Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post
N900's Email is a Joke
After PR1.2, I'm fairly happy with it, actually, as they now support meeting invitations properly, which is a must for those of us that work in medium/big organizations.

But, where is the copy/paste of email text? I can't believe that they seem to have left out such a basic and crucial functionality.

Originally Posted by vinsci View Post
After PR1.2, I'm fairly happy with it, actually, as they now support meeting invitations properly, which is a must for those of us that work in medium/big organizations.

But, where is the copy/paste of email text? I can't believe that they seem to have left out such a basic and crucial functionality.

To copy and paste use Ctrl+c and then Ctrl+v on the keypad, however if you are looking to copy text from an e-mail, *without* having to go through the annoyance of having to forward the e-mail in the first place, just hold shift, select the text, then you can copy the text and paste it where ever you like

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to james174 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Minneapolis, MN
I've searched for awhile regarding an email issue I'm having with my N900 but can't find anything so I'm going to post it here..

I have two POP email accounts setup with "update automatically" via "any connection" at 5 minute intervals but i never get emails except for when my N900 changes the data connection and (presumably) Modest does its initial send/receive. So I connect to say my WIFI, i get a bunch of emails, then nothing. It could be for hours until I leave the house and it connects to TMobile Internet and bam all my new emails show up, then once again, nothing until I connect/reconnect... Manual send/receive makes no difference and Modest say it's refreshing but the emails never show up until the connection is changed...

Any ideas???

thanks...

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Perth, Australia
Originally Posted by drewdudemn View Post
I've searched for awhile regarding an email issue I'm having with my N900 but can't find anything so I'm going to post it here..

I have two POP email accounts setup with "update automatically" via "any connection" at 5 minute intervals but i never get emails except for when my N900 changes the data connection and (presumably) Modest does its initial send/receive.
Exact same issue here, and I think a lot of people with identical setups have the same problem. I've only the one POP3 account (I have hotmail forward to gmail, and gmail forward to my ISP).

As much as I love diversity, and there's some really nice clients out there, I'd be happy to just have the Modest bugs fixed. Account checking interval should be something which is easily fixed... right? :-)

wow is it really that bad? idk, i dont have any probs with it. it seems just as fast as any other i have used. i do wish there was some kind of searching support and slightly better organized but i learned how to work it. no complaints from here

Originally Posted by james174 View Post
To copy and paste use Ctrl+c and then Ctrl+v on the keypad, however if you are looking to copy text from an e-mail, *without* having to go through the annoyance of having to forward the e-mail in the first place, just hold shift, select the text, then you can copy the text and paste it where ever you like
Actually, the manual has the full story:

Copy text from a mail message

1. Tap the message at the point from where you want to start copying.
2. Press and hold the shift key, and use the arrow keys to select text.
3. Press ctrl + C to copy the text, and ctrl + V to paste it to another location.
I don't like this method so much, though, as it is hiding basic functionality in a non-obvious way. To begin with, a character cursor needs to be shown after step 1 above - this would already have been enough for me to figure the rest.

The problem of choosing between scrolling the window and selecting text in order to copy/paste it is exactly the same situation as in PDF readers.

The current method could remain as a shortcut, but a toolbar button for toggling, as in all the PDF reades that everyone already knows, would avoid the need for actually requiring people to read the manual. There seems to be space available in the toolbar.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Are here any news about using mutt on the N900?

Since the new Firmware I miss the feature to sort my mails.

There is also a Bug Report: #10332 (please vote) - sadly, they considered it as WONTFIX (I guess we will have it at MeeGo again) - but voting doesn't hurt

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
You can, in fact must, set this for each email account. Open the account, tap on the top bar of the screen, then select 'Edit account' put a check in 'Leave messages on server' and save your settings.
Personally I have an e-mail for general use, and then I created a new one for the tablet only. I have then forwarded all the emails from my general, to my tablet-email. I love this solution myself.

Originally Posted by vinsci View Post
so when you receive a meeting invitation, how do you view the date, time and location of the meeting before you accept the it?

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ California, USA
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Are here any news about using mutt on the N900?
Hmm, I wonder if it might compile out of the box in the Maemo5 SDK.

I don't know anything about packaging for Maemo (Debian), but I recompiled ssh with kerberos support on my n810, and just copied the necessary binaries over

Originally Posted by Helmuth
Since the new Firmware I miss the feature to sort my mails.

There is also a Bug Report: #10332 (please vote) - sadly, they considered it as WONTFIX (I guess we will have it at MeeGo again) - but voting doesn't hurt

Modest is such a disappointing mail client, compared to Claws-Mail, and other mobile mail clients, as much as I try to appreciate simplicity (errr... the lack of useful features) in Modest.

Last I checked, Claws-Mail on the n900 was missing a few plug-ins compared to the Chinook/Diablo versions, but you might want to check it out, if you've never looked at it before.

In any case, I just put a vote in for bug 10332.

The Following User Says Thank You to slvr32 For This Useful Post:

Tags
porting outlook express