Posts: 65 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by jaxxstorm View Post
Did you every trying setting http_proxy in xterm or are you just going to moan continuously?
That's not the right way to set the proxy: Settings -> Internet connections -> Connections -> (select connection) -> Edit -> Next -> Next (until you see the advanced button)

Then you'll see a "proxies" tab.

I've no idea what actually makes use of those proxy settings, probably nothing from telepathy does it.

I I'll read that from msn-pecan, and maybe try to patch telepathy-haze as well.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
If Skype works, Facebook should as well. They both use telepathy, so they should both be equally aware of proxies.
Wrong. AFAIU telepathy doesn't provide a centralized way to get configurations; and even if it did; one telepathy CM might have proxy support implemented, while another one wouldn't.

Same goes for libpurple plugins, although libpurple makes it easier for plugins, so chances are if one works the rest would too.

IOW you can't really assume anything.

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
If Skype works, Facebook should as well. They both use telepathy, so they should both be equally aware of proxies.
No they dont. were they heck did you get that from. skype is one of the most advance piece of technology when it comes to getting round wirewalls and proxy. Infact skype calls and IMs dont get charged by my network carriers I can even make calls even when am out of carrier credit. I could make a 3 hour calls and wont get charged a damn.. skype on the N900 is the full blown skype integrated to Conservation and the call app. It has nothing to do with Telepathy. gtalk doesnt work on the N900 because it uses telepathy XMPP/Jabber framework and there is a bug on maemo about telepathy jabber not working with network proxy that bug has been filed since the since 2006 and still yet to be fixed.

My Blog

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kassel, Hesse, Germany
Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
No they dont. were they heck did you get that from. skype is one of the most advance piece of technology when it comes to getting round wirewalls and proxy. Infact skype calls and IMs dont get charged by my network carriers I can even make calls even when am out of carrier credit. I could make a 3 hour calls and wont get charged a damn.. skype on the N900 is the full blown skype integrated to Conservation and the call app. It has nothing to do with Telepathy.
Skype is a telepathy connection manager named telepathy-spirit.

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by felipec View Post
That's not the right way to set the proxy: Settings -> Internet connections -> Connections -> (select connection) -> Edit -> Next -> Next (until you see the advanced button)

Then you'll see a "proxies" tab.

I've no idea what actually makes use of those proxy settings, probably nothing from telepathy does it.

I I'll read that from msn-pecan, and maybe try to patch telepathy-haze as well.
Normally that is how proxy should be configured on the N900. But if you do that alone on the browser and skype would work. Nothing else would. I mean not one thing that requires internet would work.. no 3rd party app, no core system app nothing.. you device would be an internet lemon if you connect via a proxy. I mean its that bad.. Bad is actually an understatement. the only work around which would make the pain a bit bearable is to add http_proxy to /etc/profile and hope your favourite app uses libcurls otherwise just forget it. even then its still a bit PITA.. One can almost think that Maemo was designed not to be used behind proxy and the proxy settings is just some piece of config file no application respect. The saddest part of this is that no one seems to be paying attention to it cus not many people are affected. But every OS I have tried even symbian and Microsoft windows have excellent http proxy support. the situation in maemo is beyond pathetic. Seriously

My Blog

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by jak View Post
Thank you, and that's exactly why I said what I said. And no, it's not the full Skype client. P2P isn't in use, for example.

Originally Posted by jak View Post
and is that what the N900 use? because on the N810 skype was the only application that worked with proxy. Infact ask any sysad there would tell you skype is notorious for getting round firewalls that is why its hugely popular and why it just works. I dont know much about telepathy-spirit but I know that Telepathy (and any of its non skype plugin just doesnt work with proxy)

NB indeed skype on the N900 is based on telepathy-spirit which is closed source btw the underlining protocol is proprietary. I think its just a way to port the skype proprietary protocol to N900. Its just a shame that such closed source protocol is the only component of telepathy that works with and respect the system wide proxy

My Blog

Last edited by bigbrovar; 2010-02-01 at 16:28.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kassel, Hesse, Germany
Thank you, and that's exactly why I said what I said. And no, it's not the full Skype client. P2P isn't in use, for example.
Just to add, it uses skyhost:

SkyHost (version: skyhost-spirit2009-armv6-linux-eabi-1.10.337)

Proprietary and Confidential

Copyright 2003-2008 Skype Limited
Patents Pending, Skype Limited
Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the 'S'-symbol are trademarks of Skype Limited.
[Portions Copyright (c) 2001-2008 Joltid (tm) Limited. All rights reserved.
Patents Pending, Joltid Limited. www.joltid.com]

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Please help.

I installed Extra Protocol Plugins For Conversations And Contacts 0.8 and rebooted 2x

Still no option to add Facebook.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Wichita, KS
Originally Posted by thenokiablog View Post
Please help.

I installed Extra Protocol Plugins For Conversations And Contacts 0.8 and rebooted 2x

Still no option to add Facebook.
Have you tried "apt-get update" then "apt-get upgrade" in xterm? Make sure application manager is not running or apt-get will return error

Tags
facebook chat n900 maemo