I have the latest Garnet VM installed. Very interesting. I also have eReader 3.0.0 installed on it, which works just as I remembered. One problem: is there a correct way to exit Garnet VM other than just killing the task? I can read my DRM'd eReader books as long as the current Garnet session is open, but after I close it and reopen it makes me re-authorize my books again, major pain. This could definitely be a problem with Garnet VM on the N900, which, after all, isn't actually supported. On the other hand, it seems to me that killing the task is a bad way to exit

And please, no discussion about the evil of DRM (betcha at least one person won't be able to resist).

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
On my N800, typing an Escape key press using Xkbd from the palm launcher will close Garnet and update the store file.

If you just kill the program, it wouldn't have a chance to make the update of the registry codes you entered within that virtual store.

Maybe this would work the same on a N900 by using an Escape key.

Unfortunately there is no esc key, Addison. But thanks for the post. BTW, I'm from the Flint area (Metamora) myself!

Last edited by Batmensch; 2010-01-20 at 02:55. Reason: more info

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
On a daughter app/window, I close with Ctrl+back arrow (the last key on the right, upper most row).
On the parent/main window, I close with GarnetVM menu>Close.

Would either of this help to save your bookmark?

I spent my useful youth at Detroit.......years ago.

bun

Originally Posted by Batmensch View Post
I have the latest Garnet VM installed. Very interesting. I also have eReader 3.0.0 installed on it, which works just as I remembered. One problem: is there a correct way to exit Garnet VM other than just killing the task? I can read my DRM'd eReader books as long as the current Garnet session is open, but after I close it and reopen it makes me re-authorize my books again, major pain.
Whether this helps or not,...I exit out of eReader on my N800 by doing the following,....While in eReader I first tap on the Home icon on the Palm taskbar. This takes me back to Palm's menu screen. I then get out of the Palm emulator by either hitting the Esc key on my N800 (I'm guessing you have an N900 so possibly the backspace key might work since you don't have the Escape key?),....or by hitting the Home key on my N800 which pulls up the current running programs and then tapping the 'x' on the Palm emulator program box. This then gets me to the Garnet VM launcher menu (or xTerm command line if launched by command line).

BTW, the only time I have found that I have to re-authorize my books is if I run eReader through the command line and then the next time run it using the Garnet VM program launcher (or vice-versa).

Just saw this tip by Michal Jerz over on the My-symbian.com forums (http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopi...40793&start=12). Maybe this will help since you don't have Esc key on N900...
'And it is actually possible to switch Quake (or any other fullscreen app) to "windowed" mode when you want to close it. Press the Power button (to show the menu (which contains the "End current task" button) and just WAIT several seconds. Status/title bar will be shown in the backround. You can close the menu and normally end the app using its "X" button.'

I tried this on the N800 by putting the Palm emulator in "windowed" mode by cycling through the different viewing modes (landscape, portrait, windowd) using the N800's full-screen key. Once in windowed mode, I wwas able to hit the 'x' button on the window and close it that way saving the settings. Hopefully tapping the 'x' button in windowed mode will work for you too.

Last edited by Pushwall; 2010-01-20 at 14:02.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
On a daughter app/window, I close with Ctrl+back arrow (the last key on the right, upper most row).
On the parent/main window, I close with GarnetVM menu>Close.
On mine, Ctrl-back in the daughter window puts me in the multitasking area (whatever it's called), and and then allows me to close the window using the X button, which, unfortunately, seems to be the equivalent of kill task. menu>Close seems to work independently of the daughter windows, and allows closing the Garnet VM screen without closing the actual session. So, no, it doesn't seem to help.

I lived in Detroit for a while, Bun, and did a lot of growing up there.

Found the way! Ctrl-backspace, kill the ereader window with the X button, and then bring up the Garnet VM window and do Garnet VM menu -> Close. This evidently allows it to flush and save properly. Thanks. for the help all.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Holy bedsheet crapballs!

A rare showing of Pushwall!

Dude, I was beginning to think that you were "called home", aka dead in real life.

Maybe I should start having higher expectations of you.

Good to see that you're still kickin' it, you were one of my favorite posters here.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Dude, I was beginning to think that you were "called home", aka dead in real life.
Hey scumnuts!! Most days last year I did feel like I was "called home". But things are finally easing a bit and I might possibly have some freedom in the next month or so. I'm sure once you become Dr. Addison you'll do some disappearing too. Hopefully I'll be around here more often in the future.

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Hope it's OK to piggyback off of this thread as it's about using eReader app....

Just installed GarnetVM on my N900 per another thread....GarnetVM works OK....

The eReader app opens up OK, but doesn't see any of my books that I copied over to my N900. Also, when I use the Open command from the menu, it doesn't give me a way to navigate to the folder where the book files are kept. So, I'm wondering if eReader is setup to only look in a specific location/folder for book files??

Does anyone have any ideas?

FYI, I do use fbReader already, but I need eReader as I have books that I purchased when I had a Palm before, so, need to open them in this app...

Thanks!

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800