Active Topics

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
He took refuge in an elevator shaft, where he followed instructions from an iPhone first-aid app to fashion a bandage and tourniquet for his leg and to stop the bleeding from his head wound, according to an MSNBC story.

The app even warned Woolley not to fall asleep if he felt he was going into shock, so he set his cellphone’s alarm clock to go off every 20 minutes. Sixty-five hours later, a French rescue team saved him.
Read More: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...rvivor-iphone/

Not a fan of iphones, but maybe we need some first aid apps for the n900.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

LOL...

Wow I can see the rush to the shelves now... dayum.

definitely need a first aid app... and then someone to go get themselves stuck in a life-threatening situation...

Think of the press! Do it for the team!
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Brighton, UK
Sixty-five hours later
I think that probably rules out the N900 then....

his battery lasted 65 hours on an iphone , hmm

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
get it all on the net- so yes the internet could save anyones life- by looking up a symton and catching it early or using it in an emergency andf what to do.

but , i think its more likely to kill someone than save em- i have almost died trying to txt and drive- jeas it needs to be easier to txt

or even better talk txt- cant we talk to our phone and it type out the txt and send it

Originally Posted by PhilE View Post
I think that probably rules out the N900 then....
Well, the alarm is still functioning when the device is 'off'. I'm not sure how long the battery would last in that state but a few days wouldn't be too surprising.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Pittsburgh
Anybody who has ever had a concussion knows that you don't fall asleep after getting your head rocked. Unfortunately, it's all you can think about! It's a good thing he set his alarm to do that, but I'm sure the phone didn't last 65 hours doing an alarm every 20 minutes. After 8 hours or so he would have been fine to take a nap.

65 hours tho? I go stir-crazy when the plane isn't moving after just an hour. 65? I'd come out of there a raving lunatic!

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
bandage and tourniquet for his leg and to stop the bleeding from his head wound
I'm assuming not in that order?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

I wouldn't want the liability of somebody "bleeding out" because they need an app to tell them to bandage a gushing wound, let alone have what it takes to be an instant Doogie Howser.

Quick somebody make up a story about how a man was in Haiti and needed first aid and had to use his N900 to load a first aid site that used flash lol.

Im sorry but the story to me seems super lame and just another piece of the apple marketing pie. Its like your into apple your assimilated into them like the borg and sear by them no matter what the situation.

The N900 could browse first aid websites. You could download a first aid book into the ebook reader, and tons of other things.

I had to take a lot of first aid training in the Marines, and I dont think that just reading something out of a book is going to help you much if you have no clue what your doing. You ether know what to do and have the supplies or you dont.

If you have a super serious wound and you cant stop the bleeding it kinda is commons sense to tie it off, and if you have a head wound again common sense to know go to sleep for a while. I dont need an iphone to survive and nor should anybody else.

Though it would be nice to rock out to some tunes to keep my mind away from things.

Last edited by ViciousXUSMC; 2010-01-20 at 23:20.