Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by lothix View Post
Thanks for testing Maegios!
thanks for programming it!

My guess is that the app can't properly connect to your Nagios instance due to incorrect URL and/or username/password. Make sure that URL has "/nagios" appended to the end (or the location where you go to when accessing Nagios through a web browser).
hmm.. i've cut and pasted the url from the browser, where it works, as well as the username, and re-entered the password 3 times, being careful of the evil first letter that gets set to uppercase by default... i could still be somehow doing something wrong but it seems unlikely.

There was a bug introduced in the last release that keeps showing "fetching..." instead of "Disconnected" when Maegios is launched by clicking the widget and can not connect to the Nagios instance. It will be fixed in the next release and more specific messages will be added on top of "Disconnected" to aid with initial configuration.
can confirm this: if I launch maegios from terminal it quickly switches to disconnected, rather than hang in fetching state. A more informative error message would be useful. maybe a verbose or debug command line option for starts? i expect nagios admins will not be afraid to use command line..

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted by feydrutha View Post
hmm.. i've cut and pasted the url from the browser, where it works, as well as the username, and re-entered the password 3 times,
It was doing the same for me. Took me a while to figure out there was a space at the end of my username. I'm now connected through HTTPS with a self signed certificate correctly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago, IL
Originally Posted by Slocan View Post
It was doing the same for me. Took me a while to figure out there was a space at the end of my username. I'm now connected through HTTPS with a self signed certificate correctly.
Thanks for letting us know, I'll auto trim spaces in the next release to improve usability.

thanks for the tip but I have no spaces here, so I'm still in the dark..

thanks for the tip but I have no spaces here, so I'm still in the dark..
If you're not afraid of the command line, start a python interpreter, and then type (or copy/paste) the following. The end variable data would contain what the server returned (if all goes well, it returns [], double brackets). If there is an error on the way, it might lead you to the solution.

Code:
from gnome import gconf
import socket, httplib, urllib, base64, htmllib, formatter

username = base64.b64decode(gconf.client_get_default().get_string('/apps/maegios/username'))
password = base64.b64decode(gconf.client_get_default().get_string('/apps/maegios/password'))

base64string = base64.encodestring('%s:%s' % (username, password))[:-1]
headers = {"Authorization": "Basic %s" % base64string}
socket.setdefaulttimeout(5)
url = gconf.client_get_default().get_string('/apps/maegios/url').split('/')
connection = httplib.HTTPSConnection(url[2])
connection.request("POST", "/%s/%s" % (url[3], "cgi-bin/status.cgi"), [], headers)
response = connection.getresponse()
data = response.read()
data

Just some quick feedback after playing with it for a bit:
- the main window does not refresh automatically if it stays open
- clicking the widget seems to open a new stackedWindow on top of the old ones (meaning you have to close them all one by one to quit)
- need a way to disable the yellow banners (or at least that it doesn't flash if the alerts haven't changed)
- when I had username/connection issues, the app seemed to lock up for quite a while, and even triggered the notice hildon-home was not responding
- give more feedback when the connection fails (report what the server said) rather than say "Disconnected"

Otherwise, that's great work, it works well, and is pretty handy.

Last edited by Slocan; 2010-01-25 at 23:30.

Just some quick feedback after playing with it for a bit:
- the main window does not refresh automatically if it stays open
- clicking the widget seems to open a new stackedWindow on top of the old ones (meaning you have to close them all one by one to quit)
- need a way to disable the yellow banners (or at least that it doesn't flash if the alerts haven't changed)
- when I had username/connection issues, the app seemed to lock up for quite a while, and even triggered the notice hildon-home was not responding
- give more feedback when the connection fails (report what the server said) rather than say "Disconnected"

Otherwise, that's great work, it works well, and is pretty handy.
Thanks for testing! I will get these issues fixed.

Thanks for testing! I will get these issues fixed.
I'll also add that it doesn't seem to be respecting the refresh settings. I left it at the default of 5 minutes, but it connects about twice a minute on average. This drains the battery quite fast (especially since it prevents the screen from switching off for inactivity).

If you're not afraid of the command line, start a python interpreter, and then type (or copy/paste) the following. The end variable data would contain what the server returned (if all goes well, it returns [], double brackets). If there is an error on the way, it might lead you to the solution.
Thanks a lot. I've tried the code above and can now see the error message apache is giving. It is giving me an authorization required message. I have now cut&pasted the password in and am 100% sure all the credentials are correct.

The webserver is apache 2, and I am using htdigest authentication. I could try switching to basic authentication if this might be helpful.. should make no difference security-wise since it is all SSL anyhow.

Otherwise I have no clue... could special characters in the password give trouble? I have some in there, but i'd rather not post which ;-)... But I could try changing password to test this if it is at all plausible.

The Following User Says Thank You to feydrutha For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot. I've tried the code above and can now see the error message apache is giving. It is giving me an authorization required message. I have now cut&pasted the password in and am 100% sure all the credentials are correct.

The webserver is apache 2, and I am using htdigest authentication. I could try switching to basic authentication if this might be helpful.. should make no difference security-wise since it is all SSL anyhow.

Otherwise I have no clue... could special characters in the password give trouble? I have some in there, but i'd rather not post which ;-)... But I could try changing password to test this if it is at all plausible.
Ah, you have Nagios set up to use digest authentication. That's why you can't connect with Maegios right now. It doesn't support digest authentication yet. I will include support for digest authentication in the next release. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to lothix For This Useful Post: