Notices

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by oldpmaguy View Post
You can set the button for that in the keybinding options.

What I would like is a way to change the default frameskip. I hate having it begin at skipping 10fps! I personally prefer 2 or even 1, and never play a game over 4.

Flandry, it there a way to change the default setting for frameskiping?
Edit the frameskip setting in ~/.mame/mame.ini. There's a guide to mame.ini settings linked in the first post.

Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
@Flandry

In the main mame folder on the phone there is a 36mb mame file is it a standard exe file?.

The reason i ask is i would like to use an older mame.exe file if at all poss lets say mame 0.121.

Would it work?
> file mame
mame: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.14, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

That is the executable binary, yes. It's not a windows .exe file, no. It's the product of about 30 minutes of my system thrashing the hard drive and RAM compiling the behemoth. You'd have to compile an earlier version if you need it. What's the draw of 0.121?

Edit: Latest update in repo.

mame (0.137u1-0maemo1) unstable; urgency=low

* New upstream version update.
* Built with SDK 1.2 (FWIF).

What's new

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-03-27 at 06:06. Reason: Added link to upstream changelog

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
The thing with 0.121 is that hypersports came with its own run like hell cheat so i just added the 0.121.exe to the latest 0.137 build on the pc and it still worked with the cheat then i added a 0.123.dat cheat for track & field and an up to date cheat.zip for the 0.137 version. and both versions are maxxed up to the eyeballs with cheats.

The old hypersports (and i'm sure i have seen a track & field) run like hell cheat are a much better cheat to use than the new ones they are either just too slow or too fast.

To use these games properly on your phone you need the cheats there is no chance of getting decent speeds with the keyboard or even a wireless joypad.

Thanks for the new release i haven't had time to try it any major improvements?

The Following User Says Thank You to Bazza For This Useful Post:
this has improved a lot since I last tried it, has anybody got a working gti club rom, always used to play that game in the arcades?

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Just updated my romset to 137.1

Is there any way to access the rom folder from the SD card? This and PSX4ALL is taking some serious MP3 space from the internal device memory

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Just updated my romset to 137.1

Is there any way to access the rom folder from the SD card? This and PSX4ALL is taking some serious MP3 space from the internal device memory
Hasn't changed since before this thread was created, but i forgot to put it in the OP. Added:

Directories
Configuration base: /home/user/.mame/
ROM base: /home/user/roms; /home/user/MyDocs/roms; /media/mmc1/roms (i.e. ./roms, ./MyDocs/roms (N900/roms from mass storage), and roms subdir on microSD card)

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Thanks!

Two things:

1. A lot of games seem to play a smoother. I also updated to MAME 137.1 romsets for games that stopped working (about 300 out of 8,000ish, based on 136 to 137 change log). Is the improvement in my mind, or did you work some extra magic?

2. When Galaga 88 plays smoothly, your work is complete!

U Rock!

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-03-29 at 19:18.

Is it possible to play Metal Slug on this emu? Damn, I wish somebody make a port of Neo4All(AES4All)

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Thanks!

Two things:

1. A lot of games seem to play a smoother. I also updated to MAME 137.1 romsets for games that stopped working (about 300 out of 8,000ish, based on 136 to 137 change log). Is the improvement in my mind, or did you work some extra magic?

2. When Galaga 88 plays smoothly, your work is complete!

U Rock!
In the (very brief) fire testing i did, i also noticed some improvement.

I think it was the change to C++, as strange as that sounds. Along with the merge of SDLMAME into MAME, the project moved from the C to the C++ compiler. Now many people would argue that C++ is slower than C due to extra abstraction/lookups e.g. virtual functions etc. but when considering that MAME was doing C++-like things in C, and reached a point where there was no longer a sane way of doing those things in C, it makes more sense that switching to C++ proper brought with it some improvements in efficiency.

What this all means is...I gotta stop posting when in thesis writing mode.

Originally Posted by bartekxyz View Post
Is it possible to play Metal Slug on this emu? Damn, I wish somebody make a port of Neo4All(AES4All)
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Slug_%28series%29 it was a Neogeo arcade series so it does exist as a possible ROM for MAME, but i can't answer as to how well it runs. It's from the mid 90s so no promises.

Originally Posted by bartekxyz View Post
Metal Slug plays very nicely. Be sure to put the neogeo.zip bios rom in with your roms, though, or it won't load.

I updated the wiki a bit to reflect the rom directory options and status.

I appreciate the work that has been done to document the good/bad/ugly ROMs. Now that other emulators are available, and interest has shifted to the consoles, it would be good to know which ROMs that currently don't work well in MAME are actually desirable (as in, unique or best-of-kind options compared to console or native game options).

I noticed some mention of rotation/portrait. As has been seen in a previous update, portrait mode via rotation is an option available in the settings (right volume button->Video Options->Rotate) but makes the default control scheme confusing at best. The way to get these games playable is to figure out the best way to handle controls for them, possibly make a controller file (for you mame veterans), and share it. I will be adding an option to rotate joystick events to accelemymote next update so the accelerometer can be used for that purpose.

I have been poking at the GLES issue but the magnitude of the code in MAME is daunting, and i think i need some GLES development experience on the side before i will know what to do to add GLES support to MAME in a generic and sustainable way. Finally, with all the emulators now online, i'm not sure the interest is here to justify the work on a diminishing return, time that could better be spent on original development or porting actual games. This is where the feedback requested above would be handy: what nice games that should run on MAME (i said to expect pre-1990 ROMs that work well in desktop MAME) and can't really be found elsewhere are not currently playable?

Edit: Okay, galaga88 from the above post. There's one anyway.

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-04-02 at 15:16.

Tags
arcade, emulator, game, maemo 5, mame, wip