Active Topics

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
i got a question:
dies ovi maps route you as you drive or go?
i played around wth it and when i entered my location (or rather let the gps recognize where i am) and the destination i wanted to go to, it wasnt starting any routing (ie a voive telling i have to turn left in 200 meters or so)

i just could look at a text list that told me step for step what to do. but thats really not useful if you're driving, i could just as well print out a description then.

can you use ovi maps to actively route?

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by msa View Post
...dies ovi maps route you as you drive or go?...
Yes, it painted a red thick route for you to follow, as long as your tracking red dot is on the route, you are on the right tract, literally. No, voice to voice turn by turn is not there yet.

Since I am here, let me say something about this thread. I post this thread by no mean I am saying Ovi maps is the best thing in the world or is a top rate finished product GPS. My philosophy, if you already own the device, may as well 'learn' how to make it work. To keep saying Ovi maps is useless is NOT going to get you anywhere. Please do not get irate/upset, it is my way of looking at this world, ABSOLUTELY not direct to any particular posting.

bun

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
is it possible to make it work by using virtual box on a linux 64 bit machine?
has anyone tried that?
I have a linux box, not quite sure what do you want to try, the Ovi maps itself or the download part?

bun

On Windows 7, you can use the virtual OS program "XP Mode" (Available from microsoft website). Thats the only way.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tiptronic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ France
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Yes, it painted a red thick route for you to follow, as long as your tracking red dot is on the route, you are on the right tract, literally. No, voice to voice turn by turn is not there yet.

bun
I found this out as well - I was thinking Wow, OVI maps actually does do turn-by-turn tracking, what are all these guys talking about when they say it doesn't???....until I took a wrong turn!

The OVI map software doesn't really seem to care if you don't follow the route it tells you to and it doesn't go about trying to compute an alternative route once you stray off. This is really too bad since it seems it wouldn't take much programming to just have it recompute a new route automatically once your actual GPS coordinates are a certain distance away from the planned route.
I don't consider voice directions very important but certainly telling you how to "get back on track" once you deviate from your planned route is critical. Maybe next version...

-=AC=-

The Following User Says Thank You to AloxeCorton For This Useful Post:
i am not getting an accurate gps lock....the position shown on the map is around 100 mts off the actual position.....has anybody else experienced the same?

Are you on the road or in a building when you get that?

Originally Posted by guy2die4 View Post
i am not getting an accurate gps lock....the position shown on the map is around 100 mts off the actual position.....has anybody else experienced the same?
yes. when your zoom level is very high (way pass street level). when you zoom down (street are smaller). situation gets better?

bun

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I have a linux box, not quite sure what do you want to try, the Ovi maps itself or the download part?

bun
Would be nice to check if a Windows 32 bit, running on top of a Linux 64 bit system with VirtualBox, could be used with Map Loader? If that Windows installation would recognize, and more importantly, install the maps.

This is regarding the problem of getting the n900 to work with map loader in win 7. I'm running win 7 64-bit and and been fooling about with the .qt file sitting on the n900's flash memory. Not sure if anything works yet but would appreciate some help from everyone verifying what is going on. My posts are here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...805#post492805

Thanks to rash.m2k for getting things started along that path.

The Following User Says Thank You to eightyhertz For This Useful Post:

Tags
gps, landmark, maploader, ovi maps, poi