Notices

@jaeezzy;
from monitoring lshal, here's what a connect and disconnect looks like -

08:06:04.813: computer_logicaldev_input_1 added
08:06:23.737: computer_logicaldev_input_1 removed

and there is no change in the headphone/state file - it's always disconnected, so assume that's for the wired headset only.

I ran a diff of lshal and the only bits that change when connected and disconnected is this line;

udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_logicaldev_input_1'
udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_logicaldev_input_0'

First is connected, second is disconnected - so a simple sanity check for input_1 would suffice for NOT enabling the loudspeaker when the keyboard is slid open.

Last edited by hawaii; 2010-03-26 at 12:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ planet earth i guess
hi

no - one type only - bh-208

ciao

Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
do I get to choose??

+1 for a configurable delay on switching. For me a second or so would probably suffice.

+1 for recognizing the usage of bluetooth headset as well.

Good job and good suggestions.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by MaltedVomit View Post
when i first installed the default proximity setting had me having to smush the phone against my face for the speakers to turn off. i then set it to the higher setting and it made it so i could hold the phone comfortably to my ear to get the speakers to turn off. this seemed to work better for me.
I didn't want to say anything, but setting did something for me too, I ended up setting at some 20 or so. Maybe I'm just wrong.

Also, I hope one means 500 ms delay in popping speaker, not 50.

And finally, I think that popping keys shouldn't exclude proximity - if keyboard is open, I want speaker to work regardless, when closed, proximity. Keyboard should override sensor, not replace it, IMO.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Pretty hard to use the keyboard when it's stuck to your cheek, though (even if you do manage to pop it) so proximity alone would still give the desired result?

EDIT - unless you accidently cover the proximity sensor when using the keyboard I suppose :-)

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
That's the one, with the finger over the sensor. Happens by mistake, happens in car, etc. Popping the kbd ensures it doesn't blink on and off as I drive.

Also, the sensor isn't idiotproof. E.g., gets crazy from direct sunlight. Or rotating the phone with steering wheel. Or hair, if one has long hair and hols phone not at ear but not on table either, which is common in high-noise environment and if you are a girlfriend of a N900 owner

Also, my said gf also has small ears, and refuses to smoosh the phone against the face until red (which I do because I am willing to suffer for hi-tech stuff), so it goes speaker-phone-speaker as the hair moves by or she moves.

I vote for kbd override.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
i like this project just the way it is pretty much, except when i use it in my car. my garmin gps and the n900 automatically connect when i get in the car, and the gps will answer a phone call automatically, but it seems as soon as the phone answers it switches the blue tooth feed to the n900 speakers and microphone. i can also dial a call from the garmin but as soon as the phone starts ringing it drops the garmin connection.

if the program would recognize the blue tooth connection as a top priority and not start the phone speakers i would be pretty happy. (of course holding the phone up to my head turns on the garmin again. so much for hands free.)

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Originally Posted by jdr93 View Post
i like this project just the way it is pretty much, except when i use it in my car. my garmin gps and the n900 automatically connect when i get in the car, and the gps will answer a phone call automatically, but it seems as soon as the phone answers it switches the blue tooth feed to the n900 speakers and microphone. i can also dial a call from the garmin but as soon as the phone starts ringing it drops the garmin connection.

if the program would recognize the blue tooth connection as a top priority and not start the phone speakers i would be pretty happy. (of course holding the phone up to my head turns on the garmin again. so much for hands free.)
I've just bought bluetooth headset from ebay to implement and test just that coz no hardware stores near the place I live have like one I'm looking for and plus added some more extra functions from the suggestions in previous posts so until the next release I'd suggest bluetooth users to disable by unchecking everything in settings or uninstall it completely.

Does this conflict with shortcutd for anyone? Seems it doesn't work reliable when I use proximity sensor in this app.

Edit: hmm shortcutd works randomly.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-03-31 at 02:29.

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Does this conflict with shortcutd for anyone? Seems it doesn't work reliable when I use proximity sensor in this app.

Edit: hmm shortcutd works randomly.
What made you think proximity isn't working reliably? Plz mention the problem.