Active Topics

Originally Posted by soeiro View Post
I did my research and nowhere it was clear that SIM Card menus were not supported. All the telecom operators where I live place many things on that SIM card menu. Sure, i can still talk on the phone, but without GSM SIM card support is not fully GSM compatible. Or at least, not following a de facto GSM standard.
This is the second item I see people complaining it's missing... and I've never used such a thing.

"SIM Menu"? ... I mean.. sure I've saved contacts to a SIM before... but.. never heard of a "menu?"

So obviously... Nokia is targeting me. If I could only afford the damned thing..
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
well .... idk what your point is ... I expect a computer to compute and a phone to make calls???

And a cellphone to make calls from anywhere in the world and fit in my pocket?

I would have to say the Nokia N900 is at least a phone if not a Cellphone...or dare I call it a smart phone????

come on.!!..what is missing for u without SIM menu?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Any second now we'll get into Exhange provisioning...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
So every hard line phone that is sold in every store in the world should all be sued because they are sold as "phones" without even a SIM card to access a SIM menu?
Every GSM phone that is sold where I live does have access to the SIM card menu. That is a given thing, maybe wrongly taken for granted.

The problem, really, is more about having no support, no perspective of support and nothing official from Nokia about it. On top of everything, seeing only the growing of the marketing campaign, still pithcing it as a GSM compatible phone. They could at least place a disclaimer, explaining that SIm card applications were not supported.

as long as u can make phone calls with it, its a phone.... u can copy contacts from the sim card but technology is far more ahead to use sim card to store contacts or messages...

btw i do agree the phone bit, among lots of other features,, is crap.. total crap

The Following User Says Thank You to UNderworld For This Useful Post:
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
I agree though that it is an important feature in a phone. I guess nobody realized it was missing at the time you bought your n900. But at least now future N900 buyers can come across this thread and not make the same mistake you did. And hopefully ill come out in the next update (March i think)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waleed786 For This Useful Post:
Every GSM phone that is sold where I live does have access to the SIM card menu
what menu??!

Originally Posted by Mazi View Post
come on.!!..what is missing for u without SIM menu?
Telecom services management; managing credits for voice, data plans SMS; banking (a lot of banks require you to access from the SIM card menu); purchasing or changing plans; filing support and services request; purchasing additional connectivity options; changing network configurations; consulting network options and other stuff like that.

The Following User Says Thank You to soeiro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
as long as u can make phone calls with it, its a phone.... u can copy contacts from the sim card but technology is far more ahead to use sim card to store contacts or messages...

btw i do agree the phone bit, among lots of other features,, is crap.. total crap
not to get off topic but how is technology far more ahead to use SIM cards to store contacts? Easily switch phones without having to re-enter contacts, what other technology do we have that does that? Saving it to the memory card does not always work because not all phone use the same format of contacts or even the memory card. Sending contacts over Bluetooth would take forever. SIM contacts on a phone is something that is universally available and I dont think there is any technology that came do the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to waleed786 For This Useful Post:

Tags
fixed in meego 13, it's not a phone, semantic wars, wait-- it's a phone???