Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
No worries guys, if he is talking about a reflash Ill gladly give him all the directions needed.

But you guys obviously arent too windows savy I see. Back in the pre-XP days when Windows was running atop DOS, the term format c: was equal to wiping the hard drive and starting from scratch It was more about getting rid of the drives content in a quick way rather than wanting to tinker with the filesystem... In short: too many BSOD/Bluescreen of Death meant format c: is needed. Thus I guess cross3131 wants to clean up after gathering knowledge on what to install from devel and what not

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by cross3131 View Post
i can't install or upgrade any programs.It always says "conflicting application packages". I am really fed up.
What can i do for this?
By far the quickest way out of trouble is to re-flash the Fiasco image with the latest 1.2 update, do you know how to do this?.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by schaggo View Post
No worries guys, if he is talking about a reflash Ill gladly give him all the directions needed.

But you guys obviously arent too windows savy I see. Back in the pre-XP days when Windows was running atop DOS, the term format c: was equal to wiping the hard drive and starting from scratch It was more about getting rid of the drives content in a quick way rather than wanting to tinker with the filesystem... In short: too many BSOD/Bluescreen of Death meant format c: is needed. Thus I guess cross3131 wants to clean up after gathering knowledge on what to install from devel and what not
Yes i fully understand you but is not normal to format the N900 as the way forward is to simply do a re-flash which is the equivelent of a format so if you know how to advise him on that then go for it but i dont see him on this thread right now.

Well yes, on the N900 format in that meaning equals reflash... Sorry by the way Im answering from my N900 and obviously it took me too long to type in the answer. I didnt notice other people replied in the thread.

So as I suggested, cross wants to erase all the devices content and get back to factory default. The way to do this is a reflash, not of the OS but the data partition. Ill provide you with instructions once I get home. Give me 'bout half an hour...

Last edited by schaggo; 2010-06-19 at 18:35.

all i would need to do is update my n900.I updated it and problem solved

So no more instructions needed?

The Following User Says Thank You to schaggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by cross3131 View Post
all i would need to do is update my n900.I updated it and problem solved
Mind to share with us how you accomplish that? TIA,

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
no more instructions needed thanks.I updated n900's software and problem solved

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
I REALLY wish someone would put together a Wiki about all the "levels" of wiping/replacing and what elements they touch and leave alone. E.g. re-flashing leaves the Cell info and some parts of /user untouched. Is there a process to put an N900 back to "out of the box" state? It seems there are a few "refresh" processes less than re-flashing.

Could someone make a table of all these elements (cell data/kernal/user data/...) are cleaned by which processes?

Thanks

It's rather simple. I don't quite know if you can go all the way "out of the box" but I think so. Reflashing both images without a subsequent reboot should pretty much equal exactly the state the device was in when it left the factory.

Flashing the OS wipes and reinstates the factory state of all core system functionality related data. All main system files plus the integrated stuff like browser executables, e-mail client and so on.
Flashing the eMMC wipes clean or better replaces that part of the memory where user generated content is stored with Nokias idea of content needed on a device leaving the factory (eg. demo music files, demo video clips, demo wallpaper images, demo [fill gap]). What else is there on the device other than the OS partition(s) and the user data?

Edit: I just checked the wiki. Seems quite clear to me what gets erased with which image. See yourself:
Flashing a new rootfs image on your device will reset the device back to factory defaults and remove all data except those on the (internal and uSD) memory card: preferences, bookmarks, installed applications, with a single exception that any previously-set lock code will be kept and not reset to the factory-default of "12345". So basically flashing a rootfs fiasco image will keep your /home/user and MyDocs data (first boot will wipe /home/opt though). Flashing a EMMC fiasco image will wipe your complete eMMC internal memory card, thus resetting /home and MyDocs to whatever is in the image.
https://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_..._does_it_do.3F

Last edited by schaggo; 2010-06-20 at 17:24.