Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
As far as I'm concerned this is great news. It means that our developer base has been expanded, as well as the hardware base. It's hard to fathom a situation where we don't see new versions of the OS pushed onto the n900.

For all the bitter comments I posted here, I would like to add that I like the N900 very much. I like the look and feel of the UI, even if there may be room for improvement here and there (therefore I am a little sceptical about the switch to Qt, since the demos I have seen are not that encouraging from the aesthetic point of view, however as long as they stay with the UI design, I don't care what toolkit is used).
I accept that initially the software is missing features, but I expect Nokia to remedy this in future updates (for the N900, to be sure!), even if not all promises can be held.
Otherwise I would have to assume that Nokia is treating its customers like idiots.

Last edited by gemi; 2010-02-15 at 19:01.

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Exactly. In the 10 years I've used linux I've run rpm-based distros almost all the time with great success.
How many of them were ARM based? none?
That's because Debian based distirbutions like Maemo or Ubuntu have
full ARM ports but Fedora based ones do not.
see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44597

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
this announcement as no impact on nokias software services at all, if anything it could help make them better
Thanks. I needed a good laugh this morning.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by pagesix1536 View Post
What is up with these companies and stupid product names? Pixi, Pre, Wii, iPad...?
They want names whose URL is available and which haven't been trademarked yet. (The second doesn't apply to Apple. )

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Thanks. I needed a good laugh this morning.
you really think it affects the paid store or maps or nokia messaging?
answer is no they would exist with or without Meego.
Any way thought you had left oh thats correct you only show up these days to whine or make fun

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
They want names whose URL is available and which haven't been trademarked yet. (The second doesn't apply to Apple. )
Here's the funny part.

I was playing around a few weeks ago with the idea for a new kind of meeting website. I scribbled out a lot of ideas and tested them on Whois. One in particular sounded really good (although juvenile) and I checked it: the .com was taken, but not the .net. I was really, really close to registering that.

Guess the name.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Any way thought you had left oh thats correct you only show up these days to whine or make fun
Ah but it's good to see that you are still here to keep it a friendly place
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Bologna (Italy)
I try, I swear, but I just can not be happy about this news.

I am really shocked and sad.
External keyboard: Nokia SU-8W

My NIT experience: Since 5/2008

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to monoceros For This Useful Post:
Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
Um, what? It's a packaging format change - what are you talking about?
AFAIK the current system is Debian-based. This means that it uses the Debian's system (packaging) and all the split packages. For example, KDE is split into a number of packages for Debian. This also happens for a number of programs and libraries Maemo uses. Switching to RPM doesn't mean only that the system will be repacked with RPM. It also means that another distribution will be used, meaning (among other things) that libraries will not be split (the same way) and that not all configuration files will go into /etc.

Take for example /etc/network/interfaces. This is debian specific and most probably will be different (or don't exist) in Meego.

In other words: Debian goodies (except from packaging) will be gone.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to v13 For This Useful Post:

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war