Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ France
WLAN_INFRA means that you're using a classic Wifi AP (not Adhoc). That's the value returns by a maemo env variable.

Notifications are like a visual debug, so I didn't think you would mind

If you like it => http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...connect/0.4.6/

The Following User Says Thank You to calvin_42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Portugal
Hey Calvin.. A clarification from a few pages back: I wasn't the one asking for the grace period, merely saw other people asking for it and suggested something that might be either a bit easier to implement or to get it working right. Never felt much need for it myself.

Like the other posters, I too was surprised by the WLAN_INFRA on the pop-up. I know we're all supposed to be geeks, but it's a bit too geeky a description on a simple pop-up message that's simply designed to inform you autodisconnect is monitoring $connection.

There doesn't seem to be any specific settings for Ad-hoc Wi-Fi, so at least as far as the pop-ups go, why not just go with Bluetooth, GPRS and WiFi? Leave everything else for the log file as it is right now.

Only problem I've had was that I recently had autodisconnect monitoring a connection that downloaded, through the Micro-B browser, a buttload of stuff.. Had a tail -f running on the log file just to see how much I was downloading and the thing stopped updating after the initial entry. The bluetooth checker, however, was working properly. This was before the latest update, btw.

The Following User Says Thank You to kerneld For This Useful Post:
I have a quick question, I had a look at the wiki and Im not 100% sure on what the 2g/3g switch does, I assumed that if I was in 3g mode and the connection went idle for x amount if time it would revert to 2g, I have just unlocked my phone to find it sat on 3g mode (it was on 2g when I locked it)

Am I correct in assuming that my phone has perhaps tried to connect to retrieve emails and therefore autodisconnected has seen the traffic and switched to 3g from 2g and once the connection goes idle it will go back to 2g?

I tried experimenting with AutoDisconnect 2 days ago and since then, my phone won't connect to T-Mobile's USA network faster than 2.5G (I'd previously enjoyed always-on 3G in my neighborhood).

I reflashed the firmware and eMMC last night, re-installed everything BUT Auto-Disconnect, and the problem persists.

Anyone else experiencing low connections speeds on T-Mo USA?

Happy to field questions where I can help.
================================================

Replying to my own post. Problem identified: localized T-Mobile 3G outage in my neighborhood. "We're working on several towers there" the rep told me...

Happy to field questions where I can help.
================================================

Could you maybe add some higher values then 8 ? Cause my 15" keep getting resettet.

I was hoping to be able to use the command below in a desktop widget to switch autodisonnect on and off without diving into menus (mainly so I can enable push email if I need it). It doesn't seem to be working though. Is there another way to enable it or not with a shell command, or from the desktop.

Right now if you need it and if a simple shortcut to AutoDisconnect on the Desktop is not enough for you, you can download the app "Desktop Widget" and then use the following commands (when disconnected to the internet) :

Enable AutoDisconnect :

Code:

gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/autodisconnect/param_enabled true

Disable AutoDisconnect :

Code:

gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/autodisconnect/param_enabled false

Cheers

Originally Posted by digittante View Post
Replying to my own post. Problem identified: localized T-Mobile 3G outage in my neighborhood. "We're working on several towers there" the rep told me...
I've had that problem last night too (in my neighborhood). I couldn't even get 2.5G until this morning.

Edit: What is defined as VOIP and IM/Chat connections? I'm trying to set it up so it's using the beta dual switch mode with my IM connections since I don't need 3G connected just for IM sessions.

I usually use

Google Talk
Epage's Google Voice plugin

And disabled (I only turn them on when I use them since I don't have many contacts I talk to on there):

Skype, and a SIPP/VOIP service.

I have it set to check the interval every 5 minutes after 30 seconds. And the minimum traffic volume is 10 KB/minute. But no matter what happens it seems to stay on dual mode.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-06-16 at 12:14.

Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
I was hoping to be able to use the command below in a desktop widget to switch autodisonnect on and off without diving into menus (mainly so I can enable push email if I need it). It doesn't seem to be working though. Is there another way to enable it or not with a shell command, or from the desktop.
These settings have changed in the last versions :

Code:
/* General */

/*
    0 : never
    1 : always
    2 : when not charging
    3 : when locked
    4 : when not charging AND locked
  */

gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/autodisconnect/param_running_options VALUE

The Following User Says Thank You to calvin_42 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I've had that problem last night too (in my neighborhood). I couldn't even get 2.5G until this morning.

Edit: What is defined as VOIP and IM/Chat connections? I'm trying to set it up so it's using the beta dual switch mode with my IM connections since I don't need 3G connected just for IM sessions.

I usually use

Google Talk
Epage's Google Voice plugin

And disabled (I only turn them on when I use them since I don't have many contacts I talk to on there):

Skype, and a SIPP/VOIP service.

I have it set to check the interval every 5 minutes after 30 seconds. And the minimum traffic volume is 10 KB/minute. But no matter what happens it seems to stay on dual mode.
VOIP = Skype
IM/Chat = Jabber/MSN

If you check one of these settings in AutoDisconnect UI, it won't disconnect you while using them (accounts have to be enabled). So if you want to be disconnected regardless, uncheck them.