Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bay area ca
Server provisioning is a big -ve of Nokia N900. It works on 5800 all other E series devices. Corpoarations will not allow phone to talk to their exchange server unless it is implemented on N900. I cannot get my N900 to check emails even on Campus for the same reason.
The more I look at this issue, nokia just introduced in the market a half baked product which is wanting but can never really satiate you. There are ton of half baked features on N900 so on paper it looks great and when you try to use those there are so many caveats that it is practically useless. Do not give MFE if you cannot test it fully. It is amazing that Nokia MFE expert does not know about server provisioning. Even in the Nokia corp I am sure their IT dept would want to have server provisioning of the phones.
Well as said it is unfinished and half baked product. I hope they release software to make this a really usable product. Smart phone catatgory or even mobile catagory needs the email support unless nokia says use on only yahoo/google. I hope they release software to make this a really usable product. At this moment I am using just as a plane phone and surf. No corp email and slow ovi , few games here and there.
What a shame on such a fantastic hardware and more disappointment for early adopters.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
One thing I would not do is continue parroting the same thing over and over and over again in the same place.

I would escalate.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
-Albert Einstein

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabuff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The thing is that vitaly is well aware of the need.

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Texrat: do you thing that this is acceptable in this market? To introduce a device that can not get me corporate email?

Jesus, people. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

If they'd held back the release until March (another 5 months), people would be whining about the delay. They released it as early as they could, and, as should be expected, the code isn't fully complete.

So they released it early to get it in the hands of users, and people yell loudly about it being incomplete!

Coding is not easy. It takes time to get it right. I know it's hard to have patience after dropping the better part of $1k on a device, but consider that for every feature that's "half-baked," 50 other features work flawlessly.

Consider:

Multimedia framework (transparent audio routing!)
Task switching
Suspend/resume cycle
Phone calls
Bluetooth handsfree/a2dp
Contact merging (incredibly difficult to implement well, and it's brilliant)
Wifi (except some advanced WEP configs)
Camera (still _and_ video, with focusing)
Input and special characters
The package distribution system
IMAP/SMTP
Desktop widgets
SMS, MSN, Gtalk, and a host of other IM protocols
FM radio (transmit and receive)
.. and a whole host of lower level services running in the background like power management, charge controller, GSM firmware loader, etc, etc.

It's an incredible amount of software packed into this little device, and it's still only a couple months on the market. The features that are badly broken can be counted on one hand, while the ones that work acceptably or perfectly are in the dozens/hundreds.

No amount of hoping will make perfect code appear... it takes effort, patience, and time.

EDIT: To make this post more constructive.... for the first couple weeks I couldn't get my exchange working either, but the Nokia PC suite worked perfectly for sync'ing my contacts and calendar. It's not ideal, and didn't sync email for me... but it at least helped. Has everyone tried that?

Last edited by nightfire; 2010-02-03 at 22:15.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post:
The issue is that our servers will not communicate with non-provisioning device such as N900. If I knew prior to buying that this is an issue, I would not have bought N900.

Originally Posted by planetf1 View Post
Now another question. First caveat is that this is with google. HOWEVER I wonder if there is a general mail client BUG?

* Create Nokia Messaging account (for gmail)
* send/receive of email works fine
* Create mfe account for gmail, calendar only
* calendar sync works ok
* NM continues to work fine for receiving mail
* Compose new mail & send
* Mail does not get sent. sits on outbox
* Confirm "default" mailbox is nokia messaging
* delete gmail mfe account, mail then sends ok

So disregarding whether or not mfe works, I think the mail client is trying to send through the wrong account.

Anyone else seen this? bug open? If not sound slike a valid bug (I can open one if so)

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5503

known, old, still there :-(

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bay area ca
Products are not released like what you described below. Exchange server like it or not is defacto mail server for corp. You do not release it unless it is baked. You will create more confusion than winning few tinkerers. Are there good features yes abs, switched to Nokia N900 for that reason. Start using it and then it falls apart.
For ex: On Contacts : Can't group. very basic feature.
Media player : Good but , indexing bug I still cannot display jpegs photos. People can come to maemo and go through the emails and make it work. Is that supposed to be the norm here.
No unicode support to display the website in my language (Indian) : I am sure there are many other folks who have the same issue. Nokia is world leader in phone accross 46 countries and iphone supports unicode from gen 1 device. Did not have to do anything.

No Isync plugin . Getting contacts is a pain.
On ovi cannot stick my default location. Needs to constantly input it.
I can go on ...... point is not whining. You do not release a half baked product . You do that for 300/400 developers whose feedback would make it a near perfect product. I am really surprised who were the 300 developers nokia gave the product for usability testing. I question their judgement big time. I can volunteer for their next gen product and will give them real feedback .

Not all is lost if they release the software to take care of this. Coolness of N900 hype can last for a month or so or less then it will start exposing the real weakness on nokia's software and I think I suspect that is what is starting to happen to most of N900 early adopters.

Originally Posted by nightfire View Post
Jesus, people. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

If they'd held back the release until March (another 5 months), people would be whining about the delay. They released it as early as they could, and, as should be expected, the code isn't fully complete.

So they released it early to get it in the hands of users, and people yell loudly about it being incomplete!

Coding is not easy. It takes time to get it right. I know it's hard to have patience after dropping the better part of $1k on a device, but consider that for every feature that's "half-baked," 50 other features work flawlessly.

Consider:

Multimedia framework (transparent audio routing!)
Task switching
Suspend/resume cycle
Phone calls
Bluetooth handsfree/a2dp
Contact merging (incredibly difficult to implement well, and it's brilliant)
Wifi (except some advanced WEP configs)
Camera (still _and_ video, with focusing)
Input and special characters
The package distribution system
IMAP/SMTP
Desktop widgets
SMS, MSN, Gtalk, and a host of other IM protocols
FM radio (transmit and receive)
.. and a whole host of lower level services running in the background like power management, charge controller, GSM firmware loader, etc, etc.

It's an incredible amount of software packed into this little device, and it's still only a couple months on the market. The features that are badly broken can be counted on one hand, while the ones that work acceptably or perfectly are in the dozens/hundreds.

No amount of hoping will make perfect code appear... it takes effort, patience, and time.

EDIT: To make this post more constructive.... for the first couple weeks I couldn't get my exchange working either, but the Nokia PC suite worked perfectly for sync'ing my contacts and calendar. It's not ideal, and didn't sync email for me... but it at least helped. Has everyone tried that?

I would be happy to be a guinea pig in developing the product, but not in paying my own $600 for being a guinea

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I would be happy not seeing Vitaly's thread spammed up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
i thought this thread especially for enhancing MfE not whinning, oh well.

Tags
activesync, certificate, email, exchange, fremantle, ignore tex14, maemo 5, mail for exchange, mfe, n900, provisioning, sync, thanks vitaly!