Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by samuch View Post
Have to agree that it's a bit misleading. It doesn't say that you are actually getting version 9 until after you pay, download, and are installing. That's disappointing. I just purchased it and was a bit let down.
The update to version 10 is free for version 9 customers..

Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
Question: Is it integrated with the UI or other apps on the N900 at all?

I'm specifically wondering about the Contacts app -- if I've already got someone's address entered into their Contact details, does SMM provide an easy way to simply select them from Contacts and plot a route?
This feature is coming in version 10

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Version 10 is looking very good! Nice of you to provide it for free to version 9 customers.

I'm really voting for TMC support, it would be very nice in foreign countries where roaming costs would prohibit internet based traffic information. And also just because, you know, it's possible on the N900!

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Poland
TMC is the feature I'm waiting for too, especially it will be available in Poland in a few month

I hope that they will provide demonstration version. Because now it is 60€ just to test does application fits you.

Other option is "sygic maemo torrent" like search in Google but that's illegal way which I prefer to not go.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
This is nice overview of main features of the application, yet I/we need more in-depth answers before buying (such lame they didn't bother to release trial edition!). My biggest concern is about overall performance and stability of application and the system underneath when app is running.

Questions:
  • Does SMM get sluggish when there's a lot going on behind the scenes CPU-wise?
  • How does UI catch up with user actions? Does it suffer from frequent lags, or is it responsive enough?
  • How large memory footprint does SMM take? Does it go into swap space once launched when no other app is running in the background?
  • What happens when a phone call comes in while navigating? Does device catch-up quickly or is there that annoying "lock" when you *know* a phone call is coming yet UI is lagging behind?
  • Is SMM minimized and on stand-by duing the phone call? Are voice directions also disabled?
  • Does SMM come back automatically after hanging-up the call? Does it need to re-gain GPS lock?
  • Is re-routing feature working fast and reliably? I've seen a video posted in one of the N900-related blogs (blame me, don't remember the URL) where author has put up a video of SMM really struggling to realize that driver has decided to take different route. Does that happen often?
  • Did you/anyone try to calculate a long-distance trip, say UK-Poland, and see how SMM works then? Is there a significant difference performance-wise?

Oh, and another one to those who are aware of upcoming SMM 10 version: if they don't like trial versions, do they perhaps plan to offer more flexible time-limited licenses, like 10 EUR for 1 month or so (like the old Wayfinder on N810 worked)?

Last edited by evad; 2010-04-26 at 12:28. Reason: One more question added

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Hrw View Post
I hope that they will provide demonstration version. Because now it is 60€ just to test does application fits you.
yes, please provide a trial version

Originally Posted by evad View Post
Questions:
  • Does SMM get sluggish when there's a lot going on behind the scenes CPU-wise?
  • How does UI catch up with user actions? Does it suffer from frequent lags, or is it responsive enough?
  • How large memory footprint does SMM take? Does it go into swap space once launched when no other app is running in the background?
  • What happens when a phone call comes in while navigating? Does device catch-up quickly or is there that annoying "lock" when you *know* a phone call is coming yet UI is lagging behind?
  • Is SMM minimized and on stand-by duing the phone call? Are voice directions also disabled?
  • Does SMM come back automatically after hanging-up the call? Does it need to re-gain GPS lock?
  • Is re-routing feature working fast and reliably? I've seen a video posted in one of the N900-related blogs (blame me, don't remember the URL) where author has put up a video of SMM really struggling to realize that driver has decided to take different route. Does that happen often?
  • Did you/anyone try to calculate a long-distance trip, say UK-Poland, and see how SMM works then? Is there a significant difference performance-wise?
Bear in mind that my unit is overclocked to 900Mhz...and latest SMM version installed.

1. While driving I usually have an FM trasmitter turned on and Music Player and the app does not lag at all. It might get sluggish when you push N900 CPU to the limit, but it's obvious though...
2. It is responsive enough, can't moan on that matter here.*
3. Won't help here, no deep analysis done as per that matter.
4. It catches-up quickly in my opinion.*
5. Yes, it is minimizes during a call, after you finish one, then you have to tap the app to restore it. Don't know whether it suspends the navi behind while talking, I guess it does, you can't hear voice commands, 'cause the speakers are used by the phone app!
6. Re-routing feature works well, but it needs a few seconds to realize that you are no longer on the previously calculated route.
7. No long destinations tested, only polish map is preinstalled on my unit. Maybe someone else will help you here.

*N900 itself lags sometimes, so it's perfectly normal for any app it runs to behave in the same way.

The Following User Says Thank You to stantheboss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stantheboss View Post

5. Yes, it is minimizes during a call, after you finish one, then you have to tap the app to restore it. Don't know whether it suspends the navi behind while talking, I guess it does, you can't hear voice commands, 'cause the speakers are used by the phone app!

Navigation is not suspend during the call , and you can hear the voice commands during the call as well.

This is after first update for Sygic (released last week)

The changes for last update is mentioned below
1. autorotation to one side
2. fullscreen
3. fixed issues when Portuguese language was set
4. position display improved
5. gps connection stays alive when the app is in the background, so that you can use other apps and have navigation running in the background

The Following User Says Thank You to ahmoda For This Useful Post:
Even when the app upfront is the phone app?
Maybe you're right, don't remember hearing voice commands while on call though...

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by ahmoda View Post
Navigation is not suspend during the call , and you can hear the voice commands during the call as well.
Wow, that sucks.