Notices

Posts: 349 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ PS/IL

Nokia's Calling All Innovators contest is back for 2010!

Nokia is once again Calling All Innovators in the app development field to create great apps and content for Nokia mobile devices. There are several cash prizes of up to 50,000 USD to win, not to mention other incentives.

Quim Gil:
http://www.callingallinnovators.com/ - 10 days to go and there are special prizes for Maemo 5 / N900 apps.

These special prizes are based on the type of technology used to create the app, or other award criteria, as noted below:
  • Best application for the Nokia N900: $50,000 (USD) in cash.
  • Best cross-platform application using Qt: $50,000 (USD) in cash.
  • Best mobile computing application: $50,000 (USD) in cash, plus the winner of this special prize will be included in a multi-million dollar global marketing campaign that will be used to help promote the winning app.
  • Best locally relevant application with global potential: $15,000 (USD) in cash.

Last edited by Chrome; 2010-06-02 at 05:38.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Chrome For This Useful Post:
Really nice to see

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Right now probably one of the most needed applications would be a complete system BACKUP from N900 to PC capable of backing the whole system files including all contact information, apps personal settings etc etc eMMC included in a format that can be used directly for a complete restore for example a .bin file ready for flashing the device back to a known working point of backup.
This would be very beneficial for everyone from programmers to normal end user's that will take the worry out of installing and experimenting in general knowing if anything goes wrong it can be reversed by a simple restore flash when a loop situation occurs for any reason
I think an application capable of doing this would go a long long way for the N900 for many reasons.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2010-06-02 at 06:34.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Right not probably one of the most needed applications would be a BACKUP from N900 to PC capable of backing the whole system files including all contact information, apps personal settings etc etc in a format that can be used directly for a complete restore.
This would be very beneficial for everyone from programmers to normal end user's that will take the worry out of installing and experimenting in general knowing if anything goes wrong it can be reversed by a simple restore flash when a loop situation occurs for any reason
I think an application capable of doing this would go a long long way for the N900 for many reasons.
Don't we have that?

The Following User Says Thank You to nosa101 For This Useful Post:
Absolutely not and if you know of one please please tell me and everyone else what application this would be.

Absolutely not and if you know of one please please tell me and everyone else what application this would be.
The backup app backed up "all contact information, apps personal settings etc etc in a format that can be used directly for a complete restore."

Ok i need to re-word my post as you obviously dont understand what i am trying to say.

I think it would be better served to ask the specific problems you have with the current Backup app?

I get all my SMS, Contacts, and applications back after doing a restore from that.

As far as app personal settings.. those get stored in a different location than the root, and thus a normal reflash of your N900 wouldn't affect app settings.. (unless you also flash the eMMC).
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 216 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Switzerland
How about Nokia participates

OVI Support for N900 :-)
Turn by Turn Navigatin :-)

Regads Markus

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8844

missing a scrollbar? Vote here:http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...tic_scrolling/

Add quickbar (ABC, DEF, ...) in the Contact App. Vote here:http://maemo.org/community/brainstor..._address_book/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marktold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I think it would be better served to ask the specific problems you have with the current Backup app?

I get all my SMS, Contacts, and applications back after doing a restore from that.

As far as app personal settings.. those get stored in a different location than the root, and thus a normal reflash of your N900 wouldn't affect app settings.. (unless you also flash the eMMC).
The backup app we currently have does not give a file that can be used to flash the N900 back to the point of taking the backup in any way or form as it only backs up certain elements and not the whole system..