Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
mrebanza,
most of the time more difficult than using visual studio.

you will have to look at thunderbird site and try reading the developer guidelines there first to see what they suggest.
if you can strip it down to its bare essentials it could be very workable.

best of luck, keep us posted and send us a mail when its done
Never used Visual Studio - I write web apps mostly CSS and XHTML for design and PHP for the rest . . . . I know firefox THEMES on the desktop are CSS based by I am not too sure about Thunderbird . . . .

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
*hang on, just zoomed on pic, its already on 8x0? wheres the code hanging out i wonder it should be more straight forward than i thought.
I know it is freaking running on the N810 all we would have to do is make the buttons a little bigger!!!!

Cant find the source for it though

The Following User Says Thank You to mrebanza For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by IWantToMarryTheN900 View Post
Maybe I'm lucky - I don't know - but I use Gmail through Nokia Messaging and my emails are instantly pushed to my n900.

It works WAY faster than setting up gmail itself in Modest.

Modest's biggest problem, to me, is not being able to search my emails. Aside from that, it works really well for me. It's way faster than my Blackberry Curve's email client ever was.

What do you mean through "Nokia Messaging" ?

You mean G-Talk in the conversations APP???

Originally Posted by bret hart View Post
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Email_Opt...0_Email_Client

IMAP Idle for Push Email

Many modern mail servers support the IMAP Idle feature, which allows your email client to monitor an inbox. Sadly Modest on the N900 has this feature disabled for power reasons.

Can this be changed somehow?
Why the f%&K is it not catching the mail though????

This is so crazy!?!?!?!

If their was a better phone on the market .... I swear I would return the N900.... but what am I going to buy after THIS????

Even the Nexus One is going to seem very lame after this

The email program (Modest) is fine for me with Gmail. Like many others, I decided to pay $25 for a year's subscription with Nuevasync in order to get push Gmail with contacts, calendar and tasks (Toodledo not Google) and it's working well.

MfE does not seem to be a major power drain and I have no speed issues, but then I only keep 20-50 messages in the inbox. To find any messages that have been moved out of the inbox I use search in the web browser.

I did try Nokia Messaging in combination with Neuvasync's free service but I wasn't that happy with the configuration options for Nokia Messaging.

The Following User Says Thank You to Davey101 For This Useful Post:
i bet it would be pretty easy to get icedove from etch compiled for n900. User jebbacompiled eveythinng that would automatically from deb source packages for this target. Looking at build log for icedove, it looked like it was just missing depends gnome2-dev

maybe beg jebba

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post
What do you mean through "Nokia Messaging" ?

You mean G-Talk in the conversations APP???
http://email.nokia.com/account/home.action
nokia messaging is a service from nokia which in most countries is free if you use a dataplan. for me it works very well. i get my gmail pushed

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Ogre city@Latvia
I am testing claws-mail now. Seems to be ok

I got sylpheed to compile and run. It's unusable though.. everything goes off the screen, some prompt boxes don't have an OK box.

I was able to configure my gmail.. but as soon as it prompted me for a password I couldn't continue because pressing enter didn't input it.. and clicking outside of it just made it prompt for password again.

SOOO.. sylpheed without serious UI work is out.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

I just found this thread because I can't rely on the built in N900 e-mail client and I am looking for an alternative. The IMAP support and a few other missing settings are a major show stopper, very disappointing.

So has anyone on this thread tried to compile Thunderbird yet? What happened?
What about mutt, I have not use a cmd e-mail client in years but I will switch back if that what it takes to get something decent.

Originally Posted by skylinux View Post
I just found this thread because I can't rely on the built in N900 e-mail client and I am looking for an alternative. The IMAP support and a few other missing settings are a major show stopper, very disappointing.

So has anyone on this thread tried to compile Thunderbird yet? What happened?
What about mutt, I have not use a cmd e-mail client in years but I will switch back if that what it takes to get something decent.
Have you tried Claws in extras devel yet?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Tags
porting outlook express