Originally Posted by raphseraph View Post
Give someone the strength? Talk about an arrogant comment. You think you are some sort of smart-phone user therapist?

How about FINDING the strength to learn the language? "Worser"?

Small wonder you never became proficient on the N900. Sophisticated devices like this one require literacy on the part of the user.

Go post your joy on the Android forums. They have more room for useless threads like this one, that does not provide a single speck of information concerning the device you are touting. It seems you approached it the same way you did the N900.

And I disagree. You ARE a runt.

Why are you being so sensitive and emotional.., picking on petty grammatical mistakes, all this coz deep down you know what im saying is true!

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Suffolk
Originally Posted by raphseraph View Post
Give someone the strength? Talk about an arrogant comment. You think you are some sort of smart-phone user therapist?

How about FINDING the strength to learn the language? "Worser"?

Small wonder you never became proficient on the N900. Sophisticated devices like this one require literacy on the part of the user.

Go post your joy on the Android forums. They have more room for useless threads like this one, that does not provide a single speck of information concerning the device you are touting. It seems you approached it the same way you did the N900.

And I disagree. You ARE a runt.
Oh dear, that was all really very unnecessary wasn't it?

You know I spend less time here lately than ever, but I still can't help popping back now and again to read the good stuff and because I still use my NIT's. Yet when I read juvenile posts like this I really wonder why I bother.

How about wiping that vitriol from your spittle flecked chin son...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torsen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
There are a lot of posts like this, if you're not sure, then make sure you are sure.

Like many, many before me have said, the N900+Maemo are the most open, most Desktop like GNU/Linux based mobile device out there. If you want a device that will literally do what you can do on your desktop/laptop, but put it in your pocket (performance aside) then the N900 is your only choice.

There are bugs a plenty, but no show stoppers IMO, the flexibility is worth the N900's weight in gold :P
Welllllll... until you need some customer service, parts, support or run into a serious flaw or bug that can only be fixed by Nokia and then have to either wait on it--or worse, wait and end up never seeing it fixed. Don't forget to weigh in all the Nokia hardware/closed-source roadblocks in the OS in addition to all that freedom they gave you. Ah right, and don't forget that you can't just walk into a store for repairs/replacement in most cases. You have to MAIL it and have faith that it'll not get damaged in shipping, lost or even just stuck in an undelivered bin in the post office. GOOD LUCK if you end up calling Nokia to insist that you DID mail them your device to get repairs and they never got it.

Last edited by danramos; 2010-07-04 at 09:09.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
if only the N900 had never been a phone, then we would not have seen all the threads about switching to a different phone...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
if only the N900 had never been a phone, then we would not have seen all the threads about switching to a different phone...
If the N900 had never been a phone, it would have been an Internet Tablet and more resources would have probably gone into making the next better tablet instead of this garbagy parody of a phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Africa View Post
Why are you being so sensitive and emotional.., picking on petty grammatical mistakes, all this coz deep down you know what im saying is true!
You might have had a valid argument there, if your initial post had actually said anything..

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Welllllll... until you need some customer service, parts, support or run into a serious flaw or bug that can only be fixed by Nokia and then have to either wait on it--or worse, wait and end up never seeing it fixed. Don't forget to weigh in all the Nokia hardware/closed-source roadblocks in the OS in addition to all that freedom they gave you. Ah right, and don't forget that you can't just walk into a store for repairs/replacement in most cases. You have to MAIL it and have faith that it'll not get damaged in shipping, lost or even just stuck in an undelivered bin in the post office. GOOD LUCK if you end up calling Nokia to insist that you DID mail them your device to get repairs and they never got it.
Was that pointed at me? Because I don't see any relation to my post and your obvious frustrated venting...

I'm sorry if you've had issues getting your device repaired, what bugs do you feel are show stoppers that are not being fixed?

I brought the N900 knowing all of its shortcomings. I knew the Ovi store didn’t exit, I knew there were like 100 apps at the time and I knew I could have brought a laptop for the price if I wanted to…

I also knew that even if it had a 1ghz processor, it would lag occasionally and as it was a “pc”, after a few days, memory leaks would slow the thing down and I would need to “reboot”

But what I wanted was a phone which I could develop apps to make my life much easier.

It’s a shame the transition from VB/Windows programming to Qt has not been smooth (something Nokia have improved on with the latest release of Qt).

I would like to try out the android platform and from videos I have seen, the N900 runs the platform much better maemo… (I.e. it “feels” quicker)

If your not sure what phone to buy yet, hold off and buy a £10 phone until you are.

As for these threads, on this forum, I think it’s a bit pointless as I doubt Nokia pay much attention as it’s a community forum (and a very good community at that!).

I have a few issues with the N900 from a programming/development perspective and I intend to voice that directly to Nokia, not this community as it’s their fault not this community’s.

Oh, and I am not a big fan of Google anymore as I do think they seem to take over the world. Wouldn’t be surprised if all the Google phones sent statistics to Google on what you do with the phone, who you text etc…

The Following User Says Thank You to TheAccountant For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Not true.
The N95 had a firmware update after 2 years of its release.

So, what you're saying is just pure speculation, and I'm having none of it.
Personal experience, not speculation. I had to take my E70 in for repair under warranty because of a non-functioning keyboard (some keys were borked) they said they had to replace the motherboard. Just after a year buying it (ie just after the warranty had expired) the same problem occurred. However this time after factory resetting the phone the keyboard worked again. But for my peace of mind I wanted it looked at and took it in to Nokia service, they said it's been discontinued and need to get spare parts from abroad. So I told them to stuff it. Luckily the keyboard is still surviving.

Just because the E70 didn't sell as well as the N95, doesn't give Nokia the right to drop support just like that. Especially when at the time of purchase it was practically[*] their top-end "business" phone.
[*] Not sure whether the E90 was around at that time.

Originally Posted by Africa View Post
You haven't said anything else but stated your opinions. What makes you think your opinions are more "true" than his, my, my dog?

Tags
delete me, fanboys gallery, user fail, worstthreadever