Active Topics

Notices

Ok Flandry, I've tried it out. I tested Outrun on SDLMAME, and all I can say is - wow. Simply superb, Fland. At the moment I can't tell if it's just due to the low framerate, but I have to say, the sophistication of steering is unparalleled - I feel like I've never had better control of the steering in Outrun! And can I tell you how I felt when I realized that acceleration/deceleration were controlled by tipping forward and back - I almost wet myself! Really, really responsive in this game in MAME.

(If you would only allow disabling of sound in SDLMAME, we might be able to get some faster framerates and have a REAL test! 8^)

In other games, though, there was no control at all - like 1944, for example, a solid shooter, I was very much looking forward to moving about the screen with accelerometer, and just firing with a button - but no control over direction at all. Why?

(One other off-topic point while I've got your attention - any chance of touchscreen buttons in SDMAME, like VGBA has? I've finally gotten used to it and it adds huge amounts to playability and enjoyability. I'd love to see it in SDLMAME as well.)

Thanks for the accelometer app, though - I'm looking forward to putting it to use in creative, unorthodox ways.

The Following User Says Thank You to oldpmaguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
i tried outrun, and OMG its unplayable!!

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by oldpmaguy View Post
(If you would only allow disabling of sound in SDLMAME, we might be able to get some faster framerates and have a REAL test! 8^)
I already responded to that request in the SDLMAME thread. Basically, the processor that handles the sound was often used for other important tasks (like a coin counter), so it is always emulated in SDLMAME. Disabling it in a meaningful way would have to be a ROM-by-ROM basis, and i don't know off the top of my head how it would best be done.

In other games, though, there was no control at all - like 1944, for example, a solid shooter, I was very much looking forward to moving about the screen with accelerometer, and just firing with a button - but no control over direction at all. Why?
In Ikari Warriors (my favorite arcade game, and never properly cloned due to the extra rotate-control in the joystick), the joystick behavior in SDLMAME does a weird combination of move a direction/rotate character. Basically, this is a mapping problem where the default mapping for "joystick 0" is not what you'd like it to be.

I suspect there's a way to change that within the gui, or at least in a config file.

(One other off-topic point while I've got your attention - any chance of touchscreen buttons in SDMAME, like VGBA has? I've finally gotten used to it and it adds huge amounts to playability and enjoyability. I'd love to see it in SDLMAME as well.)

Thanks for the accelometer app, though - I'm looking forward to putting it to use in creative, unorthodox ways.
Thanks for testing it out.

I'd love to add on-screen buttons and all kinds of nifty features to the apps i maintain (plus i have a half-dozen cool projects i haven't even had time to start). I believe the next in the queue to work on is Gweled, then SDLMAME, then UQM, then PrBoom. Meanwhile i have two other non-game projects and a accelemymote.

However, i also have the minor task of finishing the Ph.D. and finding a job...

sigh.

All i can tell you is... patience.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
i tried outrun, and OMG its unplayable!!
You, Sir, are no Outrun fan!

I tried afterburner 1 and 2 and they ran fine apart from game speed,also tehkan world cup that worked ok but it had a bug where the football would suddenly just go off screen(only does this when using accelemymote), marble madness worked perfect and my last test was outrun and again worked great apart from game speed.

oh just tested space harrier works fine.

edit

i've lost my manners... great work Flandry by the way...

Last edited by Bazza; 2010-03-06 at 22:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bazza For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
In Ikari Warriors (my favorite arcade game, and never properly cloned due to the extra rotate-control in the joystick), the joystick behavior in SDLMAME does a weird combination of move a direction/rotate character. Basically, this is a mapping problem where the default mapping for "joystick 0" is not what you'd like it to be.

I suspect there's a way to change that within the gui, or at least in a config file.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here, other than Ikari Warriors having a nonstandard joystick, which I'm familiar with.

What I meant was, shouldn't scrolling shooters be able to be controlled by accelerometer? Since they're just 8-way joysticks, right? I'm not talking about anything as fancy as an Ikari controller. Just something straightfoward like UN Squadron, a personal favorite.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
You, Sir, are no Outrun fan!
never heard of it b4, but i mean its too slow to play

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here, other than Ikari Warriors having a nonstandard joystick, which I'm familiar with.

What I meant was, shouldn't scrolling shooters be able to be controlled by accelerometer? Since they're just 8-way joysticks, right? I'm not talking about anything as fancy as an Ikari controller. Just something straightfoward like UN Squadron, a personal favorite.
Vertical or horizontal shooters are so difficult to use properly with motion control.
It is a good way to test motion control but hey you must admit it 3D shooters,driving games and marble madness would certainly benefit from motion control better than 2d shooters.

Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
never heard of it b4
That was painfully obvious. I bet you didn't try and play past the checkered flag, huh? It gets to rolling along quite smoothly for the patient among us.

Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
Vertical or horizontal shooters are so difficult to use properly with motion control.
It is a good way to test motion control but hey you must admit it 3D shooters,driving games and marble madness would certainly benefit from motion control better than 2d shooters.
I'm not saying yea or nay, I'm just wondering why it won't work for those games. I'd certainly be willing to try, and judge for myself - unless it's an issue of it not working for them at all. That's why I asked my Q.

Tags
accelerometer, analog input, game controls, joystick, menu selection, mouse please, tilt