Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Or just remove the glib and gobject imports, sms.py does not use them.

Frank

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Italy
Guys...you're doing a GREAT JOB !!!

I'll test the application as soon I finish some urgent work and got the N900 fully upgraded to PR 1.2 (I can't flsh EMMC right now)...

PLEASE, if possible, add T9 imput. It is the best for vertical sms input and sometimes much faster than a full vertical keyboard. It is also much easyer to use with only one hand.
If Nokia were intelligent it should heve help guys like you and license T9 code to include in your app...since they didn't managed to do T9 for N900 :-(.
But if they won't please try to implement something similar (I hope there would be something around open source in Linux/Android OS)....of course with international language support (like Italian :-) )

Good work & greets from Italy.
SkyEagle

hey everyone,

I am testing the app and it is amazing! you guys have done an incredible job! we are all thankful!

i was thinking about something:
@Ossipena:PR 1.2 does bring portrait mode in email and conversation through autorotation. can you guys create a variant of your app which is simply a vertical qwerty with input space and a 'copy all'/delete all buttons. always open in the background, we would switch to it via multitasking, write our text, copy it with a single button, paste it to our email or conversation! without the 'send to' part in vertsms, we could actually afford to make the buttons bigger. we could also just add a 'copy all'/delete all button/function in vertsms and make it a one-stop app, but the qwerty would still be a tad small.

thank you even for reading! i wish i could finally take some time off and learn some programming myself...

you guys are the BEST for making us this!

hi i installed it, write and send a message.. but the recipient doesnt receive the message...

the sms does not record in the normal conversations window ...

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by BN900 View Post
hey everyone,

I am testing the app and it is amazing! you guys have done an incredible job! we are all thankful!

i was thinking about something:
@Ossipena:PR 1.2 does bring portrait mode in email and conversation through autorotation. can you guys create a variant of your app which is simply a vertical qwerty with input space and a 'copy all'/delete all buttons. always open in the background, we would switch to it via multitasking, write our text, copy it with a single button, paste it to our email or conversation! without the 'send to' part in vertsms, we could actually afford to make the buttons bigger. we could also just add a 'copy all'/delete all button/function in vertsms and make it a one-stop app, but the qwerty would still be a tad small.

thank you even for reading! i wish i could finally take some time off and learn some programming myself...

you guys are the BEST for making us this!
So yeah, once again, I'm NOT ossipena so I am not strictly speaking on his behalf, but as a hobbyist programmer myself, I foresee the following problems with your request:

• The qwerty keyboard that exists was never in the scope of features intended for vertsms. In fact, it only exists because frals implemented it, pushed a merge request, and ossipena accepted it. That isn't to say that ossipena was incapable of creating it, but that he didn't.
  • The point above means two things: first, that there probably won't be a horizontal keyboard "only" variant of this app, because this app was never focused on qwerty keyboards. second, that because the qwerty keyboard was introduced as a patch, it's easy enough to seperate the interface itself. input is a different story
  • In order to allow email, etc to make use of the qwerty keyboard, they would need to have the interface connected to input events. IIRC modest is open source so it is technically possible, but I'm not sure if the others are
  • As far as automatically starting it in the background, this would mean either being able to catch dbus events or similar in order to know when to open the program.
In summary, while I appreciate the enthusiasm, I'm not certain that the request itself is practical. Assuming it is, I'm not sure it belongs here. That is, it should be a separate program. Then again, I've been wrong on many occasions. for those interested, the code that handles the qwerty keyboard can be found here

The Following User Says Thank You to aspidites For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Leicester,UK
two idea from me:

firstly is there anyway you can add a tab at the top of the messages (next to 'clear conversation' and ' open contact card') so we can run and use the application straight from a text being open.

Secondly is it possible to add a button that clears the previous text in just one click?

thank you

Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
hi i installed it, write and send a message.. but the recipient doesnt receive the message...

the sms does not record in the normal conversations window ...
Same for me, can someone tell what's wrong?

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by hermes040 View Post
Same for me, can someone tell what's wrong?
I must see after summer (I have million things to do @work and @home so I unfortunately can't spare time for developing atm)

the problem is your operator. (or lack of features in vertsms, but with my operator I can use both TON -codes with newest vertsms and both work fine (regional numbers, for example 0401234567 and international, for example +358401234567).

I suggest you try to change the number from one to another (regional vs international) and see if it works.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
ossipena, just an idea. Being a native portuguese speaker, I usually write messages with accents. However, when you write a special character like "á", N900 (and every other phone I know) automatically switches from 7-bit to UTF-16, which is one of the allowed codifications supported by the SMS standard.

It's easy to spot when it happens and confuses many uses: the SMS composer shows something like '122 remaining characters' then it jumps to something like '31 remaining characters'. That's because with the 7-bit encoding you can have 160 characters in a message, while with the UTF-16 encoding you can have only 70.

However, reading the 3GPP docs, specifically section 6.2.1.2 of 23038 version 911 (the latest), I've noticed that there are many 7-bit extensions to national languages.

What do you think about implementing it on VertSMS, with a configuration option like 'econo-mode'? This would try and avoid the switch to 16-bit, reverting instead to the appropriate 7-bit extension table for the national language of the user. This would greatly expand his/her capacity to type and would mean many savings, specially for that people who send something like 300, 400 SMS a day.

This would greatly differentiate the N900 from other phones. I know of no phone that currently does that.

I am about to make some experiments with that, including a test with the portuguese 7-bit encoding to see if the SMS centers in my country support it.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
bump this thread.

Tags
portrait sms