Active Topics

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
As of tonight, PyQt is available to the general public as a simple Extras install
That's to the Maemo 5 general public, to be more specific. I know it's Qt that's holding PyQt back on Diablo and I wonder if it will ever get out of extras-devel. Does anyone has any insight on this?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Obviously Nokia will not push it to an official firmware, the question is if we can get it in a community SSU. The biggest problem is that on Maemo 4.x we don't have the option of sticking it in /opt so will use up precious root space (and we can't put it directly on SD storage as it has a noexec flag). The number of people working from cloned/SD boot setups is very small compared to the number of devices in total.

I had a patchset (and sort of even given the green light from some Nokians) to try and make a loop-device based storage for Qt. Now, that did work but I never felt it was stable enough to release it through Extras. But you raise an interesting point, I'll try and talk to stskeeps and see whether this can be resolved on an SSU level.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Hi there,

It's very nice to have PyQt available to the general public as a simple Extras install, but as long as python2.5-qt4-core is missing from the Extras repository, the general public will continue to live without it. It's currently impossible to install it without enabling extras-testing.

Reference: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43953

Any idea when this will be fixed?
Thanks.

Ulysses

http://maemo.org/packages/view/python2.5-qt4-core/ seems to be in all repos ?

But regardless, package versions seem to be FUBAR (i promoted -maemo3, not -mamemo5 so we now have a magic mix of versions).

Will talk to repo people to have this sorted out...

EDIT: Okay, plot unfolding, versioning mixup is a result of fatalsaint apparently triggering a logic flaw in the promotion system. Working on the issue.

Last edited by attila77; 2010-02-10 at 08:34.

OK, people, apparently there were some changes in the Qt4.6 release plan/schedule and we inadvertently got caught in it, managing to break even Extras for a short while We will need another 10 days to get through the (new and improved and hopefully much less breakable) testing queue, so I ask for a little patience...

EDIT: Okay, plot unfolding, versioning mixup is a result of fatalsaint apparently triggering a logic flaw in the promotion system. Working on the issue.
Seriously... WTF?? If I broke Maemo why the hell hasn't anybody told me! lol.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Poland
Yes, dear friends, the wait is over, this is the real deal, PyQt 4.7 is available for the masses !

• In Extras - available to ALL users and applications, not just bold people willing to enable extras-devel ! Finally, you can write a Qt based Python app and get it to be a proper Extras download !
  • Qt 4.5 AND Qt 4.6 - PyQt for maemo follows the Qt deployment roadmap (i.e. 4.5 support in Extras and 4.6 support in Extras-devel)
  • N800/N810/N900 support - yes, it's available and works on all Maemo devices except for the 770
  • Now with a proper demo package - no command line magic needed to start dabbling with PyQt - just download python2.5-qt4-doc from the application manager and you get a demo tour application plus all necessary modules and docs to start basic development
  • OpenGL ES support - unlike previous versions, this one sports QtOpenGL support (you might need additional GL packages !)
  • Synchronized with upstream 4.7 - whatever upstream implements, we get, too, which also means full compatibility with desktop PyQt applications
  • Smallest footprint - Uses the least amount of memory from all available Qt bindings
  • Easy upgrade path - almost completely API compatible with PySide - stuff you do in PyQt needs minimal effort to port to PySide should you decide to switch down the line

EDIT: there were some autobuilder/dependency issues in the 4.7-maemo2 version, check if yout have the correct updated one (4.7-maemo3+) if weird issues pop up in the SDK.

Grab it while it's hot and have some Python fun !

Originally Posted by pabloniss View Post
i can't install that but i don't have Qt-core.. and i even don't find it anywere.. help!!!

I need a bit more info to be able to help - what Maemo version are you using ? Are you trying to install on the device or in the SDK ? In any case, you should not be installing QtCore manually - it will be installed by PyQt automatically (and if you have the N900, QtCore comes with the device by default).

Originally Posted by pabloniss View Post
has just my n900 with latest software..

Thanks, but its OK now. I reboot my device and install this without any problem..

I have a similar problem with another application in which there is no package "perl-modules'. Here, unfortunately, reboot does not help

its did again...

when i want to install any kind applications that pops up message .. Application packages missing: pyth2.5 qt ... etc

why?

Last edited by pabloniss; 2010-02-11 at 20:41.

we inadvertently got caught in it, managing to break even Extras for a short while We will need another 10 days to get through the (new and improved and hopefully much less breakable) testing queue, so I ask for a little patience...
This is still in effect. I expect to have a proper build in the repositories today.

I have (finally) managed to upload a new version that is supposed to fix the dependency problems people experienced in Fremantle due to the Extras-Qt4.6 fallout. Please test and report back.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Lisbon, Portugal
I have just upgraded to PR1.1.1 and tried to install the PyQt4 Demo.

Tried to install via Extras-testing (not in Extras yet), but I still get the an error message stating missing packages
python2.5-qt4-core (=4.7 maemo2).

Tags
development, pyqt, pyside, python, qt4