Active Topics

Notices

Closed Thread
Posts: 82 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ West Coast, USA
So in the meantime, how can we revert back to the old fMMS I had installed where everything was working fine? Mind you, the fMMS I was on before updating it 2 nights ago was the really really old one where it had nothing to do with selecting Rude, Havoc, or Polite or anything like that. It was the one where I had to set my APN seperately and fMMS seperately and everytime I wanted to send or receive, I would have to manually switch APNs first.

Now with this new one I just updated to 2 nights ago, I'm having all the problems everyone else is having. So is there anyway I can revert to the old fMMS for now until this problem is fixed? I receive at least 3 picture messages a day and I can't go with out MMS for that long.

Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel

The Following User Says Thank You to Schturman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by kerneld View Post
After the last updates, and reading about the new connection modes, I decided to give it another go. After the 12 or 13 update the mms apn disappeared from the list, and the apn settings inside fMMS were gone, so I decided to follow an advice by another user and copy the newer operator_settings version from the SDK to my N900, uninstalled fAPN and rebooted the phone. After rebooting, fMMS "detected" and displayed the correct mms settings for my operator.
Hmpf, they shouldn't have completly disappeared, but there might been some issues coming from earlier versions - as I'm always using the latest I don't really test with anything but the previous release I'm afraid

I'm assuming it is intentional (again, didn't read the whole thread) that when you choose Havoc mode, the MMS APN disappears from the connections list and those settings are only "stored" in fMMS. Going from Havoc to Rude or Polite, recreates the MMS APN on the connections list. Correct?
Yes, correct more or less, it's just hidden from the UI by masking out the sim_imsi stored

1st Issue for me: when I started having problems sending mms's I naturally switched from Havoc to the other two modes to see if I could make it work. In the process of doing this, I noticed that when fMMS recreates the APN in the connections list, regardless of whether the settings include a proxy or not, the corresponding checkbox for "Use Proxy" in the Connections Settings dialog (the one provided by the OS itself) is never enabled. The value for proxy and port are stored there, at first, but since it's not enabled, I'd wager the connection doesn't work.

Now, and again I'm assuming this is intentional, when on Polite or Rude, fMMS reads the APN configuration as stored in the OS connections list. Since this was created with the proxy checkbox unchecked, as soon as you switch out of Havoc, fMMS's internal settings for proxy go blank. Placing a check on that box results in fMMS obtaining all the settings correctly. Sorry for all this, but I didn't see it reported in the last few pages.
fMMS actually don't get care (or shouldn't, anyway ) if the "Use proxy" checkbox is enabled or not - as long as the values that are stored isn't null (0, or blank) they are used

First test send on Rude failed with no discernable error message.

First test send on Polite was successful, but app crashed or closed shortly after (apparently, immediately after I manually closed the mms apn connection -- gave it a good few seconds between getting the "message sent" dialog and closing it). Log file shows some errors.

Follow-up to the above: can't get the app to receive said mms (sent it to myself). Push-for-mms came shortly after fMMS crashed, pressed it and fMMS opened without issue. Clicked on received message, get no error dialog, app just keeps on "working" (ie, get that "still processing/working" animation at the top). Doesn't crash, though, pressing to close closes app immediately (yesterday the app was hard crashing on me).

Another note.. Somehow between failing to send with Rude and sending successfully but not being able to receive with Polite, the dreaded Use Proxy checkbox got unset again.. Does fMMS recreate the APN even if you're switching between Polite and Rude?

Second attempt to send through Polite worked, again, log file seems to get less errors -- but this time I didn't close the APN at all (though there was a period there where it was "crossed out"). Reception was flawless this time. Tried receiving the other mms that had failed, asked me to disconnect current connection (odd, it was the MMS APN), clicked Yes, took a little longer than the other one, but eventually retrieved my mms.
Crossed out means the data connection has been suspended by the modem, this is controlled by modem firmware in some way

I'm attaching a zip file with the logfiles.. I know it keeps incrementing, and that's what they are, but I wanted to be able to identify, through filename, what I was trying to do in the hopes it'll save you some time wading through the info (download here).

(didn't test Havoc as it's harder to see what's going on)

One last thing, no idea if it's related to fMMS or not: since the last few updates and the issues, I routinely unlock my N900 to find an open dialog for "Select Connection" -- something I've never had happen to me aside from using the Maps app (when it tries to get A-GPS data).

Feature request: (I know I'm pushing it, but hey, doesn't hurt to ask ) Something like File Manager has for deleting files on fMMS's main dialog. Ie, something that allows me to mark multiple messages for deletion at once, as opposed to deleting each one by one (testing in particular creates a lot of fluff).
I haven't had time to go through the logfiles at all yet, but I'll try to go over them and see whats wrong at some point.

The "Selection Connection" issues should be unrelated as fMMS doesn't interact with that part of the system.

As for the feature request, it be nice to have but won't be there any time soon as I think it's quite a bit of work

Thanks for the report!

Originally Posted by ABerri View Post
So in the meantime, how can we revert back to the old fMMS I had installed where everything was working fine? Mind you, the fMMS I was on before updating it 2 nights ago was the really really old one where it had nothing to do with selecting Rude, Havoc, or Polite or anything like that. It was the one where I had to set my APN seperately and fMMS seperately and everytime I wanted to send or receive, I would have to manually switch APNs first.

Now with this new one I just updated to 2 nights ago, I'm having all the problems everyone else is having. So is there anyway I can revert to the old fMMS for now until this problem is fixed? I receive at least 3 picture messages a day and I can't go with out MMS for that long.
Exactly what problems are you having? See Schturmans post for link to earlier versions

Originally Posted by salle74 View Post
I have a problem, and using the latest version. When connected to a wlan and on havoc mode pressing the send button doesent send the mms it just says resizing and sending, when i try to go back the program crashes. When connected to wlan and on rude mode fmms takes down my current connection but does not open up the mms connection? any idea? I have to choose the mms connection myself and if i do so its no problem to send the mms. I tried to test this: connect to the mms apn send the mms and when the mms was sent i quickly took down the connection but i got the mms anyway? Receiving is not a problem only sending.
Send me the log please so I can investiagte, thanks!

Originally Posted by canada900 View Post
What are you guys doing about the MMS APN being used by the phone as an internet connection. I mean when coming off of WIFI or after restarting it seems like the phone selects one of the connections at random. This is quite annoying because now I'm always checking my connection to make sure Im connected correctly. Is there any way to have my main internet connection treated as preferred or something else that will fixed this problem?

Other than that great app, works great!
I'm working on a solution to this, it seems to work somewhat decently for me but I need to finetune it a bit before I push a new update. For more information about the problem see the bug Ossman linked 3 posts back

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following User Says Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
This app keeps getting better & bettter you ROCK! Today an MMS arrived without the manual switching etc, Damn Amazing work you have done. Thanks so much!

Alright, uploaded 0.9.15 which fixes a minor bug and *SEEMS* to do fix the inserting the APN as non-default on fresh installs.

If you are using an old install, running:
/opt/fmms/fmms_config.py
from the terminal should switch the MMS APN so it's no longer default (while preserving all settings, hopefully).

Please test this and see how it works for you as I'm hoping to hit the "Promote" button very soon

(PS I'm using dh_pysupport now which should show itself in faster startup time )

After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900

Last edited by frals; 2010-05-03 at 10:32.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
HI!
My fmms is working perfectly, and has done so since day one (I've upgraded it along the way everytime I've seen an update available).
Also, I have never had any problems with the APN; I've vreated two, one for Internet and one for MMS => never any problems!
So, great app!

But, one question: How can I save the received image to my N900?
This might be a stupid question, but I can't find a way to do it...

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone, this is my first post Firstly i would like to express my appreciation for this fmms app. I was quite disappointed when i got my new n900 out of the box and it didn't do mms. Your efforts have made a good product much better!

I do have a problem though... I'm on the vodafone network in australia. It seems that i can only send mms messages to other vodafone mobiles. All the messages i send seem to leave the phone without issue but will only be received if the other phone is vodafone. sending to email addresses works fine. Any advice for this problem? Thanks again!

Ooh forgot to mention, i can receive mms messages from any network...

Last edited by ninja750; 2010-05-03 at 13:07.

Originally Posted by vvalanne View Post
HI!
My fmms is working perfectly, and has done so since day one (I've upgraded it along the way everytime I've seen an update available).
Also, I have never had any problems with the APN; I've vreated two, one for Internet and one for MMS => never any problems!
So, great app!

But, one question: How can I save the received image to my N900?
This might be a stupid question, but I can't find a way to do it...

Thanks in advance!
Press and hold on image in fmms. Then press 'Open', which should open the image in the gallery. Select the top bar and then 'Save'.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth131 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ninja750 View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first post Firstly i would like to express my appreciation for this fmms app. I was quite disappointed when i got my new n900 out of the box and it didn't do mms. Your efforts have made a good product much better!

I do have a problem though... I'm on the vodafone network in australia. It seems that i can only send mms messages to other vodafone mobiles. All the messages i send seem to leave the phone without issue but will only be received if the other phone is vodafone. sending to email addresses works fine. Any advice for this problem? Thanks again!

Ooh forgot to mention, i can receive mms messages from any network...
Uh, I think you have to contact Vodafone about this as messages to the same network gets delivered there shouldn't be anything wrong with fMMS afaik. You can try changing image resize to Small and see if that makes a difference though.

fMMS - MMS for your N900

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by frals View Post
fMMS actually don't get care (or shouldn't, anyway ) if the "Use proxy" checkbox is enabled or not - as long as the values that are stored isn't null (0, or blank) they are used
It seems to, though.. I don't mean to be pushy, mate, but every time I tried it, fMMS's proxy settings came up empty. I'm not sure whether the OS's own connection settings eventually clears data for fields that are "disabled", and whether that's why fMMS doesn't get the data properly, but unless I manually check the box those fields on fMMS do come up empty for me.

Now, since I did most of my testing on Polite (as it seemed to be the mode with the greatest success ratio) and with the APN settings correctly inserted, I have no idea if what fMMS shows me actually "counts" -- ie, don't know if even though fMMS shows empty fields for proxy (because the corresponding checkbox on the OS's connection settings is unchecked) it still manages to use the correct info.. Could you reproduce this on your N900 at all? Even if it's a cosmetic thing, unless getting that checkbox to go "active" is really tricky, it'd be nice to see, consistency-wise.

As for the random "Select Connection" dialog.. You are entirely right, it is unrelated to fMMS. I jumped to that conclusion since, aside from the fMMS's update and change of functionality, I hadn't installed anything new. Turns out, after some methodic (and tedious as I had to give it plenty of time in between iterations to "trip" itself) testing, a widget I had recently added to a desktop belonging to a standard/default app was causing that behaviour, even though it was supposed to be properly configured to not ask for connections, merely download data *if* there was an already active connection *and* it happened to be WiFi. *sigh* Sorry about that.

The Following User Says Thank You to kerneld For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
application, community win, fmms, frals rocks, fralsvsnokia1-0, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, mms, n900, python