno what to say other than

sort ovi maps out , or someone get google maps going

The Following User Says Thank You to mysticrokks For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
It's not really that complicated to use. I've never had much problems with the gps or a-gps in genreal, it usually locks and I have checked to see it switch between a coarse and fine lock.

Where I will agree with you is the network connection pop up. If I don't want to use a-gps, then if I say no to a network connection that should be final. I shouldn't need prompting again. If I want to connect I can do so later if I wish.

But this is only version 1.0 maemo build of ovi maps. I'm guessing that there will be future updates and we do have some ability to steer the update direction. Log a bug report or even add some comments to the brainstorming, hopefully it will get noticed.

I am once more relief that I am not the only one frustrated about ovi maps.... I wish there was tomtom or garmin capabilities...

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
[QUOTE=phyneex;483202]I am once more relief that I am not the only one frustrated about ovi maps.... I wish there was tomtom or garmin capabilities...[/QUOTE

you me and 90% of owners

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
there are already a few posts where users complain about the gps capabilities of the n900 and the ovi maps.

and it is mentioned to wait for sygic to come.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I don't get it. What was wrong with Wayfinder anyway? If they simply had continued developing Wayfinder and making improvements and updating the maps, I think it would have benefited everyone in the long run and possibly would have been a good reason to continue supporting paying subscribers already using the N8x0 platform version too.

Originally Posted by b666m View Post
there are already a few posts where users complain about the gps capabilities of the n900 and the ovi maps.

and it is mentioned to wait for sygic to come.
You are right, it seems that we all have to wait for Sygic... and let's cross our fingers for a free version =P

AND did you notice that north america is separated into 2 files ( which mean you have to pay twice ) ! Us east and Us west! I don't even see Canada in there!

Last edited by phyneex; 2010-01-20 at 02:24.

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by phyneex View Post
You are right, it seems that we all have to wait for Sygic... and let's cross our fingers for a free version =P
a free version?
would be to good to be true ^^
i read that it costs about 79,99$ a year.
(someone mentioned that's about 6,66$ per month - evil, huh?! :P)

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by phyneex View Post
Ovi maps is so complicated... the gps never locks and it always ask for a network connection even if it's disabled...

Any advices are welcomed =)
Just for you, today, hope you find them useful and post about your comment and experience.

Ovi maps use, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38872, I am using Ovi 1.01 after PR1.1 upgrade.
gps locks without internet, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38405, thread #28
field experience, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38405

enjoy,

bun