Active Topics

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by torres76 View Post
Lol ok everyone. its funny how nearly every thread on here is either asking for apps to be made or problems to be solved, so yeah you stick with your perfect n900.
Do you know how long it would take to search the web for something to do in your area or outside let alone if you had a poor signal, i think it is a case of having your eyes wide shut.
First, it would be quite strange if there was a lot of threads like "Everything works fine, what to do?" "App installed perfectly, shall I use it now" etc etc. If things hum along fine then you don't need help do you? So forums tend to have a big amount of help-threads. Secondly the same applies to apps, you want some- you ask helpfull people.

I don't know how your operator works but for me weak signal means that I am far out in the countryside or inthe forrest, where, frankly not much is happening anyways...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daddeddad For This Useful Post:
I read these forums a lot but don't often have reason to post. I am a user with no development experience and till now had never used any Linux/Maemo devices.

Here are my N900 pro's and cons:

Pro's:
1- Multitasking. I've never seen a phone that can beat it.

2- Memory. I torrent a lot so 'nuf said

3- Hardware keyboard. Sorry, can't beat getting your hands on something real lol

4- Browser. It jut owns any other mobile browser i have ever used although i like the safari based ones also.

5- Text messages turned into trackable convos

Cons:
1- Apps/devel. Slow at all levels. Nokia let us down here although I understand the whole community development thing. I worry that this will be a one off abandoned format.

2- Simple things. eg: Choose separate ring tones for each contact. No decent portrait mode(I know they told us this b4 launch ) but...

3- Nokia/Ovi maps has no voice guidance. My N97 was far better for sat nav

4- MMS??? say no more

All in all I've had a bunch of phones and many did some of what i needed. This N900 does it all for me, email and browsing for work are perfect and some other stuff is a bit clumsy like the phone interface. The N900 is still the best phone i have had since my first Nokia Mobira.

I did not always choose Nokia but over all I preferred them.

On a side note - I can't believe there is no Gfire type app for us. I use xfire a lot and it's the only reason i would consider an Iphone or android.

Last edited by gibsonus; 2010-05-03 at 20:17.

I like these controversial threads.

My N900 is currently up for sale for a move to Android, but all the pro's said about the N900 makes me feel like I don't really want too sell it. Damn these hard decisions

The Following User Says Thank You to m165 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m165 View Post
I like these controversial threads.

My N900 is currently up for sale for a move to Android, but all the pro's said about the N900 makes me feel like I don't really want too sell it. Damn these hard decisions
lmao i reached that point too. So i looked for a phone that could do it all well and then kept my N900

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
I got the N900 to replace an Android phone. Been there, done that, won't get fooled again. Never another Android.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by torres76 View Post
... the apps are so cool and easy to use.
If i am somewhere with a bad signal i can still check the football scores or get any other useful information i need, i can use google street view, maps and earth for free with navigation so no stupid sygic rubbish...

... and it told me everything there was to do in my area (using gps) giving the closest first, ranging from cinema to kids entertainment, all i had to do was click on something and it would give address (link to google maps with navigation) phone number (click to call) and even a button that adds it to your calender and a choice to book ticket there and then. AMAZING...

Oh yeah and one of the most annoying things was the fact you couldn't save contacts to the sim card on nokia n900 so had to type them all in again on new phone, but gives choice to save to sim, phone, sd card and google so i did all four.
you should have tried an iPhone...
... more than a year ago.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by gibsonus View Post
Cons:
2- Simple things. eg: Choose separate ring tones for each contact. No decent portrait mode(I know they told us this b4 launch ) but...

3- Nokia/Ovi maps has no voice guidance. My N97 was far better for sat nav

4- MMS??? say no more 4- MMS??? say no more [/B]

Not to beat a dead horse, but MMS has been available for months. Check out the fMMS app in devel. (Or do a forum search for fMMS.)

There is also an app that's working on making the phone have user settable ringtones (though it's not well integrated yet). Again, do a forum search.

As for turn-by-turn, the OVI maps is disappointing. I'd love to know if the version in 1.2 has this. I've yet to hear if anyone testing it yet has hit the OVI map mover and copied not just the maps, but also the voice files needed for voiced turn by turn on most other OVI devices.

As for non-OVI stuff, Maemo Mapper has turn by turn, and if you install flite and make a small tweak you can get robo-voiced turn by turn announcements.

Last edited by woody14619; 2010-05-03 at 21:11. Reason: added more things I forgot to mention

Android? Are you out of your mind? I will never ever spend any money for a nosy Google-Bug. I'd rather stay without any mobile device. Google loves tools like you. In fact any company does. Not only you pay for the device, but you also rent the software, which you pay for with your user-generated data .

Somehow things follow a similar pattern, whether it is blindly installing dubious PR1.2 firmware, or buying a device from the most info-greedy company of the world (which occupied the web like a uncurable cancer) in order to enjoy stupid apps. Pretty rotten enjoyment if you ask me.

People don't seem to think any more, instead they give in to the multicoloured slime of the enjoyment machine which makes them lose focus even more. Double tragic, because there is a certain amount of thinking required in our confusing days.

Speaking of colours: Enjoy the brown clouds.

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but MMS has been available for months. Check out the fMMS app in devel. (Or do a forum search for fMMS.)

There is also an app that's working on making the phone have user settable ringtones (though it's not well integrated yet). Again, do a forum search.

As for turn-by-turn, the OVI maps is disappointing. I'd love to know if the version in 1.2 has this. I've yet to hear if anyone testing it yet has hit the OVI map mover and copied not just the maps, but also the voice files needed for voiced turn by turn on most other OVI devices.

As for non-OVI stuff, Maemo Mapper has turn by turn, and if you install flite and make a small tweak you can get robo-voiced turn by turn announcements.
lol ok ok i give in

I did mention some good things too lol

Eh.. lemme think... I know and as i said i get the whole devel research open source thing with this N900. However, software that works with "small tweaks" isn't really ideal. And it would all be fine that some tweaks are needed but for one thing.

Nokia are not by any means being seen to get behind their own phone.

Don't get me wrong. I love this phone! Just read my pro's post. It does most of what i need. But Nokia are leaving it to some amazing guys around here to follow up on their idea. Not fair.

It's like they sold us a "hobby" for around 500 £ / Euros.

All the posts from people selling their N900's can appear a little B1tchy but think about it. They bought into this phone for some amount of cash. Nokia made an absolute fortune then kinda sat back.

This may not be the case but the level of follow up in ovi etc...(where retail users look for apps etc...) is rubbish and suggests they are not bothering. Even the best voice guided nav app costs more than a symbian nokia phone to activate

Again... I love the phone... I love the concept... It does what I want it to do better than the other options. Nevertheless. £500!!! Nokia hyped it. I bought it. They went to the bank and left the heroes around here to mop it up.

Oh and yes i have had a few glasses of peaty Islay malt

Damn this phone is like my wife. It frustrates me! And i love it!

Last edited by gibsonus; 2010-05-04 at 18:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gibsonus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
I would NEVER EVER switch to Android.

It has a silly name, silly logo, and the most evil company on Earth is owning it. NO WAY!

Yes, Android is free, but it will only be free until the competitors go bankrupt.