Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
I remember that girl that dropped out of school because she didn't know how to get ubuntu to work on Laptop what gets me is she missed 2 semisters. Even on Windows Computers I restore for my friends and co workers I install open office and other free software like GIMP. I know its not free and open but I do install AVG also its atleast free. I get people all the time that tell me come on I know you have a microsoft office disk can't you just install it on my computer. I could but I wont, I tell them that for what they need they don't need ms office. I only have it because the power plant I work at gave it to be for $10 for home use.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the biggest reason why windows "wins" is that it comes preinstalled on anything from high end alienware to low end cheap stuff from some third shift out of china.

and the brick and mortar stores love this, as they can then sell third party boxes, like symantec's (that thanks to taking payment for updates after the first year, can be resold. Yep i have seen it happen).

Basically the whole thing hinges on "consumer" being the word we have been trained to use on ourselves. I cant speak for anyone else, but to be that word invoke a image of a baby bird in the nest, stretch its neck towards mama corp.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
I am a member of the AFT and not NEA. I have to say that there has never been "party line" on software that I have heard. The gratuitous chucking of rocks at the NEA is an easy cheap shot so the respondant took it. The reality of it is teacher's unions are not directive of their members. The members direct the organization. This is done by way of annual or triennial elections of officers.

What does this have to with Linux? Simply put it means that there is not a political bias toward Windows. There is an educational bias for Windows that runs from this thinking

"Education prepares our youth for the real world. In the real world Windows is what is used in the 90% of the installed computers. To properly prepare our students to function in the real world they will need to know their way around a Windows environment."

It is really that simple. It has nothing to do with Microsoft and everything to do with preparing students to use the installed machines in the real world. If Linux should become the dominant OS in the future I would hope that the educational establishment, and individual teachers, would provide ready access to Linux in the clasroom.

Originally Posted by zairs View Post
can I use it along-side windows??
I know its not the point but I've only just go into this and so far I'm struggling.
Also is there any programming guide for dummies??
With Linux ? yes.

You can dual boot linux / windows.
With VMWare, you can run windows & Linux concurrently.
If your primary OS is windows, then you will install Linux as the guest O/S.

If your primary OS is linux, then you can install Windows as the guest O/S.

Programming guide: A lot, just use QT so you can write in linux and write in n900

Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post
"Education prepares our youth for the real world. In the real world Windows is what is used in the 90% of the installed computers. To properly prepare our students to function in the real world they will need to know their way around a Windows environment."

It is really that simple. It has nothing to do with Microsoft and everything to do with preparing students to use the installed machines in the real world. If Linux should become the dominant OS in the future I would hope that the educational establishment, and individual teachers, would provide ready access to Linux in the clasroom.
I am raising my children on Ubuntu. They play all their games; including the education software GCompris for learning the keyboard, mouse, alphabet and math.

So I guess we'll pick up this debate in 15 years?

(OH! But wait! When he went to the In-laws he was able to figure out quite quickly how to use their Windows Vista... nevermind. )
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
I am a member of the AFT and not NEA. I have to say that there has never been "party line" on software that I have heard. The gratuitous chucking of rocks at the NEA is an easy cheap shot so the respondant took it. The reality of it is teacher's unions are not directive of their members. The members direct the organization. This is done by way of annual or triennial elections of officers.

What does this have to with Linux? Simply put it means that there is not a political bias toward Windows. There is an educational bias for Windows that runs from this thinking

how about, rather then teaching them specific programs, teach them concepts that will be applicable to situations. Or do i have to lofty a impression of modern education?

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC

I cannot believe a teacher just wrote that. Or rather, I do not want to believe...

There is NO NEED WHATSOEVER to teach anyone how to use a specific operating system. The concept of teaching "computer literacy" will soon go under together with the baby boomers who needed it. My generation (X) relied on RTFM mostly, so we did not need teachers. Anyone younger than my generation just uses computers WITHOUT studying them first. My kid was fully proficient as a not-tech Windows user at 6...

Jeez, some lame excuse...

Originally Posted by tso View Post
how about, rather then teaching them specific programs, teach them concepts that will be applicable to situations. Or do i have to lofty a impression of modern education?
I do agree that the ideal is to indeed teach transferable skills. I do also think that bashing the unions is ridiculous when they clearly weren't involved and are of course directed by the workers giving them a well needed voice. Lastly, kids DO need to be taught windows... Transferable skills are great, but its true that windows rules the industry and probably always will. It still wins on compatibility and ease of use in many ares... I can't see it ever being toppled, however much I support linux.

Dual boot 7 and Ubutnu here!

Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post
DOWNLOAD UBUNTU / LINUX!!!

Your girlfirends computer will run faster than it even has before!!!

http://www.ubuntu.com/

PS - It's FREE!!!
Few days ago ditched XP Pro on secondary laptop and installed Ubuntu. Initial impressions are very positive! I will use and hopefully learn some new things.
Doc

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
I guess those DOS lessons are being of great use to you nowadays?

Originally Posted by stayloa View Post
... Lastly, kids DO need to be taught windows... Transferable skills are great, but its true that windows rules the industry and probably always will. It still wins on compatibility and ease of use in many ares...
No, they do not.

IMO, anyone who NEEDS to be TAUGHT how to interact with a computer probably shouldn't be allowed near one.

BTW this thread is in the wrong subforum.