Notices

Maybe the application manager isn't using the proxy settings? I haven't tried proxy on the N900 (no privoxy package afaict.. which is what I used with the older tablet) so I don't know.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Maybe the application manager isn't using the proxy settings? I haven't tried proxy on the N900 (no privoxy package afaict.. which is what I used with the older tablet) so I don't know.

Ok, well I have not much understanding of what is going on, but I can say that the tmobile connection settings don't have a proxy set. I don't understand proxies well, I'm afraid -- I understand the basic principles, but something hasn't clicked in my brain.

It tells me that server_port = 9050 in tor-tsocks.conf (in the /etc/tor directory on my N900), so I guess that means I am using a proxy.

I'm not using privoxy; what appeals to me in using this tor package is that I don't need privoxy.

So maybe you are right and maybe the app mgr isn't following the proxy? I don't know what to do about this.

This whole issue is of limited importance to me, because usually I am at home and can just use my wireless instead of tmobile for web access anyway. But it's a learning opportunity.

I mentioned that Feedingit doesn't work for me when I use Tor and tmobile, but I have since discovered that the default rss program does work for me. But I also found that Feed Circuit doesn't work, so two out of three rss packages don't work for me. Interesting clue.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I don't seem able to download anything from within app mgr or using apt-get install. I can't download any feeds using feedingit. I can't download any books.
So I guess apt and FeedingIt don't use the proxy settings in GConf. Apt should have a configuration variable (Acquire::http::Proxy), also apt-get can be called with the http_proxy environment variable set instead. I'm not sure how to automatically set this from tor-status though, in such a way that the app manager will use it...

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I'm not using privoxy; what appeals to me in using this tor package is that I don't need privoxy.
Actually, there is polipo now, as the tor daemon itself only provides a SOCKS proxy.

I mentioned that Feedingit doesn't work for me when I use Tor and tmobile, but I have since discovered that the default rss program does work for me. But I also found that Feed Circuit doesn't work, so two out of three rss packages don't work for me. Interesting clue.
Maybe you could check with Slocan and shashurup whether their programs use the proxy settings.

The Following User Says Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by pH5 View Post
Maybe you could check with Slocan and shashurup whether their programs use the proxy settings.
Yes! After I posted on the Feedingit thread, the developer responded. It has been fixed for this proxy and works fine on my first test!

This never seems to finish "Connecting..." for me. Log file from the applet menu doesn't show anything useful really.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
This never seems to finish "Connecting..." for me. Log file from the applet menu doesn't show anything useful really.
ph5: I've uninstalled and reinstalled 2-3 times and added bridges after via the applet and not the conf file. still getting the "bootsrap" thing where it will say connecting for about 5 minutes and in the end it gives off that message (see my post several posts up). is this phone related or ISP related or what? (I'm in China and theyre getting more and more anal about blocking stuff)

Question: Anyway to make it use a US IP address so I may watch Hulu from outsid US, thanks.

Forgive if this has been answered already, starting typing without reading other post before mine...

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
You could try running Tor with more verbose logging from the command line to see why it won't connect.
Code:
/usr/sbin/tor --Log "info stdout" --SafeLogging 1
Originally Posted by HRZ View Post
ph5: I've uninstalled and reinstalled 2-3 times and added bridges after via the applet and not the conf file. still getting the "bootsrap" thing where it will say connecting for about 5 minutes and in the end it gives off that message (see my post several posts up). is this phone related or ISP related or what? (I'm in China and theyre getting more and more anal about blocking stuff)
I don't know. You could also try running from the commandline with "info" (or even "debug") loglevel. As long as Tor itself doesn't present us with a nice error message, I don't know how to make the status area applet more friendly in the failure case.

Originally Posted by rdwrig0ceo View Post
Question: Anyway to make it use a US IP address so I may watch Hulu from outsid US, thanks.
I think you'd be better off finding a proxy in the US. The Tor network is not well suited for high bandwidth applications, see the FAQ.

I'm dissecting the logs now. It makes connections and pull relays just fine, seems to die out on /tor/server/<HUGEHASH> and makes more attempts later.

Previous version seemed to work fine. I'll pop over to an older package and see what's changed.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Thank you for creating this application. Very impressed.

What would be the best way of configuring Tor to use a specific country as an exit node?

(I looked through this thread and other sources for an answer, but could not find one)

Keep up the good work!

Tags
"tor story"