Active Topics

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
The UMTS plan is pretty good. 9€ a day for 50Mb-soon-to-be-100Mb a day is a pretty damn good plan.
9€ a month

If ever it was covered my area... When in roaming it's a pain in the a##!

Where are you from?

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
jpj that was a very interesting post that shows the usefulness of the N800 in the real world (it is not just a "geek toy"). Keep us posted and most of all get well soon .

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
Originally Posted by aleksandyr View Post
Best wishes! While my local (Newton-Wellesley, to be precise) hospital lacks wifi, it was still insanely useful to keep in touch with the family and send out e-mails when I last went in.
Hi aleksandyr - small world, isn't it? How long ago were you at NWH? That's where my current odyssey started, and I connected up loud and clear right from the ER on up. Lost signal in the elevators (you know that sound ;-) but coverage seemed pervasive all over the main complex.

Based on their association with MGH in the Partners health system, and the fact that both sites broadcast the same SSID (phspiaguest), I'm guessing the same contractor wired up both facilities.

[saving a slot]

Thanks, everyone, for your well wishes. This facility is full of medical superstars and it seems I'm going to need them. Tentative diagnosis looks like cholangiocarcinoma, possibly atop a previously asymptomatic primary sclerosing cholangitis (Walter Peyton's disease). Because the former is impinging on the latter at multiple sites, the endoscopy masters were unable to install a bypass, so we're now draining bile through an external catheter.

With the blockage relieved, I expect to be headed home this weekend. In theory, we're looking to regain enough liver function to undergo a resection next Friday, which removes most of the organ (hopefully, including the cancer). The remainder of my liver would then regenerate over the next six months or so, if all goes according to plan.

I must admit, I'm not a prayerful type, but that could change . . . and if any of you are so inclined, I wouldn't object. In the meanwhile, take care, and maybe pause a moment to reflect on what's truly important in your life, knowing it can all change in an instant. With luck, I'll stay in touch.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
Originally Posted by UberSpod View Post
All I can say is get well soon.
I'll second that!

Nice to see that our gadgetry works out in cases like this
Although now and then tensions seem to rise a bit high on this forum, we all have many things in common.

From The Netherlands I wish you all the best.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I was in hospital for a week in september last year to have my head cut off (and put back on, as it turned out later. Pfhew! talk about luck, eh?). I decided to bring my 770 (there wasn't any N800 at the time), loaded with several movies, music and e-books on two 1 GB cards.

I absolutely had a great time with it... well, ignoring for a moment the excruciating pain after the surgery, that is , and even managed to steal -- er, "borrow"! -- some online time from an open network in the vicinity to check my emails (the hospital didn't even have a wireless network, open or closed).

The summum was a group watching of a few old "U.F.O." episodes on the tiny screen, with a contraband sixpack that could have earned someone (who shall remain nameless) a spot on Enema Row. The hospital administration must have a way of finding out nerdiness and put us all in one room together. Probably for insurance reasons...

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
lol@finding out nerdiness

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
Thanks again to everyone, and especially Karel for the laughs (not out loud if you don't mind, it hurts too much ;-)

I'm still hospitalized, had a dye-enhanced CT scan this morning to image the blood vessels in my liver and figure out how they can get my bilitubin down faster than it has to date. I'm draining well but the numbers are not going right yet. Pain is a lot more manageable and I have a lot of confidence in the medical geniuses (genii?) here. Probably some adjustments to Friday's plumbing job and if they show results I'll be home for at least a few days before the main surgery. Stay tuned, and play nicely - I'll be back.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by jpj View Post
[...] I have a lot of confidence in the medical geniuses (genii?) [...]
That'd be "dufii".

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Nice write-up jpj!

I related my similar experience while in for kidney stone surgery, where my N800 connected to wifi better than my laptop. More recently, during my trip to Finland I developed leg pain and swelling and had to go to emergency care, and was glad to have my N800 with me to google as different diagnoses were discussed (it may be gout).

Anyway, hope all goes well for you!

thanks for this post! my daughter had out patient surgery today. thanks to this post I remembered to take the N800 with me. It made the 2 hour wait go much faster