Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
state of maemos flash 10 is pure speculation with those sources.

"there will be no flash 10 to N900" @ nokia conversations or similar official place would be a proof.
Show me recent statements that it is still coming from Nokia.

How about alittle bit of optimism??? I find it hard to believe its not going to come to maemo, think we just have to wait alittle longer. I really cant compare maemo to windows or android. Everyone of my friends have those systems, except the ones with iphones

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Still cannot deny his level of respect here and this is becoming a witch hunt in the wrong direction.
You really need to cool your jets Gerbick. You use charged words and see malicious intent where there quite often is none.

Like it or not, you don't live in a your little N700 village anymore, the N900 has changed this forum from a village into a city. And just like in real life, not everyone knows everyone else by name, especially not the new person in town with fresh tire tracks on their lawn from the moving truck. In fact, most would say calling out a newbie asking questions and saying he's "on a witch hunt" for asking them is disrespectful.

What you call "disrespect" and a "witch hunt" is neither. The OP is a relatively new user, validly questioning why a twitter response from one person (who doesn't work for Nokia) is being considered gospel on this topic. That's not being disrespectful, it's being practical.

He's not saying qole is wrong, or that everyone is an idiot for believing a tweet. This is someone concerned about getting 10.1 support who's trying to figure out where the source of this information is coming from, and how valid it is. And like most people, the answer of "this guy on twitter said it" isn't quite enough to satisfy that answer. Especially when there's no additional information about who qole is, his history here, or why people are placing stock in his take on things.

Nokia has not said a thing about 10.1 in a long while. qole has said (on this forum and in twitter) that his sources tell him it's not coming. I personally take that as a good indicator that it may actually not be coming (or at least it's priority is low enough internally to make it not happen). But until Nokia comes out and say it (like they recently did with MeeGo) it's still an unconfirmed rumor, and subject to change.

Prat of the reason Nokia hasn't said anything is the game corporations play. They'd rather say nothing than say "No", only to see overwhelming support swell and have to flip on their decision. Instead, they say nothing, and wait to see what happens. If there's a huge swell demanding Flash 10.1, they can then direct resources to make it happen and don't wind up with egg on their face.

Individuals may put more or less stock in qoles interpretation and/or his contacts. That's not disrespect, that's human nature. The response for where this is coming from is still valid, but in the city that now is N900 it takes a little more of an explanation than "this guy says so".

Last edited by woody14619; 2010-05-27 at 18:55.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
I'll go with what is known...

Flash Player 10.1 for Android signup. There isn't one for Maemo.
There isn't one for WebOS or Symbian either.

No comment about Maemo at all.
Which all it means right now is that Maemo probably isn't among those OSs who will get it on the release date. It doesn't mean that it won't come at all. I remember there was some comment from Adobe that they had no announcement for Maemo. That's hardly a denial.

Right now, no one here knows if Flash 10.1 is coming or not. Any statement either way by someone outside of Nokia has to be chalked up as speculation.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Again... If you want to see Flash 10.1 support, I advise you to do something other then whine about it on this forum. Open a bug ticket and get people to vote for it. If you can get several hundred votes in a short time (which is quite possible) it may just stir things up internally enough in a place where an actual Nokia employee will see it and spur them into action.

Whining about it here is as useless as complaining that you didn't win the lottery after not buying a ticket. Filing the bug and coordinating votes is a long shot, but at least there's a fractional chance what you're doing will be noticed.

Just saying...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
I know qole. I know what he's done. I am a relatively long-standing member of these forums (even if I did disappear a while).

I have absolutely no reason at all to disagree with qole's tweet, or have any doubt that at this point it appears there will be no Flash 10.1 for the N900.

What I still can't understand, believe, or even fathom - is how they could possibly justify it, in any capacity at *all*... when it was demonstrated in a working example on the N900!

Obviously.. this is not a technical limitation. If they got it to work at least to that point that it functioned in a demo I find it extremely unlikely that the next day they hit a hiccup and went "Aww crap.. I guess the N900 really can't handle full Flash 10.1". Not likely.

So, if Flash does not come for the N900 (which I have no reason, inkling, or thought to doubt qole and his source) - the only possible excuse I can fathom would be a business decision by Nokia. And I'd personally consider it a bad one.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
For instance... Cummins Diesel makes engines for Ford in a partnership. If I had a question about their Ford implementation of their diesel engines... I'd go straight to Ford.

How is that applicable? Adobe makes the Maemo/ARM implementation of their ubiquitous (proprietary, et al) Flash Player for Nokia to be used in the Maemo OS. If I have a question, using the aforementioned logic, I would go to Nokia first."
I don't see that analogy working here.

Cummins is an OEM for Ford. Adobe is not an OEM for Nokia in the same regard. They are developing a plug-in and can no doubt at any time elect to discontinue development or pull it outright even if it's complete.

It's just not the same as contracting to OEM a truck engine.

There are numerous differences here which explode the analogy. Licensing is another.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
So, if Flash does not come for the N900 (which I have no reason, inkling, or thought to doubt qole and his source) - the only possible excuse I can fathom would be a business decision by Nokia. And I'd personally consider it a bad one.
As said above, it *could* be an Adobe decision as well. BUT, if it was strictly Nokia and based on a reluctance to pay for licensing, THAT would make me VERY unhappy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
mmmmmm...
I have dream...of a device that lasts as long as my mobile contract and keeps its value proposition.
I got my N900 on a contract renewal. Because I had some Nokia marketing NIT-xperience before(ouch), I chose specifically a 1 year contract.
So I got the phone as soon as available in Paris: Dec 09.

I couldn't care less about flash, css, html 345 and what not. I just wanted the best possible web experience... And a few goodies (sigh).

6 months down the line I found myself in a position where the best possible web experience is not there for me anymore. I can't watch my favorite sites.

Rather than having Nokia commit on flash xx and Mfe blahblah, I would love them to simply commit (and charge if relevant) to the effort of maintaining a value proposition for a specific (public..) period and population.

At times where we understand that people need to act a bit more "durable", I would love a company that says "Keep your phone" rather than "buy the next one" (seat taken btw Nokia...).

...Ok, now I can wake up and watch roadmaps, partnerships, community, privileged friendships ploy and kiss the dirt (over again) under the holy grail of more $$$$ and the like.

I do like my Nxxxs though.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Show me recent statements that it is still coming from Nokia.
if it has originally been announced to come, there is no need for further statements. if situation is changed, it will be announced.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
As said above, it *could* be an Adobe decision as well. BUT, if it was strictly Nokia and based on a reluctance to pay for licensing, THAT would make me VERY unhappy.
But if it was an Adobe decision - why would they have demo'd it? Not only that, it was the first device they demo'd with it.. coming BEFORE the Android device.

I could see that second part though; Nokia not wanting to pay the licensing fee's. But how does that work - when just about every desktop in the world runs 1 of 3 major OS branches and they all get flash for free. (Or, does Mozilla, Microsoft, etc all pay Adobe to maintain a flash for their browser? *legitimate question*)
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update