Notices

Just DL this, and well... TY! Works great, even on att 2.5,if i can get it to work with the FM transmit we will be in buisness. My only question is what is the button on the right with the "-" for?

The Following User Says Thank You to Rapparee For This Useful Post:
Pandora has a "tired" function that will hide a song for a short time. Unlike "Thumbs Down" which will hide it permanently, this will just not play that song for a while because you're tired of hearing it. That's what the "-" button does... but we all agree it should be something more indicative of that .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
I haven't tried running from the command line recently but I've had similar issues as The Arsonist running pianobar from the command line. Playback noticeably improved from your first release but it definitely skips every time you wake/sleep the display or anything like that.
Just as a note here, Vagelume also does a similar thing. It "skips" when the phone goes into sleep mode. So, it isn't just this application that does that.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheLongshot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
Just as a note here, Vagelume also does a similar thing. It "skips" when the phone goes into sleep mode. So, it isn't just this application that does that.
It's probably something to do with how these apps communicate with the audio. There is obviously multiple ways since some things can go silent, and other not, when you put your phone into silent mode..

The original developer of pianobar sent me a note that by simply changing drivers on the computer and using OSS instead of ALSA there was a rather dramatic decrease in overhead and memory. (It's already very small, but even smaller with those changes).. so evidently there's some impact also regarding audio drivers and what underlying audio system is used.

But still.. I'm unable to test, verify, or fix any of this at this time.

I use pianobar (command line version) almost daily. Its a great app! But the past couple of days i've been getting errors when i try to run it:

Attempt 1
Code:
~ $ pianobar
Welcome to pianobar!
(i) Login... Error: Connection failed.
Attempt 2
Code:
~ $ pianobar
Welcome to pianobar!
(i) Login... Ok.
(i) Get stations... Error: Connection failed.
Attempt 3
Code:
~ $ pianobar
Welcome to pianobar!
(i) Login... Ok.
(i) Get stations... Ok.
|>  Station "Mew Radio" (80688979362272943)
(i) Receiving new playlist... Error: Connection failed.
Occasionally a song or 2 will play but I will eventually get an error. I've tried on a few different internet connections with the same results. Was just curious if anyone else is having a similar issue.

UPDATE: For anyone interested I found a solution to the issue (even though i'm not exactly sure what the problem was to begin with). After actually visiting www.pandora.com in the microb web browser and logging in and listening to a few songs, I tried running pianobar and it works again. No "Connection Failed" errors. Not really sure why visiting the site allows pianobar to connect again (maybe pandora.com blocks ips that repeatedly connect using a non-approved client?) Anyway, all is well again and pianobar is still amazing

Last edited by lfcobra; 2010-04-07 at 20:31. Reason: update

The Following User Says Thank You to lfcobra For This Useful Post:
Before i go to sleep, I run pandora without sleep mode. When I wake up in the morning, pandora is no longer playing. (I forget the error message.)

I exit pyPianobar, but I notice the CPU has constant high usage. I wait for awhile and it is still there. So then I run htop and pianobar is running and using most of the CPU.

After waiting to see if it will close on its own, I kill-9 it.

This has happened multiple times. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Edit: So seems like pianobar stops playing when the token expires. After that, pianobar has high CPU usage, even after pypianobar is exited.

Last edited by ceevee; 2010-04-12 at 09:31. Reason: error explanation

The Following User Says Thank You to ceevee For This Useful Post:
Probably an unnecessary question..
I live in the Netherlands, I can't listen to Pandora on my desktop.
I suppose it won't be possible for me either to listen to Pandora through pianobar, or is it?

The Following User Says Thank You to Restap For This Useful Post:
We are in Extras!

Thanks all for your support and your votes! Now many more people will be able to listen to Pandora Radio without dealing with the resource-intensive flash!

@Ceevee - That is very interesting, I've never listened to pianobar that long straight. I have been extremely busy lately but eventually might be able to just leave pianobar running until the token expires and see what exactly pianobar "says" when it crashes out. I imagine what's happening is pianobar is dying, and thus pyPianobar is stuck in an infinite loop waiting on pianobar to return... something. If it's pianobar itself that sits at high usage, and not pyPianobar this actually sounds like a bug for the Pianobar application! I was going to redirect you over the PromyLOPh as I'm sure he'd want to know but there's Already a bug report on it! Thanks for reporting this. I may be able to get pyPIanobar to gracefully exit pianobar by sending the Q when it gets that error.

@Restap - Pandora is only available to US subscribers, however, you can use a proxy to make it *look* like you're in the US and get access to Pandora Radio. Pianobar supports using a proxy through the configuration file in ~/.config/pianobar/pianobar. There should be a commented out option regarding proxies that you can set. However, its up to you to find a proxy that works and you trust using; I don't use it and therefore can't recommend any.

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-04-14 at 15:38.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wako View Post
However there has been a bug that I have discovered. Im not too sure if this is because of the phone or pyPianobar is doing something. However this is my findings; whenever I charge my N900 and have pyPianobar running while charging, the device begins to get warm (which normally doesnt do this when its charging). After a full night of charging (and is also pretty warm as well) with pyPianobar running throughout the night, the following day I will ALWAYS find my N900's battery life drain very quickly. Usually Im able to get a 12-15 hour charge out of the device quickly become a 3-4 hour charge out of it. Upon recharging it again after the device dies it goes back to normal.
Wako - I would venture your problem is related to the same problem as Ceevee. Run TOP in a terminal and see if Pianobar is running 100% CPU usage; that would certainly cause your battery to drain very quickly through the day and currently requires you to kill it. Easier to kill it than wait for your phone to die or to reboot though .

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
I'm diggin pypianobar.

I think it would be great if you added:
1) fmtransmiiter/fmboost on/off button.
2) automatically load the last played station.

Personally, I do not care about the album graphic.
What I prefer is the ability to get pandora up and going with the least amount of work.
Anyhow, keep up the good work!
Thanks so much for this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zappa For This Useful Post: