Active Topics

For most of 3rd party applications, I suggest you to contact the authors to contribute your traslation files into their products.
I'm trying to make sure there's no copyrights problem with all files in the n900-extra-translations projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to firstfan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
I agree with that. Either contact the author or maintain a separate localization for them.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
I also think that it is better the localizations to be included in the respective third party package. Of course it would be better if there was a way to auto search and install localization packages for the third party apps from the App Manager, otherwise with the current approach we can and up installing tens of non needed localizations with each new installed package.

BTW, such a functionality is expected to be available in Fedora 13 which in some way is related to Meego - so may be someday ...

I've been thinking of "Recommended packages", as it's working out-of-the-box on Debian, but unfortunately Maemo does not support it (you can set its value when you create the deb package, but HAM won't display it)
This way you could "recommend" the other package when you install the OS localization.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by Z0l View Post
@Venemo: it's not better, it's different. One package is for the underlying OS, the other is for the applications.
Actually, the "Hungarian localization for Maemo 5" package localized both the OS and most (perhaps all?) of the built-in applications for me.

However, I still prefer the English language, because the translations are horrible, inadequate in most places.
I don't know who created that package, but his translation skills are marginal at best...

I haven't tried "N900-i18n-hu_HU" yet.
Is it any better?

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-03-24 at 10:18.

I'm not quite sure who's the author of the other package, but I am behind the N900-i18n-hu_HU. It's far from being perfect, but is continuously improving over time. Also, if you would like to help, my package is based on Transifex, and volunteers are very welcome to improve the quality of the translation. Transifex is a community-based localization project, you can find out more by clicking this link: http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/...ns/c/main/l/hu

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Tata, Hungary
Originally Posted by todor_tsankov View Post
How do you distribute the ovi maps localization? We had a conversation with firstsan about that and I thought that the licensing of the files does not permit us to redistribute them? How did you solved that problem (if it exists :-)
Oh, it wasn't done by me, sorry if i gave the impression it was. I just tried it once, that's why i knew what it contains.

Actually i am not sure how stable this package is, i seem to recall having issue with my n900 when installing it.

N900-i18n-hu_HU is actually quite good, though there are some mis-spells and missing or mistranslated strings.

By the way, please vote this bug:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7256
in order to avoid string names to show up if there is translation missing.

-sc

Last edited by ScarCow; 2010-03-29 at 09:18. Reason: adding some more