Active Topics

Hi,

Short version:
- Is there a handsfree or navigation unit that can initialize playback from the N900 over A2DP/AVRCP/magic?

Long version:

I am getting a new car - Volvo V50, 2007 - in which I can't easily switch head units, with no built in bluetooth. Modern cars are so much easilier outdated than older ones. At least the stereo has an AUX plug.

Today I have a USB stick with over 80 albums for music, going back to CD is out of the question. The stereo also have bluetooth handsfree, and I prefer to keep my phone in the pocket.

So, the question is, what do I plug into that AUX plug? My next car's stereo needs a babelfish.

The main requirement is for the handsfree to take precedence over music, like on every bluetooth enabled head unit. The second is for the device to be able to control music. It's not important if it streams from the phone (though that's preferable) or plays from a memory card.

My current stereo has A2DP and can play the stream, but I have to initialize it from the N900. For this to be an acceptable feature, it has to be able to start, stop, skip songs easily, without me going through menus to start the N900 mediaplayer manually. I don't know if any device can do that, in which case I'd settle for keeping the music on the new device.

Navigation isn't really a requirement, but why not...

I want to be able to enter the car, buckle up, start to drive, and then turn on music after five minutes, and if that yes dear/no dear conversation should happen to come, music should automatically be muted.

Either way, this isn't going to be a perfect solution. I won't be able to use my steering wheel controls to control the N900 or hands free unit. I don't think there's an easy way to hook up to the built in stereo.

So, tell me people, for a successful N900 -> gadget -> head unit relationship, what solutions have you guys chosen? Any suggestions?

Ah, I always end up using too many words.

How about a Parrot CK3000 with the adapter for your car?

Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
How about a Parrot CK3000 with the adapter for your car?
I used to have a Parrot car kit (current car came with BT ) and it was brilliant. It would detect music playing on my phone and then play that through the car speakers, even though it didn't support A2DP etc. so I reckon that newer models may indeed do almost what you are after.

The only trouble would be getting access to a demo unit to find out for sure.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Turin, Italy
I have a Mercedes with BT integrated. I really would like to play ALL sounds with the car speakers. Unfortunately, just phone calls work. Does somebody know how to play all the music and not just phone calls?

Thanks, I will read up on the CK3000.

Imagine it should be possible to reroute all sound through bluetooth, but it would probably have to be connected as stereo headphones and not only the hands free protocol. Check if your mercedes supports A2DP audio streaming.