Active Topics

Notices

Uh Gmail? No thanks. I don't understand what the problem is. The N900's email client works well enough for my needs. Using Lavabit (IMAP).

Originally Posted by acou View Post
...I don't understand what the problem is. The N900's email client works well enough for my needs....
Yes the client works for very basic email handling, anything more then that and even Outlook Express looks like a feature loaded super app.

So if you just do basic send and reply then you will probably never run into a problem but if your job requires you to travel a lot, use IMAP and share e-mails (start writing on one device, finish on another), specific per account settings and so on...
Some call it advanced use of e-mail but for me it is everyday business use.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skylinux For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Have you tried Claws in extras devel yet?
No I have not. Is it considered stable? I have no desire to have my mailbox wiped out by some bug.
That is why I really like the post where someone posted a picture of Thunderbird running on an older model.

I'll mess with this over the weekend and see if I can get either Thunderbird or mutt to work.

Originally Posted by skylinux View Post
No I have not. Is it considered stable? I have no desire to have my mailbox wiped out by some bug.
That is why I really like the post where someone posted a picture of Thunderbird running on an older model.

I'll mess with this over the weekend and see if I can get either Thunderbird or mutt to work.
How is building a completely different mail client.. and "testing" that on your N900.. any different than loading what someone has already built - and is being used by several people already testing it?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

maybe some of the qt people on here can get this up fairly easily

http://jkt.flaska.net/blog/

it is a pretty simple imap client written in qt/c++, git tree is available

Some highlights of Trojitá are:

* A pure Qt4 application with no additional dependencies
* Robust IMAP core implemented using Qt's Model-View framework
* Standards compliance is a design goal
* Support for bandwidth-saving mode aimed at mobile users with expensive connection
* IMAP over SSH -- instead of going over an SSL socket, the server could be accessed via SSH
* On-demand body part loading
* Offline IMAP support (you can access data you already have; there's no complete "offline mail access" yet, though)
* Safe dealing with HTML mail (actually more robust than Thunderbird's)

I compiled it and it ran in scratchbox, but layout and gui were all messed up, but the qt did take on maemo style automatically which was cool.

might be a good start for a community imap client dedicated to maemo/meego.mer whatever

Last edited by quipper8; 2010-02-23 at 15:25.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
I compiled it and it ran in scratchbox, but layout and gui were all messed up, but the qt did take on maemo style automatically which was cool.
I had a similar experience with Sylpheed. Just not touch-screen and 800x400 optimized.

That's why Claws-mail is the better option.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
How is building a completely different mail client.. and "testing" that on your N900.. any different than loading what someone has already built - and is being used by several people already testing it?
Because the underlying code is know to behave properly on Thunderbid and I know that Thunderbird can handle IMAP properly.

EDIT: Ok now we get a lot more "suggestions" of other email clients in. This is great but does not really help. I am not going to trust "some app" which was written by "some" guy with full access to my IMAP dir.
This is why mutt and Thunderbird sound attractive, they can be trusted (to a reasonable extend)

Last edited by skylinux; 2010-02-23 at 15:29.

Originally Posted by skylinux View Post
Because the underlying code is know to behave properly on Thunderbid and I know that Thunderbird can handle IMAP properly.

EDIT: Ok now we get a lot more "suggestions" of other email clients in. This is great but does not really help. I am not going to trust "some app" which was written by "some" guy with full access to my IMAP dir.
This is why mutt and Thunderbird sound attractive, they can be trusted (to a reasonable extend)
If you're talking about General Usage I'm quite sure Claws Mail is very widely used. I've heard about it from several different distributions forums on the desktop. It's more lightweight than thunderbird.. some people just don't need everything that comes with thunderbird but still need more features than the other lightweight clients.

Sylpheed and Claws are the more common that I've personally heard. Claws is modular so that people can compile and use plugins just for what they need.. instead of getting everything+kitchen sink for something specific they want.

I don't think any of the modules except the PGP one are compiled yet for Maemo though.. so just Claws with PGP support is possible.

Anyway.. I'm not here to champion any one mail program.. if you don't like it you don't like it .. fair enough. Good luck on Thunderbird.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Hi
For all of you who don't mind using the stylus, i might have a solution.
Install easy debian from the "extras"-repo.
Then start LXDE, activate the package manager and install claws-mail from there. This way, you have a stable version and all plugins available, which allowa you to store your mails on the device.
Before you download your mails for the first time, don't forget to disable the option to automatically delete the mails on the server, which is automatically activated in claws.
the window with your mails listed is big enough to read, but to read a specific mail, you have to mark it with the stylus until the rightmousebutton-menu pops up and then select "open in new window".
The only thing i have to figure out now is how to place a direct link to claws in the maemo-menu

Cheers!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dack001 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post
I write web apps mostly CSS and XHTML for design and PHP for the rest . . . . I know firefox THEMES on the desktop are CSS based by I am not too sure about Thunderbird . . . .
If you're familiar with those technologies, picking up the XUL user interfaces language is definitely in scope. The UI for Firefox, Thunderbird, and SeaMonkey is all XUL.

Before you start serious work though, ask about a TB skin designed for low resolution. Someone has surely worked on this for the netbook space, and it would probably be a better start than the standard skin.
http://www.eff.org.

Tags
porting outlook express