Active Topics

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I haven't looked in Ovi store yet. However, i am quite impressed with what i can get, all for free, in Extras.

I agree it's ridiculous what Ovi has (not) accomplished in the last six months, but I am a bit curious: what do people expect to get out of Ovi given the niche status of Maemo?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
So you concerned about the company's standing in the market? Or are you concerned about your device?
I am concerned about buying a device for $600 based on claims of functionality or functionality that was explicitly labeled as "coming soon" that has yet to show up. To site a few specific examples;

-Ovi Store (just now coming online 6 plus months later)
-Ovi Maps, which was an absolute joke at launch and still isn't as functional as the version they give away free for virtually every other phone they make.
-Ovi Suite / PC Suite integration. Still not released, but reports from Beta testers indicate that a version with most features functional will be released at some point.
-The biggest issue of course, and the one that really has the community in flames is that Nokia really represented to the community that the N900 would be a little raw at release, but not to worry, because Harmattan would be just over the horizon. We all know how that worked out.

I feel like Nokia made promises of future functionality, misrepresentations & outright lies of present functionality and generally broke covenant with their customers in order to sell a device they had no intention from the start of supporting over even a minimal span of time. It has been six months and already the community can see the darkness closing in.

Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I am concerned about buying a device for $600 based on claims of functionality or functionality that was explicitly labeled as "coming soon" that has yet to show up. To site a few specific examples;

-Ovi Store (just now coming online 6 plus months later)
-Ovi Maps, which was an absolute joke at launch and still isn't as functional as the version they give away free for virtually every other phone they make.
-Ovi Suite / PC Suite integration. Still not released, but reports from Beta testers indicate that a version with most features functional will be released at some point.
-The biggest issue of course, and the one that really has the community in flames is that Nokia really represented to the community that the N900 would be a little raw at release, but not to worry, because Harmattan would be just over the horizon. We all know how that worked out.

I feel like Nokia made promises of future functionality, misrepresentations & outright lies of present functionality and generally broke covenant with their customers in order to sell a device they had no intention from the start of supporting over even a minimal span of time. It has been six months and already the community can see the darkness closing in.
So what do you do when life gives you lemons?

I bought my device knowing it was unfinished. I wanted to contribute to its development. The apps in extras are a lot better than anything the Ovi Store has to offer and they are free.

But i can understand your disappointment. I just don't think continuos whining about how Nokia screwed us over is going to fix anything.

We've made lemonade, why are we still complaining that life gave us lemons?

And the big boss at the top is laughing his ***** of right now, buying a new mercedes from your and everyone else his 600 dollars

muhahahaha, isnt the world great! You can sell $hit and still most people dont even mention it.

Maybe in 10 years the ovi store will have twice as many apps as now. hahahah that means, still nothing!

question! i bought angry bird and it charged me 1.99 but on my bank account i also see another charge for 1.46.....what is that for?? a service fee?? the only thing i bought was angry bird levelpack 1

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Mexico
dude dont trust in nokia...

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by vinni3winni3 View Post
question! i bought angry bird and it charged me 1.99 but on my bank account i also see another charge for 1.46.....what is that for?? a service fee?? the only thing i bought was angry bird levelpack 1
probably tax?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
But store lists price inclusive of taxes....so whats the extra charge for....royalty ???

I.46 is too much for tax

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
RocketMan: Yes, I agree completely. Nokia should at least live up to these promises. In the end, it's their choice if they want to keep their customers or not. If this doesn't get any better, I have to admit it's an expensive ~$600 mistake, but there's no doubt I do it only once.