Posts: 106 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Amazonia (Spain)
I see, some of you still want to fight...
Well: ENG 1-0 USA
Obviously, Europe is better than America!
Think about it!

Coming soon

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It was about my actions. Come on Matthew, let's be honest about that and move on.
I think the point is that while you were a contributing factor you are not the sole focus of his disagreement.

You aren't the only moderator that does the things you do (at least, I don't think so). So yes, he COULD have PM'd you specifically about YOUR thread you closed: but I'm sure PB had several threads in mind when he posted, yours just being the last one (most recent) that happened.

So while he could have gotten clarification on yours specifically, that wasn't really what he was after.. (if I'm reading him correctly.)
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Again you are supposing this is all about you.

Cmon, its about the community. Personal feelings aside.

This was NOT about Texrat, can you understand that. This is about how MY community is dealing with asshats?

Do I know who all the mods are, nope, I could have written Reggie, but there is no point.

Things get done here when the COMMUNITY says yeah, lets change this.

I am not on council anymore, so I have no need to discuss ANYTHING in private.

and one more time, NOT about YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT
In fact my PM's are disabled, so don't bother PM'ing me

"To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around. "
Not to be rude. But seriously......why are you here?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grok For This Useful Post:
I worked as a moderator for a forum some time ago, for quite long time; with way more less than mature users and contents; and I believe that the only way to go is to be hard on the ones that go beyond the limit. And I have some lessons learned that I want to share.

What is this forum? It is a place for Maemo (or MeeGo) enthusiasts to talk about its devices; for developers to launch new applications; for people to TALK.

In the end; that is what we try to do here; to talk; and we must strive to do it in a civil way.

Penguin; the forum didn't went "bad" when it became sponsored by Nokia; it started going downhill with the launch of the N900.

Because it brought a lot of new people, some of which are not civil in any way.

I have done my best to try and teach some common things to this new people (mind you, I don't consider myself an expert); to give them perspective; to explain things. I see a lot of old-timers do that as well. And some of this new guys have turned out to be very valuable additions to the community.

But there is people that are just nasty; rude; that just insult you and the peace of the forum with idiotic threads and rants. If they don't want to reform themselves, then; ban them and close their threads. Period.

Some people talk about democracy and freedom of speech in the forum; but even democracy have laws; that must be followed.

There isn't censoring here. Anyone is free to disagree to anyone. Problems come when people with stretch minds that take disagreements as a personal offense, when they start shouting and throwing tantrums. That kind of things shouldn't be allowed.

There are times when I feel that I am in my house, calmly conversing with people about mobile technologies; and out of nothing some random guy comes in crashing and screaming Nokia sucks; and disrupting the place with bad behavior. Wouldn't you get him to calm himself or get out?

That is what moderation is about.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Last edited by mrojas; 2010-06-12 at 18:47.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
@PB: Regarding sig.

How is that any different than what you occused Texrat of? (taking your ball and going home?)

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
It was about my actions. Come on Matthew, let's be honest about that and move on.

And for the record, I acknowledged I could have made a better choice in that thread. Thank you (and Corso and fatalsaint) for the heads-up if nothing else.
ITS NOT ABOUT YOU.

You were the final straw. Its been happening for months. I can be honest.

Texrat, you have known me (at least on here) for a long time.

IF I was trying to make this about you I would have said Texrat is being a dick. I did not, nor do I think that was your intent.

I purposely did not mention you. Perhaps I should have waited 6 hours and them maybe to wouldn't have gotten you while it was fresh.

To be honest. I believe free speech is welcome here including complaints.

Can you be honest with yourself Texrat, am I known to be delicate about my opinions? If my problem was with you, the thread title would have been "Sick of Texrat closing all the threads"

This is about the community and how asshats are handled, please recognize this.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
If people think THIS place is heavy-handed, keep an eye on the MeeGo forum. This place started out mostly open-- MeeGo is more restricted and I get the impression that will be the overall tone. More professionalism is expected of posters there.
I think this forum is one of the most free and lenient one while keeping a workable and productive structure.

I've always held that in high regard and i guess i can appreciate that because i've seen and participated in other forums where things are either too free (anarchy reigns, nothing gets done) or the extreme opposite (everything is restricted, nothing gets done).

I guess if the official MeeGo forum is too... Un-maemo, we can still modify this shed to retain the community and what's great about it and just tack on a new label to the clubhouse? "Ye Olde Pre-MeeGo Supporter Club" or whatever.

Let's not lose ourselves here. There's something truly worth saving and holding on to.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Let's not lose ourselves here. There's something truly worth saving and holding on to.
There is.. unfortunately there's also a point at which you have to realize that what you once loved is lost and is not returning.

Granted, I'm not saying we're there yet: But I am saying we need to keep a realistic perspective, and if we can't get the situation improving then T.M.O. will likely simply be a ghost of what it once was, and nothing left to fight for.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
@PB: Regarding sig.

How is that any different than what you occused Texrat of? (taking your ball and going home?)

I have no equipment, I did not get mad and leave. I just have less reason to be here. I have posted that I just got a new battery on ebay for my 810, which has me renewed again.

I was coming back occasionally and finding people had asked me questions for help and I was not here to answer them ( for weeks), so I gave them a way to contact me if they needed something.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I have no equipment, I did not get mad and leave. I just have less reason to be here. I have posted that I just got a new battery on ebay for my 810, which has me renewed again.

I was coming back occasionally and finding people had asked me questions for help and I was not here to answer them ( for weeks), so I gave them a way to contact me if they needed something.
Ok, this was probably my fault. I usually don't read sig's but I did see your edit about disabled PM's, and then saw someone quote your sig with your post which made me focus on it.. and wrongly assumed that you only just disabled your PM's and only just put that sig up.

If it's been there a while I apologize and completely disregard my comment.

Tags
community, we the people