Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
In short: shlibs.local doesn't have a bottom.
I see you're pretty optimistic I think I'll just wait until the situation resolves itself, maybe post a couple of "dissatisifiedwiththecurrentsituation" posts if it doesn't come out in a couple of days...

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Z0l View Post
Unfortunately libhildon1 is only one of the many upgrades PR1.2 contains. For example, QT 4.6.2 is not available from anywhere and since the buildserver upgrade, every app is linked against it.
Actually, not quite right.

If you specify build-depends (and depends) against libqt4-maemo5-* instead of libqt4-* you're installable for the time being (though this isn't strictly speaking best practice, it's better than apps not being uninstallable).

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Z0l View Post
Well, i could write my own OS for the N900, couldn't I? Circumventing problems is one thing, but breaking something deliberately is another. To compare, this situation is like dispersing nails in front of the garage door. You can of course circumvent the problem, but this is not something you would generally do, right? Nokia just did that when they upgraded the build server without releasing the firmware.
Yeah fair enough. It was directed more at the general subpopulation whining that they need PR1.2 so they can have the latest 1-line update version of their random app installed and you just happened to be the latest poster to seem to fall in that camp.

I'm a bit surprised how long it has taken since the autobuilder change, but i think stskeeps xfade is, too, or he wouldn't have done it.

Here's the story.

All i can say is there are going to be some really disappointed people when PR1.2 comes around, judging by this thread.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-04-13 at 14:16. Reason: My memory is subject to random bit-flipping by cosmic radiation.

Will PR1.2 do my laundry?

If not, I don't care when it comes out.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
I'm a bit surprised how long it has taken since the autobuilder change, but i think stskeeps is, too, or he wouldn't have done it. Also, he didn't know it was going to break updates.
You're getting people mixed up. I have no access to the maemo.org infrastructure whatsoever (.. and occasionally I am very happy I don't have that responsibility)
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
You're getting people mixed up.
Oops, sorry Mr. Distmaster. I can't recall who handles the m.o stuff if not you.

I have no access to the maemo.org infrastructure whatsoever (.. and occasionally I am very happy I don't have that responsibility)
Yeah, i imagine so.

Edit: Here we go. Niels Breet AKA xfade, the webmaster.

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...ch/025668.html

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-04-13 at 14:17.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
It doesn't matter who did it or who didn't, Stskeeps don't worry, nobody's accusing you because everybody knows it was Nokia, not you

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
I think you will find the problems with the long awaited 1.2 update is the bugs when being tested this is why Nokia obviously have not got it right yet, looking at the table of fixes they are emmense and to actually finalise an update that does not conflict within itself is obviously giving Nokia a huge probem otherwise they would have released it long time now.
Nokia as a company will obviously have a marketing and p.r team, THIS is where anyone should be contacting and i am pretty damm sure there has to be a reason they are not even giving out a statement of any kind direct to N900 users.
I am sure Nokia realise by now they are playing with fire on the N900 and if it were my company i would want to make damm sure i got this much much needed update right before public release.
The only answer i dont have is WHY they have not given a direct statement of any kind to the owners of the N900, they must care about us but have a weird way of showing it to say the least.
Unfortnatly i dont have any influence or inside contacts whatsoever in Nokia but i am wondering if there is someone on this very community that does, if so i think the time has now come to assert some pressure on Nokia to at least if nothing else give out a public statement because as far as i can see and i have been quiet for a while now on this thread because i have been asking some of my contacts on there thoughts etc etc WHY is Nokia being blind to the loss of faith in there very own company because that is very very apparent now as to what is happening.
May i suggest something here that EVERYONE puts together an email and direct it to the P.R or any dept you feel is best for your complaint to Nokia asking if they will give a public statement regarding the release of this much wanted update.
It really is pointless ranting on and on about it on THIS forum because it is falling on deaf ears, all thoughts and worries etc should be adressed directly to Nokia NOT to Maemo.Org as it is has proven pointless to date to get any answer from Nokia direct.
This community if for the benefit of advancement on future software input to be looked at by Nokia themselves, it does no way have any push on Nokia direct as far as i can see.
At first i was like the majority of members on here and got mad, now i am doing some serious thinking and making serious enquires about Nokia as a company.
Remember this ... YOU paid Nokia for the right to own your N900 YOU have the right to complain because YOU pay Nokia and every Nokia employee there salary !.
So now everyone do some serious thinking and do something positive in the direction it should be done, DONT sell your N900 because it is the best mobile ever to hit this world for many many reasons that you obviously have failed to see.
Thats my thoughts after a few days of serious enquires and i just hope it puts peoples mind in the right direction for answers to be got from this somewhat mad situation.
PS sorry for the obvious typo's i just dont want to correct.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
[...] huge post [...]
You have written a huge post from the point of view that Nokia could be a company that has a record of customer service and engagement. As with the usb connector problem, Nokia isn't one bit interested in you once it has your money. However, it is very interested in making more money from other people. If you really want a response from Nokia about anything you need get a few people together and email blogs like Engadget, a story on there would panic Nokia into releasing a statement. Otherwise you can sit in the dark with everyone else.

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-04-13 at 14:21.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
That may be true for the USA... but not for the rest of the world. I can place a video call to everyone who has a up-to-date handset, and I never need to worry if the person has a VoIP account, has a VoIP account on the same or a compatible network, is online at the moment... That's what I call video calls. Except, of course, if the person I want to call happens to own an N900.
Sorry, you are in Austria - happy exclusion.

Closed Thread

Tags
avoid thread, fictional update, firmware, fremantle, future, goodwin's law, it will be on 12.21.2012, maemo, maemo 5, may be it's a myth?, may be next week, maybe april fools, maybe not, patience is a virtue, patience wastes your life, post generator, pr 1.2, pr1.2, product release, repost, rerun, rick roll'd, speculation, update, worst thread ever