Active Topics

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sweden
Hey, I have not been able to use my N900 at all due to the N900 SIM issue before last week. so when I finally got it to work....and the deeply integrated Skype function and my Nokia BH-503 HS set-up I made my first call on N900 FINALLY !

I have to say that I was deeply disappointed, the person I talked to said it sounds like you have a pillow over your mouth...Ehhh I said.... I cannot say that I hear you crystal clear either....What a HUGE disappointment , after all these months I have a brand new SUPER device that is worse than my old N95 or ANY modern smarphone....What have Nokia been doing here.

today I made a search here and find this thread, and sad to see that BT sound quality and connectivity is a HUGE unsolved issue by Nokia.
I will return my phone to Nokia as this is unacceptable for a modern phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to McChicken For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by McChicken View Post
Hey, I have not been able to use my N900 at all due to the N900 SIM issue before last week. so when I finally got it to work....and the deeply integrated Skype function and my Nokia BH-503 HS set-up I made my first call on N900 FINALLY !

I have to say that I was deeply disappointed, the person I talked to said it sounds like you have a pillow over your mouth...Ehhh I said.... I cannot say that I hear you crystal clear either....What a HUGE disappointment , after all these months I have a brand new SUPER device that is worse than my old N95 or ANY modern smarphone....What have Nokia been doing here.

today I made a search here and find this thread, and sad to see that BT sound quality and connectivity is a HUGE unsolved issue by Nokia.
Please see the bugs in my sig and make you you vote AND'raise hell in the comments section! The strange thing is why aren't more people up in arms about this? We really don't have an answer about this problem and where it's going. It was not addressed in this FW upgrade. If anything it may have got worse.

The str

Originally Posted by McChicken View Post
You could have searched in a lot of places and found this. The fact it is very much in Nokia's face is probably most disturbing though.

Unacceptable for a what we would consider an antiquated phone for that matter.

After the huge last update that didn't do much of anything noticeable other than make BT worse (overall - I can't even have it connected long enough to make a call now), gave us some icons in app manager, and reduce battery life considerable (I was wondering about people commenting on this since I didn't notice a huge decrease, but for some strange reason, over the last two days I've noticed a dramatic decrease. I can have a nearly full charge, be on a call for an hour and have low battery warnings), I decided I'm not going to stress about all the WONTFIXes and push to harschmattan, just give me BT. The rest is starting to come to a simmer anyway - another update like this and it'll probably boil over because all the "professional" reviews, and personal reviews that have been giving them the benefit of the doubt (wrongly in many cases since I've seen WONTFIX on some of the complaints reviewers have had), that leniency will come to a screeching halt after the phone is halfway through it's 12-month selling cycle.

Granted, I do like the portrait browser, one-handed use ability - nice job with formatting (but, fell short in some other aspects that I can live with), decreased charge time to "full" (good I guess since the battery life has gone bad), but man I would have expected more. Seems they fixed a lot of the simpler, more irritating things and left the glaring omissions out.

Oh, I haven't researched this, but my desktop somehow gets stuck in an unusable portrait mode randomly. A couple times/day, but I figure there is code there that is base of portrait mode later. No biggie, I just have to restart.

Just occurred to me, like a lot of other people, I've dropped my standard just to have the power of maemo and say "I can live with it" far too much on the N900. I see this statement or general acceptance of what is there a lot.

Like I've said, if they don't straighten out a lot in Fremantle (or make Herschmattan available to the N900 - last time I looked a month ago the Chief something or another said they weren't sure if it'd be compatible), after years of being a true Nokia loyalist and helping sell some of their phones / tablets (primarily N-series), I'll probably back to Android. As it sits, the trade-off is more than worth it and if it stays that way, it'll be the same.

I get a shocked "what's that?!!!" question on the Nexus One every second and the N900 people ask me about my camera :-) The Nexus One isn't great - yet. Android needs to be able to take advantage of the 512/512 RAM/ROM and the snapdragon, but I see 2010 the year of 512/512 and 1GHz processors. Wait, isn't the N900 technically a 2010 phone? :-/

I was on a Palm 680 so I had to make a jump in a big way!

I have some niggling deficits in the Contacts and Calendar that I want fixed, want some phone functionality, and need the BT to be fixed. I'd be happy then.

I'm loving having a real computer in my pocket. But the next one, Maemo 6, I won't have a smuch pressure and will be able to wait and watch a little.

I would really like to know if they are going to resolve this issue though.

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Please see the bugs in my sig and make you you vote AND'raise hell in the comments section! The strange thing is why aren't more people up in arms about this? We really don't have an answer about this problem and where it's going. It was not addressed in this FW upgrade. If anything it may have got worse.

The str
Whoa there! You make a comment in bugs that is not useful to Nokia/Maemo (but prob is if they actually read it in context), you'll get a lecture (making a useless comment filling up space while he's, uh, filling up space). Then, if you say to be more respectful, some random Nokia employee will grab an account, defend his partner (more useless space) and end with a disclaimer that his opinions don't represent Nokia, blah blah. Never saw that dude they ganged up on again. I bet I know what happened to his phone (assuming he didn't toss it out of his moving car).

I don't think Maemo/Nokia were nor are ready for the people who this phone may attract beyond those who spend all day working bugzilla. Lecturing your paying customers is major FAIL.

Why not more uproar? Choice. It's that easy. No BT. No visible urgency around it (or other major bugs). Getting lectured by Nokia/Maemo if you make the wrong entry in bugzilla and just a little review of talk/bugs it becomes obvious much of what you would think they are working to address are sitting there as WONTFIX or pushed to Maemo 6. The majority of people who spend this much for a phone (call it a mobile computer if they want, but a decent laptop or netbook thingie is cheaper) want to "just use it" - everyone expects a missing option or two that they were used to on their previous phones. They even expect some 'glitches' aka bugs. But, the aggregate of missing features, lack of setting granularity, lack of apps, and many, many major and fairly major bugs is greater than what most will deal with. The mapping application alone is huge - the N900's is major fail. My wife won't live w/out Google Maps.

So, many just return it and don't have to worry about it.

Who knows - just speculating.

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
I would really like to know if they are going to resolve this issue though.
Oh, someone from Nokia said in the A2DP stuttering bug that they probably won't be able to ever "fully" fix it. That bug has since gone dead silent.

I suspect they may be facing reality of hardware limitations and design problem.

If this is the case, I'm more interested to see how Nokia handles that. Full recall and replacement with redesigned N900? Recall and fix (that I don't know if possible)? Significant credit or free N9x0?

Who knows, but I'm watching very closely since they continue to sell the N900. If a hardware issue and they know about it yet keep shipping, that walks an entirely different path. Especially, if they do nothing about it other than removing BT altogether and apologizing. Doesn't seem an option, but what I've seen done over the last several months, it certainly isn't out of the question.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Bluetooth audio (Yes A2DP stereo audio) used to stutter a bit for me on my Nokia BH-214 headset, this has now stopped and playback is completely smooth after upgrading to the latest firmware released last week! Very happy about that!

Originally Posted by hex900 View Post
Whoa there! You make a comment in bugs that is not useful to Nokia/Maemo (but prob is if they actually read it in context), you'll get a lecture (making a useless comment filling up space while he's, uh, filling up space). Then, if you say to be more respectful, some random Nokia employee will grab an account, defend his partner (more useless space) and end with a disclaimer that his opinions don't represent Nokia, blah blah. Never saw that dude they ganged up on again. I bet I know what happened to his phone (assuming he didn't toss it out of his moving car).

My point there is we have righteous indignation on our side. This is a communications device. It has a serious communication flaw that is pretty basic to it's function. I stand by my post, get in there and vote for the bug and complain, ie raise some hell about it.

If there's a bug in the calendar doing repeat events , that's one thing. This thing sux with a lot of BT earpieces. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but there's way too much etiquette about this.

COMPLAIN I say! This is ridiculous that I can try $300-400 worth of BT devices and they are unusable.

I say Torches and Pitchforks are in order...

Originally Posted by jer006 View Post
Bluetooth audio (Yes A2DP stereo audio) used to stutter a bit for me on my Nokia BH-214 headset, this has now stopped and playback is completely smooth after upgrading to the latest firmware released last week! Very happy about that!
Happy for you, but you might be in the wrong thread!

I believe you posted already in my other thread trying to find BT headsets that work.

As stated in that thread, I'm looking for an Excellent MONO earpiece and all I got for the most part was stereo headsets.

i have a bh-202 and it does not show up on bluetooth. latest firmware etc and minimal apps installed. damit. has this been resolved? is there any nokia headset known to work?