Active Topics

No problem here, the new firmware has worked fine, what is killing the card? Wrong voltage or what?

Originally Posted by blackax View Post
No problem here, the new firmware has worked fine, what is killing the card? Wrong voltage or what?
We don't have an official statement from nokia. My SDHC cards were killed while
transferring large files over wlan. Perhaps the N800 itself is defect.
Sending it for repair is a huge risk. Some people with touchscreen issues (for example)
had to wait several weeks until they got a response from nokia
... and we don't know if its really a hardware problem. Perhaps a soon (?)
firmware update will correct this problem.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Its possible ...

Palm have made a bug in the first release of the Tungsten E where the card can be killed. And it s patched with a software update.

Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Its possible ...

Palm have made a bug in the first release of the Tungsten E where the card can be killed. And it s patched with a software update.
Good to know... Thank you for that info!
So we can hope that this is also "just" a software problem.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I just read that some people have some problems with some cards.

There is no proof at all that it is related to the firmware upgrade, just rumours and/or personal beliefs. And even if for some reason the N800 does clutter a filesystem (remember: this is unreliable VFAT), you just reformat and have it working again. The N800 does not physically kill a SD card.
I think N770-Freak has provided you with sufficient proof (not that any were necessary) however even if his situation is just a coincidence (along with the others also with dead cards) there is no harm being cautious until Nokia provide clarification.

N770-Freak - have you attempted to re-partition one of your "dead" cards with sfdisk on the N800 itself, or Ubuntu?

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
N770-Freak - have you attempted to re-partition one of your "dead" cards with sfdisk on the N800 itself, or Ubuntu?
yes... that was the first thing I tried. But the card itself isn't even recognized.
dmesg in N800 just says (short form): cover is closed, setting voltage 3300 mV ... 2800 mV ... 0 mV
and there is no device created in /dev !
No chance to reformat or repartition such a card that doesn't exist in the OS.

Same with ubuntu... cardreader was recognized, sdhc card not.
Like there were no card in the reader. Absolutely dead.

If you or someone else has further ideas how I should test this card, please write down a post. It cannot become more badly

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on May 2007 @ cleveland
the same thing happened to me with 1gb micro sd. the n800 wouldn't even see it! so i stuck it i my wifes e61i, and was able to reformat.. its been fine ever since. (knock on wood)
i havent updated yet, but was planning on it today. should i hold off until further notice?

Originally Posted by jortiz View Post
the same thing happened to me with 1gb micro sd. the n800 wouldn't even see it! so i stuck it i my wifes e61i, and was able to reformat.. its been fine ever since. (knock on wood)
i havent updated yet, but was planning on it today. should i hold off until further notice?
Most people that have problems with sd/sdhc card had this problems already before 4.2007... so I would not say that you should not try an update.
Did your problem with the sd card only appear in one of the two slots of your N800 or
did you have this problem only once?

Originally Posted by N770-Freak View Post
yes... that was the first thing I tried. But the card itself isn't even recognized.
dmesg in N800 just says (short form): cover is closed, setting voltage 3300 mV ... 2800 mV ... 0 mV
and there is no device created in /dev !
No chance to reformat or repartition such a card that doesn't exist in the OS.

Same with ubuntu... cardreader was recognized, sdhc card not.
Like there were no card in the reader. Absolutely dead.

If you or someone else has further ideas how I should test this card, please write down a post. It cannot become more badly
Sadly I don't have any other suggestions, but the above dmesg information would be useful detail in bug #1204 which may provide some clues to Nokia...