Originally Posted by johnel View Post
This means if the community really wanted to we could fork our own version of maemo and maybe make our own compatible version.
Follow Mer. they are also working on N900 functionality.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
im going to trade my n900 for an n810!
no just kidding.

we just should boycott next device if maemo 6 is not backported. maybe some n810 owner did it with the n900. or demontrating in front of nokia factory and block the production for some months in order to remain the owners of the best phone for some time more. or we could develop it by ourselves since is open.

what we will actually do is: buying silently the next device like sheeps. ill take three of them.

is android considered more open than maemo then? the xda developer community ports later versions of android to their phone and its also possible to port it to n900. thee community here wont be able to have a community port to n900 of harmattan?

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by reviver View Post
This is completely within my expectations of step 4 out of 5 with Maemo. Just as I bought the device. I did not buy step 4 that magically turns into step 5. Sure that would be nice bonus, but I am not going to expect that. For me N900 was by far the best thing out there and I really needed a new "phone". I am happy.
Well this is not within MY expectations, as I couldn't find any Nokia advertisments saying "Hey, this is the n900, step 4 out of 5!".

Furthermore I can't find any "Step 4 out of 5" label in any of these Nokia's official websites:

http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...#/main/landing

http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/

http://www.nokiausa.com/find-product...#/main/landing

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to omeriko9 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dyce View Post
is android considered more open than maemo then? the xda developer community ports later versions of android to their phone and its also possible to port it to n900. thee community here wont be able to have a community port to n900 of harmattan?
This was discussed here.

There are more proprietary components making up the base of Maemo than there are Android. They both have proprietary drivers, but some of the other parts of maemo that actually make it function are closed off as well. The base Android OS is totally available for anyone to compile and use and put their own drivers in place.

Plus, using things like xda-dev's isn't the best way to express "openness" considering, as I mentioned elsewhere, cyanogen got a Cease and Desist order from Google for distributing their proprietary software (maps, market, etc).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
lol nokia need to start taking advice from dominos pizza....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thinh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
The decision of making Harmattan available on the N900 can be either come from a business or engineering point of view.

From a business point of view, it could happen that a decision comes from higher up saying "Make Maemo 6 available on the N900 no matter what", in which case engineers will make it happen.

From an engineering point of view, Maemo 6 could be developed until it reaches a point where it can be seen if it is feasible to make it available on the N900... and let business guys pick the broken dishes if not (angry customers, trade-in option, etc).
I am quoting myself on this to make a point perfectly clear:

In my opinion, there needs to be a business-higher-up type of decision that says "Maemo 6 needs to be supported on the N900, not matter the cost or the effort". Period. If more time is needed to further develop Maemo 6, if more money is going to be needed hiring developers, if money is going to be lost by launching the device later than intended, so be it.

If for X reason, it is just technically impossible to fit Maemo 6 in the N900, then a trade-in discount program should be launched.

But Nokia can't afford to alienate customers, that have put their faith and goodwill on this nascent platform in such a gross way.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
This was discussed here.cyanogen got a Cease and Desist order from Google for distributing their proprietary software (maps, market, etc).
Which aren't part of the base Android sources. Therefore you can't count cyanogen's run-in with Google against Android.

And while Maemo's governance is more open, it isn't obvious how much power it has nor does it give enough indication of future courses to quell threads like this or the other whiner thread.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Threads like this kinda drive me crazy - they did on Android forums too. Same complaints I heard there are here. Like Louis CK said "Everything's amazing, nobody's happy..."

I have in my hands right now probably the most amazing chunk of technology they've ever held. It's not perfect. But it's awesome enough to make iPhone 3GS owners stare and mumble. And still people can't just use it and enjoy it. As usual, they want more. When they get more, they want more.

In a nutshell...QT 4.6 is coming to Maemo 5, so likely (most) apps developed later for Maemo 6 will run on 5 with little or no work. So if we get Maemo 6 - good. Not get Maemo 6 - still good, we can still run most new apps on 5. Isn't that the plan?

And like with Android/iPhone, apps can add missing features/functionality. Jeez, my G1/Android 1.0 couldn't do hardly anything when it came out. When the G1/Android had the initial release press conference, people kept asking "Does it xxx?" And the answer was mostly "That sounds like an excellent opportunity for a 3rd-party developer." because Android 1.0 was crippled crap. I haven't spent time with an Android 2x device, but with just the default stuff the N900 alreadykills anything running 1.6 or earlier. I'm SO glad I got away from Google/Android! And the iPhone...well...it's just frustrating.

Look, the N900 works today. It will still work tomorrow, next week, next year. Updated or not, it's still good. I just don't see a significant problem.

Edit: I'm not saying Maemo 6 shouldn't be supported on the N900. I think it would be smart business and good customer relations if it is. Nokia should definitely listen up to what's being said. I'm just sayin' as a user, I don't see a major problem it it's not.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2010-01-29 at 22:01.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Which aren't part of the base Android sources. Therefore you can't count cyanogen's run-in with Google against Android.
No but I wasn't using against Android I was using it against xda-dev's... where a vast majority of those ROM's *do* include those components. Did you read my post? I did say the Android OS is more freely available for porting. However, most of those things on xda-dev's are *technically* illegal, except for cyanogen's new "legal" roms and some that take his methods of "copying" the proprietary components over.

And while Maemo's governance is more open, it isn't obvious how much power it has nor does it give enough indication of future courses to quell threads like this or the other whiner thread.
I'm not quite sure what you were getting at with this...I *think* I agree with your second part if I am understanding it right.. Nokia has a more open ecosystem with regards to it being "your" device than either Google or Apple, however Nokia has very little in the way of announcements or customer interaction that I've witnessed.

As far as How much "power" maemo has? It's blatantly obvious to me... it's a GNU/Linux system.

Tags
compatibility, future, harmattan, harmattan is for new $$$, maemo, maemo 6, n900, speculation, upgrade