Active Topics

Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Did you also find the bit where it seems that the effects on battery life might not be any different

Stepped up to 900MHz-500MHz DSP all the way fine so far.... I need to compare it to my mates N900 tomorrow which has stock settings, flash seems better but still chokes on high movement scenes....

Originally Posted by Faz View Post
Are we sure this is related to the kernel flash?
I flashed it to the 900 Mhz and my Settings, About product reads:

Nokia N900
Maemo 5
Version: 3.2010.02-8.203.1
Anybody have the same result?
How come some still retains the firmware information?

I also read that after overclicking, the phone was not able to be detected by NSU!?
If it's true, then we will not be able to use NSU to update when PR1.2 is available.

What about PC Suite? Is the PC Suite able to indentify the overclocked N900?

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ saint petersburg, fl
Could you combine the 1ghz processor (or whatever you clock yours at) and 500mhz dsp to calculate something like this instead of using opengles for games?

http://unlimiteddetailtechnology.com/home.html

edit: was thinking that maybe something like this would mean we would not have to push our processors to the max just to get fluid gameplay on older games.

Not sure if this is possible:

Maybe in future someone can make some widget or like the screen brightness applet, where we can adjust the clock frequency during runtime? Thus, when we need the extra power, we just switch to higher clock?
The idea is similar to PSP CFW, where we can adjust the clock during runtime.

If it is possible, that would be great.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy214 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Andy214 View Post
Not sure if this is possible:

Maybe in future someone can make some widget or like the screen brightness applet, where we can adjust the clock frequency during runtime? Thus, when we need the extra power, we just switch to higher clock?
The idea is similar to PSP CFW, where we can adjust the clock during runtime.

If it is possible, that would be great.
that would be awseemmmmmmmm

also include a heat meter and auto shutdown

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
How can I flash one of these kernels on the device without using the usb/PC method? I do not seem to have fiasco-flasher on my device anywhere, only 'fiasco-image-update' and 'fiasco-do-update'

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
How can I flash one of these kernels on the device without using the usb/PC method? I do not seem to have fiasco-flasher on my device anywhere, only 'fiasco-image-update' and 'fiasco-do-update'
The instruction is earlier in the thread (around the early 60's range) for one example. Need to type "sudo gainroot", first and then Xterm should report that you have root shell access. You can then type the commands. I used GPE file manager to copy paste the stock, 800 and 900mhz kernels into the /home/user/ directory (just in case).

The key is to make sure you have a PC in case you have a problem and need to reflash the "stock" kernel. In that case, you would need a computer to flash (XP or Vista 32 bit OS).

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by Andy214 View Post
Anybody have the same result?
How come some still retains the firmware information?

I also read that after overclicking, the phone was not able to be detected by NSU!?
If it's true, then we will not be able to use NSU to update when PR1.2 is available.

What about PC Suite? Is the PC Suite able to indentify the overclocked N900?
well i do... first i did the emmc image.. then i did the image befor PR 1.1.(back to back) then the 900 kernel image....
then i updated with App manager (sorry not PC Suite)

Last edited by humble; 2010-04-05 at 03:17. Reason: not 51

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
The instruction is earlier in the thread (around the early 60's range) for one example. Need to type "sudo gainroot", first and then Xterm should report that you have root shell access. You can then type the commands. I used GPE file manager to copy paste the stock, 800 and 900mhz kernels into the /home/user/ directory (just in case).

The key is to make sure you have a PC in case you have a problem and need to reflash the "stock" kernel. In that case, you would need a computer to flash (XP or Vista 32 bit OS).
I am logged in as root, and that executable does not exist anywhere on my device.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
just overclocked to 800mhz. switching desktops that are full of shortcuts + widgets is so much smoother. It seems like the n900 was designed to have 800mhz anyway xD. Um, one thing though,

I haven't been able to connect to 2g since I flashed. >.>

anyone else having this issue?

The tower might have 'gone down' while I was flashing in but this seems pretty damn unlikely. Just rebooted it and no change. Thoughts?

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom