Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
I installed cups to have network printing capabilities for the applications under easy-debian, which works like a charm. Anytime I chroot to Debian, I have my network printers available, but when I reboot the N900 itself, I need to
Code:
/etc/init.d/cups restart
once, but then it will be available for all easy-debian sessions, until I turn off the N900 again.

Anyone knows why? And how to make the startup of cups automatic?
Where did you get cups from? Unside easy debian or inside maemo?

I did apt-cache search cups and cupsys and got nothing.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Where did you get cups from?
Under easy-debian! CUPS is then available for openoffice, but can also be used to print ps and pdf files downloaded under Maemo. See my post in the thread "Printers and N900":
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...369#post490369

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
I reflashed my phone and now everything works fine but ther is no Gimp anymore. OO works OK. What did I do wrong?

For those who are still looking for a reader for djvu files, which are not read by FBReader afaik:

The Debian package djview installed fine under Easy Debian, and so I have now a very nice reader for my collection of dvju files. To start by an application icon, I added the file djview.desktop
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=djview
Icon=FBReader
Exec=debbie djview
Type=Application
to the folder /usr/share/applications/hildon. (For the icon I just used that from FBReader.)

(In fact, I start with
Code:
Exec=debbie djview /home/user/MyDocs/Books/DJV/oneofmy.djvu
so that I don't have to click through to that folder which holds my djvu files.)

The only glitch is that after switching to full screen I cannot go back, because the keyboard doesn't have F11 or Escape, so I then have to close by Ctrl-Backspace and exiting after that. (Or is there some trick to have those function keys other than remapping the keyboard?)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
@rebhana: do you find that djview is superior to evince? I'm interested in your experience.

nice and well written.

Amazing news, but it would be great to see open Office directly on maemo without debian need.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
@rebhana: do you find that djview is superior to evince? I'm interested in your experience.
I haven't tried out evince, because it seemed to require a couple of upgrades, and since Easy Debian warns against upgrades, I didn't do it. Do you have evince installed? Djview is comparatively small, I think, so you could simply try it out and compare!

EDIT: I now also installed evince (after a backup of my Debian image file), and also that went without any problem. Both djview and evince work fine for displaying my djvu files. Evince has the advantage that I can get back from full-screen mode, because it is not entirely full-screen and keeps a button for going back. (With presentation mode I have the same problem of not being able to back. Moreover, I then need to edit/delete the file /home/user/.gnome2/evince/ev-metadata.xml so that I can open the file without immediately going to presentation mode.) Djview however has the advantage that I can scroll down on a given page without the stylus, just with the touchscreen.

So I guess I'll continue using djview for my djvu files, but evince will be my pdf reader in place of the built-in one whenever I need to be able to do more than just having a quick look, such as searching for text.

I'm really overwhelmed by how much the installation of Easy Debian just 1 1/2 days ago has added to my N900: not only openoffice and the gimp, but after a few apt-get install's also network printing through CUPS, djview, evince, gv, and grace (a scientific plotting tool). I'm now tempted to continue by installing xmaxima, the open-source symbolic math program preceding maple and mathematica I've been working with during my PhD thesis, which back then required a serious mainframe computer...

EDIT2: I found that my installation of evince under Easy Debian crashes on opening postscript files. @debernardis: Are you able to open postscript files with evince?

Last edited by rebhana; 2010-01-24 at 20:18.

Originally Posted by drm View Post
Amazing news, but it would be great to see open Office directly on maemo without debian need.
Starting openoffice through debbie and an application icon, it actually feels like being directly on maemo! See http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/2...p-on-the-n900/ for the how-to.

In fact, it has a big advantage having this monster within Debian chroot. If something gets screwed up with it, it will only be the Debian image, which can be easily reinstalled - you won't have to reflash your whole device!

I have found a way to deal with dialog boxes appearing in openoffice.org running under lxde not fitting to the screen:

In the terminal open in lxde type:

xmodmap -e "keysym ISO_Level3_Shift = Alt_L"

Now Alt-space will pop-up the window operations menu. Using the stylus, choose move, and you can move the dialog around. It works also when the title bar is outside of the screen.

It could probably be put in some startup file.
Leaving only the left, vertical panel, adding the menu to it and removing the top panel leaves much more screen area for the editor, you can also remove decorations from the editor window.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gwj For This Useful Post: