Banned | Posts: 25 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2010
I am on the fence about buying this device because of many comments regarding inability of many to access their corporate email where provisioning is required. Will this issue be fixed with next update? I know that n900 has many other useful features, but good email syn with exchange 2007 is a must. Somebody provided a N900 user manual in one of the threads where no mention of provisioning is made.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
The feature request is still open (and with not a lot of votes), so I doubt it.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
If email is what is important, then stay well away from it. Even a the most basic S60 device beats it for emailing. Its a shame considering the wonderful qwerty.

Originally Posted by bret hart View Post
If email is what is important, then stay well away from it. Even a the most basic S60 device beats it for emailing. Its a shame considering the wonderful qwerty.
Very important. I use E71 and love it

Don't understand the problem. I set up my email in 2 minutes with pop and smtp. It works great and is perfectly integrated with the address book. I am always online, have a flat, no sense having this phone without internet flat anyway.. and get my mails automatically.

Originally Posted by ER444 View Post
Don't understand the problem. I set up my email in 2 minutes with pop and smtp. It works great and is perfectly integrated with the address book. I am always online, have a flat, no sense having this phone without internet flat anyway.. and get my mails automatically.
Some companies require provisioning, they require the device to respond in a certain way. It appears from reviews I read here that N900 is not that smart after all

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
Or it is more controlled by the user as opposed to your employer's IT people, which is just as valid a view.

Any update on this issue? My employer only allows provisioned devices and also blocks imap/pop access. The only way I can get to email is via the web interface, which works but is tedious to say the least. Of course I do like the fact that nobody else can remote-wipe my phone, so what's really needed is either

1. A way to integrate owa web access into the n900 email system
  2. A way to spoof exchange servers into believing the n900 is provisioning enabled, when in fact it is not.

The first is probably the better choice, but the second is perfectly fine with me too - this is open source software after all

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Well, you could run your own IMAP server on the N900 and then use OWA sync to sync your webmail to your personal IMAP server and set up the N900 mail client to use your IMAP server. The only thing is that OWA sync hasn't been updated in over 3 years, so maybe it won't work with newer versions of exchange.