Originally Posted by verumgero View Post
...my gps signal kept bouncing around. I finally had to stop and wait for a moment before I finally got a good signal and was able to see that I needed to go one block to the south. I was about to start complaining about the gps but before I said anything I just thought about what was happening here: My phone that I was holding in one hand, was simultaneously sending a signal to OUTER SPACE and then communicating back to me with not just my current latitude and longitude but also downloading detailed maps of the area and telling me where I was in respect to my destination which I had just found on the internet WHILE WALKING DOWN THE STREET!
(My bold)

I'm going to feel like I'm shooting a puppy for posting this, but your handset doesn't have enough power to send a recognisable signal to outer space. You were receiving a number of signals from medium earth orbit, which your handset correlated to calculate your position. It then downloaded the relevant maps for said position from the 'net. All of which is still amazing enough to justify:

Dudes! We live in an amazing world with amazing technology that people a century ago could have barely dreamed of. We live in what many people would call science fiction.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Last edited by TomJ; 2010-06-05 at 12:51. Reason: Italic faff

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
i think there are going to be a lot more android complaints soon as it is more fragmented and android OS newer versions have great new features, but various handsets are either:

newly released with older versions

not upgradable

And the people here complain about no meego, hah, imagine if meego 1.0 handheld was out already and nokia was trying to sell you a maemo phone, that is the situation in the android world today, 2.2 is out and brand new phones are being sold with 1.6 and no upgrade path. ouch

Originally Posted by bsving View Post
You dont configure a car to be able to put it in reverse, you just do it. Apple has shown that the same thing is possible on phones.
Or you could say Apple showed that you don't _need_ a reverse gear on your car, then a model year or two later came out with an innovative reverse gear that didn't need configuration.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Or you could say Apple showed that you don't _need_ a reverse gear on your car, then a model year or two later came out with an innovative reverse gear that didn't need configuration.
This

It's all about marketing. But Steve did it right though. Nothing new is added until it is dumbed down and simplistic which is what the everyday user is looking for.
There are already too many things the user has worry about so making the device simple makes it appealing.

The iPhone is great for what it is. People need to accept that.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
Perhaps the IPhone forums are more strictly moderated?
Apple is about unconditional Love.

Kinda like Dog Love.

You kick him, you scream at him, and he always comes up wagging his tale at you!

The Little Doggy's Love Apple Unconditionally!

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
i think there are going to be a lot more android complaints soon as it is more fragmented and android OS newer versions have great new features, but various handsets are either:

newly released with older versions

not upgradable

And the people here complain about no meego, hah, imagine if meego 1.0 handheld was out already and nokia was trying to sell you a maemo phone, that is the situation in the android world today, 2.2 is out and brand new phones are being sold with 1.6 and no upgrade path. ouch
I think the biggest problem with Android is that the service provider controls the update.

If I buy an Android phone in 3-4 years I'm going have to look at the new ones, wait a few months to see which ones are rooted and can install custom Roms.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

If I buy an Android phone, it would be whatever google puts out because it'll get updates first

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted by ivanzorkic View Post
What is interesting to me is the fact that only the iPhone users never complain about their devices - and with all the features these Apple products are missing - I can't understand it. Either Steve is a master mind-controller, or they perfectly nailed the demographic of their customers.
I think Apple and Jobs will go down in history as the world's first "Techno-Cult" and will fit nicely beside the first Si-Fi techno-religion Scientology!
The Apple meeting/unveiling videos I've seen, portray the followers exibiting rather cultish behavior, it's all a bit disturbing really.

Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
Perhaps the IPhone forums are more strictly moderated?
I'd guess they are. Before I saw the light and swore off apple products, I posted a comment on the apple forums asking for help with an ipod which had crackly sound, that could be temporarily fixed by applying pressure in the top right corner. The post was written in a friendly tone, with a bunch of links to pages describing the same problem, and I was basically just asking if someone had a DIY fix I could try. The next day the post was gone, and I had a private message on the forum stating that product complaints were against the forum's terms of use

Suffice to say, that was the day I learnt that apple has the reputation they have not by having superior quality products, but rather by having a top-notch marketing team and aggressively-maintained public image.

The Following User Says Thank You to zombiepig For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
iPhone users don't complain because all their complaints are deleted by Apple before people get a chance to see them.